Use < and > for both ascending/descending
issueid=4012 11-18-2015 05:01 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Use < and > for both ascending/descending

Currently ADOM is differentiating the two commands. ADOM II already uses it exchangeably. So it might be a good optimization to let ADOM decide what you mean and use the keys for the "right" thing.

As far as I can see there is no situation in which both keys have a differing useful function in a specific situation. Or can you think of one?
Issue Details
Issue Number 4012
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Accepted
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM r61 (v2.0.0)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Modernized ADOM UI
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

11-18-2015 05:11 PM
It makes sense regarding game optimisation, and I've used them interchangeably by mistake from time to time. Why not?
The only thing I can think of is that if you're mis-hitting one of the two keys you might mean something else entirely (like ?) but the chances of that happening -on- a staircase are fairly low. Can't see it being a problem anywhere but the ID and Challenge mode, even then.

11-18-2015 05:14 PM
One answer might be if you press >> twice accidentally, as it is right now you don't end up going back up the stairs again. This might especially bother someone in the ID, when it means they just lost the level. On the other hand, that's not a really big problem, so I voted for it.

Maybe one thing you could do is bind < and > to a "use stairs" command, and then have "go down stairs" and "go up stairs" commands that aren't bound to any keys by default. Then if a player wanted the old behaviour, they could just modify the .kbd to bind < to "go up" and > to "go down".

11-18-2015 05:25 PM
Seconding wheals here - if they're interchangeable then there should be some kind of protection against >> and <<

11-18-2015 07:29 PM
Actually, the usage of < and > interchangeably might break the controlled teleport to stairs?

11-18-2015 07:49 PM
Ancient Member
It's not common, but I've sometimes, say, navigating to the up staircase when I wanted to go down and then hit the down key and realized I was at the wrong staircase. So, I do like the current differentiation and second wheals's comment about rebinding.

11-19-2015 04:59 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
I do like the current differentiation and second wheals's comment about rebinding.
I agree with it too.

11-19-2015 05:08 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
It's not common, but I've sometimes, say, navigating to the up staircase when I wanted to go down and then hit the down key and realized I was at the wrong staircase. So, I do like the current differentiation and second wheals's comment about rebinding.
Hm, I thought about it too but I'm sick with this even more: sometimes I'm going several level in a wrong direction and only then realising I'm getting down instead of getting up. :D I'm just always pressing key corresponding to the symbol.

How about compromise? Add a new command (use stairs) which would be set by default to < and >. If anyone likes the old system he would be able to change .kbd.

I'm giving preference to the new command since in NotEye it's harder to choose wrong stairs and mostly NotEye, not console version, will be attracting new players.

11-19-2015 05:56 PM
The distinction between < and > is also important when used in combination with the 'w' command to auto-go to the stairs of a direction, as with controlled teleport, as mentioned above. While I'm sure it's possible to have them remain and change only the actual move up/down stairs command it creates a bit of control weirdness where you'd w< and then could press > to go up. Personally, I'd not be in favour of changing it, it's a pretty well established roguelike convention. However, as a completely new single button to 'traverse stairs' and/or condensing both mouse actions into a single one, I think it would be fine.

12-27-2015 08:27 AM
The Creator
Some time having passed I also have to think about it once more.

+ Reply