Add "equip" command to "manipulate item" menu
issueid=4125 11-30-2015 08:52 PM
Number of reported issues by ixi: 51
Add "equip" command to "manipulate item" menu
I was looking through my inventory and noticed a cool item. Why I shouldn't be able to equip it right away?

Currently you can view backpack with [I] command. Manipulate item submenu was a big step forward in UI since it allows to use item right away without quitting backpack menu, looking for correct key and looking for and item again.

However it lack the most common use case - equipping. So you have to follow and old scheme - navigate to inventory screen, look for the correct slot, unequip item if any and look for item which you wanted to equip once again.

Suggestion is simple - add "equip" command to "manipulate item" menu. My preference would be to unequip items automatically if slot is occupied but I'm not insisting on it.

Some thought on edge cases...
  • Equipping ring should give an error if gauntlets are equipped. Although I'd prefer a warning with a prompt asking whether I want to remove the gauntlets to equip this ring.
  • If slot is blocked by cursed item an error should be given. E.g. you won't be able to equip armor if you're already wearing one and wearing cursed girdle.
  • If you're trying to equip an item which fits more than one slot either additional prompt or multiple "equip with" commands should be there. E.g. torch can be equipped with right hand, with left hand and in tool slot.
  • I rarely want to equip, say, clothes in missile slot or with my hand but I don't mind if such possibility will be in manipulate item menu as well.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4125
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Modernized ADOM UI
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

12-28-2015 08:54 AM
The Creator
I like the idea but you shouldn't hold your breath for its implementation as the internal code for that part of ADOM is really complicated. But I will put it on the roadmap as the suggestion is very good and definitely worth the effort involved.

+ Reply