Have summoners summon fewer, more powerful allies
issueid=2108 04-11-2013 05:51 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Have summoners summon fewer, more powerful allies

Currently, summoners generate an enormous amount of monsters. I feel the current volume is bad for a couple reasons:
  1. It's very binary: it tends to lead to situations which are either impossible or trivial to deal with (usually the latter in my experience). If you have to fight through 40 spiders, either you take negligible amounts of damage, or you are almost certainly going to die.
  2. Regardless of difficulty, it's incredibly tedious to deal with. Personally, I find dealing with summoners probably the most frustrating aspect of the game.

I suggest reducing the total number of summons down to 2-8 (perhaps more for late game summoners like Yulgash). That's enough to block the PC in an open space, but not so many that it's impossible to power through a couple summons and make a break for it. Making the smaller number of summons tougher would make summoners more of a genuine challenge, and would make more sense for summoners who are currently much more powerful than their summons.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2108
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 13
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 17
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-22-2014 07:52 AM
The Creator
Three changes:
1. Monsters are less likely to summon (about half as likely).
2. The more common a summoner is the fewer monsters will be summoned with one summons.
3. A few summoned monsters might be slightly more powerful than average.

01-22-2014 09:11 AM
So basically a Werewolf (common) might summon 7 or 8 wolves, whereas a Werewolf King (very rare) might summon 20 or 30 super wolves? That's pretty cool, it both makes regular summoners easier to deal with, at the same time making the rare ones absolutely terrifying.

01-22-2014 10:10 AM
Ancient Member
Great change, pretty much what the community agreed should be done with summoners' problem.

03-06-2014 09:26 PM
Ancient Member
Just want to pitch in and say this is a great change, but I have a VERY important question:

How is "more common" determined? I mainly ask because I absolutely despise chaos wizards - as with most summons, none of their summons are ever a problem, but they're always a slog to get through, etc. However, it's actually extremely rare to encounter a chaos wizard outside of the chaos temples / D:48/50 because they're DL 35-ish and have very low weighting percent (they are about 5x more common than ki-rin and show up 5 DL later, so yeah). So: will chaos wizards also summon less even though they are no strictly a "more common" monster, but are in fact a very commonly encountered (and annoying!) monster?

+ Reply