Remove "Try again - and harder!" text prompt from the end of doors that do "not budge at all"
issueid=5932 01-18-2018 01:21 AM
Number of reported issues by Kelibath: 25
Remove "Try again - and harder!" text prompt from the end of doors that do "not budge at all"

As title; remove the "Try again - and harder!" text prompt from the end of the text that prints when kicking a trapped door that "does not budge at all".
Currently it prints out automatically regardless of the door's trapped status, and thus in the case of trapped doors is somewhat mean and malevolent advice ;)
The game actively telling new players to kill themselves via door traps seems a bit unfair.

It could be set for example to only print after failing to kick down an untrapped-locked/closed door. This change would also work as a very subtle hint to new players to note the difference between trapped doors and doors that can simply be kicked down without peril. (Rather than the more posthumous reminder that "at all" currently stands for after Death by Fireball #1)

I considered the necessity of the command staying put for *brand* new adventurers, but it's very unlikely indeed a new palyer will find a trapped door before any normal locked one.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5932
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7 (Steam)
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 3.0.6
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 9
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-18-2018 12:55 PM
Voting against this, as I consider the "at all" message a bug and that it should be identical to the message of non-trapped doors. Why should you be able to determine a trap status of a door based on an in-game message format?

01-18-2018 09:33 PM
Well, trapped doors are even more unbudging than the normal doors.

01-19-2018 12:55 AM
So how do you try harder -- quaff a potion of Boost Strength?

01-19-2018 02:56 AM
Unfortunately, I'm against it too. The message is supposed to reflect the PC's thoughts, and if they don't know of the trap, there's no reason they would think differently at trapped and non-trapped doors. The game should not just hand out information that the player isn't supposed to have access to.

Except perhaps if the "at all" part, which corresponds to being trapped indicates that the door seems absolutely impenetrable, and your character gives up on kicking it down. But
1. The door being in impenetrable is in fact untrue;
2. There's no good reason a trap would in and of itself make a door more stable (and I also don't think the chances of kicking it down are actually any different in-game). Actually, if a trap is supposed to injure someone, you wouldn't want to make it impossible to activate; unless you just want to prevent them from entering, and trap is just an additional layer of protection.

So all in all, I agree with Harkila that the "at all" differentiation should be removed too, or made less reliable (though if I'm being honest I'm not entirely sure how the format of these messages behave at this exact time either, not paying much attention to them usually, and generally avoiding kicking down doors if at all possible).

01-19-2018 09:47 AM
Message "Try again - and harder!" looks out of place to me since it was introduced. I would change it on normal doors with "The door cracks!", "The door shakes!", "The door starts to break!". This way for doors that doesn't budge at all having no this message would make more sense.

+ Reply