Make the stat given by each Elemental Chaos Orb random
issueid=1872 01-28-2013 02:39 PM
Number of reported issues by quik: 20
Make the stat given by each Elemental Chaos Orb random
The game would get more variety

The Chaos Orbs are more or less always obtained in the same order (Water, Fire, Air, Earth, Mana) and they always give the same stats (Wi, St, Dx, To, Ma). I think it would be in the spirit of the roguelike randomness and replayability that each orb gives a random stat in each game.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1872
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 11
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 15
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-28-2013 02:49 PM
Ancient Member
The stats are appropriately thematic at the moment. This would also make the game considerably harder (you often need the Wi for ACW), so I vote against.

01-28-2013 03:11 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
The stats are appropriately thematic at the moment. This would also make the game considerably harder (you often need the Wi for ACW), so I vote against.
I can see your point with the thematic stats, although Willpower/Water, Strength/Fire and (maybe) Dexterity/Air are somewhat weak relationships.

About making the game considerably harder I must disagree. For some characters 10 Wi can be helpful but others can benefit more from other stats. Besides, Willpower can be easily raised with Morgia (at least in 1.1.1, not sure about the changes on this subject).

01-28-2013 03:15 PM
Ancient Member
Willpower is now subject to your potential limit when training with herbs. This has the potential to make the ACW much harder because he can confuse you (as if he wasn't hard enough already). The 10 Wi from the water orb helps offset this. (actually, willpower/water is the only one that I think is somewhat weak)

01-28-2013 03:18 PM
Ancient Member
To, Wi, and Dx are capped at your potential max for herb training. With a low Wi R/C, you could easily expect to finish the game with <20 Wi.

01-28-2013 03:35 PM
Ancient Member
The themes make perfect sense to me. There's even a Mad Minstrel song about the ties (written by me, admittedly).

01-28-2013 04:11 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
The themes make perfect sense to me. There's even a Mad Minstrel song about the ties
Exactly my thoughts.

01-29-2013 01:04 AM
Quote Originally Posted by quik
I can see your point with the thematic stats, although Willpower/Water, Strength/Fire and (maybe) Dexterity/Air are somewhat weak relationships.
Fire/Strength is a weak relationship, but the other two make perfect sense.

Water is the ultimate irresistable force - it just keeps pushing and pushing at things until it sweeps them away. Hence, willpower.

Air is highly dynamic, moving in all sorts of directions freely. Hence, dexterity.

On the other hand, I'd associate earth with strength, not fire. Fire, I'd probably associate with Learning, Mana, Perception, or Charisma. Learning because of its association with study, Mana because it's energy, Perception because it lets you see things, and Charisma because of fiery personalities. Of these, Learning is probably the best choice in context, as Perception and Charisma aren't important enough, and Mana is already suited more to the Mana orb.

01-29-2013 10:45 AM
Ancient Member
Fire causes damage, associated with raw strength. Note that the fire temple is the only one to contains giants, which obviously have a strength focus. Earth is hard to hurt, thus its association with the defensive toughness stat.

Fire definitely shouldn't be associated with learning - it burns books ;)

01-29-2013 11:23 AM
Ancient Member
Fire is the most active and destructive of the elements, so strength makes perfect sense to me. Although I always found Wi for water a bit weird, but Aielyn's interpretation is surprisingly good.

+ Reply