New NPC - Rodney, the young mage
issueid=4728 04-22-2017 09:28 PM
Number of reported issues by Zap-zapper: 3
New NPC - Rodney, the young mage
Idea for new NPC

Rodney, the young mage would live in High Mountain Village. He would offer player to identify, uncurse or bless any item, enchant armor or weapon, write a scroll (assuming that player have already read the scroll he wants Rodney to write), or to charge a wand. Not for free of course, the price would depend on item and it's enchantment, service itself, cursed/doomed status, charisma/appearance, etc-etc-etc

I think he would be quite useful. Also, references.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4728
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7 (Steam)
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-22-2017 10:28 PM
Ancient Member
That sounds kinda fun!

04-28-2017 05:06 PM
Rodney, the young mage,He would offer player to identify, uncurse or bless any item, enchant armor or weapon, write a scroll or to charge a wand
"young mage" its too rediculous,it may be option after gate closer,for infinite game lovers,maybie...

04-28-2017 09:29 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JagaJazzist
"young mage" its too rediculous,it may be option after gate closer,for infinite game lovers,maybie...
Yeah, as proposed this would be essentially allowing the purchase of unlimited scrolls of great identify, holy water, scrolls of defense, scrolls of protection, scrolls of increase melee damage, scrolls of increase melee accuracy, scrolls of charging, and magical writing sets. I think it would be incredibly difficult to set appropriate prices unless you imposed some other limitation on these services.

Also, the proposal is missing a good reason for adding this NPC. Obviously, having all these services at your disposal is "quite useful", but why is it good for the game?

04-29-2017 12:35 PM
Ancient Member
the problem is that price is not really limiting factor in Adom by midgame.... so yeah, no chance of this being balanced.

Making this sort of NPC as unlockable through some quest chain and service being limited (3-4 scrolls, etc.) could work. Well, maybe.

04-29-2017 06:31 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Soirana
the problem is that price is not really limiting factor in Adom by midgame.... so yeah, no chance of this being balanced.

Making this sort of NPC as unlockable through some quest chain and service being limited (3-4 scrolls, etc.) could work. Well, maybe.
He could also leave at a certain point, perhaps when the character reaches L10?

04-30-2017 04:08 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Grond
Also, the proposal is missing a good reason for adding this NPC. Obviously, having all these services at your disposal is "quite useful", but why is it good for the game?
Reasons are obvious. I assume there are only a few players who don't want them to exist... And those who don't are probably ancient players who care a lot about balance and feel like this can make game actually less enjoyable. That's why I'm not supporting this RFE too. It obsolates a lot of stuff - scrolls of uncursing, holy water, a couple of class powers and even spoils some race/class choices.

The only reason why I want this mage to exists is ability to enchant something - current alternative is unfortunately grinding. And I still would rather prefer this option to be available via smiting only to, say Weaponsmiths.

05-02-2017 11:05 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Soirana

Alternatively keep him available from turn 1 but with a (rather) hefty chance of him disappearing after every service? E.g. 1/3?
That way he'd be guaranteed but you'd need to think it through before using his services for something nice-to-have.

(Also, if I'd be to decide, I'd make the NPC female and with double the change of disappearing when interacting with female PCs (as a reference of males being more attractive to her). There are minor benefits of playing a female character now and males could have some flavour benefit as well, IMO. Also, not too many female NPCs.)

Not voting on this one - yet.

+ Reply