Make Campaign Monsters generate at a higher level
issueid=2640 01-14-2014 10:15 AM
Number of reported issues by Dogbreath: 74
Make Campaign Monsters generate at a higher level
The "You feel a Blood Chilling Threat" monsters should generate 5-10 levels above the current dungeon danger level.

*NOTE* This post is edited from the original, to make it more coherent and let people vote on the issue. Original post (explains first 22 posts in thread included below)
Besides the apparent bug of about 1/2 of all "Blood Chilling Threat" monsters not actually being generated, the ones that are generated are usually extreme pushovers. I recommend they be generated 5-10 (or even 15) levels about the current danger level to make them an actual threat. (Or maybe just so they don't die when you blow on them too hard)

Original Post:
Of all the times I've gotten the "blood chilling threat" message, I've only encountered the monster ~40% of the time. The rest of the time, it gets killed by other monsters before I can see it. Basically, just make them like Jharod - completely ignored by other monsters on the level. That way people can actually see these monsters and enjoy them.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2640
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-15-2014 03:31 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Carter
while not annoying there are some quite frustrating ones. There is a cat that walks through walls and an invisible cat. Both of which imho shouldn't have been allowed. if you spawn the first one your only option at a low level is to lure it to dwarftown and hope a guardian kills it.
Or just kill the boss? Cats aren't that strong.

01-15-2014 05:58 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
I faintly recall attempting to calm one with a few morsels and it didn't work, maybe I did not attempt enough, so maybe it is possible already as you confirmed. I must also look up the word 'meh', cannot believe I haven't done that yet. :)
I have no idea how taming with food works, as I was never able to do it consistently. Music works though if you are high clvl enough (and I was 50).

01-15-2014 10:54 PM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
Or just kill the boss? Cats aren't that strong.
Yeah. It's not like, say, a vortex that teleports or moves through walls. It's just a cat, they die very easily and don't do much damage. (was the cat named FlUfFy btw?)

01-16-2014 10:57 AM
Ancient Member
Ok, votable and voted

01-16-2014 08:14 PM
The Creator
Boss monsters now gain an extra 7 levels. You wished for it :-]

The code has no indications at all for monsters not being generated half of the time. As there is chance for random monsters not being able to fit onto the map, there might be some losses there,but it should be much less than 50%. I have improved that algorithm, too. Maybe I'll even implement a fail-safe algorithm where no monsters are lost at all as long as there is an acceptable spot on the map. Historically placement has been done in a heuristic way in order to save CPU time. With modern systems this no longer should be a concern.

01-16-2014 08:23 PM
The Creator
Ok, I now also have implemented a fail-safe algorithm. Shouldn't be a problem performance-wise nowadays.

01-18-2014 05:42 AM
I guess this solves the old bug report, and this RFE as well.
Other two RFEs you may want to look at: this about adjusting the spawn rate of boss monsters, and this about mentioning them in the flg.

+ Reply