Name geographical objects in the Drakalor Chain
issueid=3331 09-24-2014 04:32 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by _Ln_: 97
Name geographical objects in the Drakalor Chain

So I got this wild idea to enhance mapping and navigation for new players by assigning unique names towards various parts of the Drakalor Chain. The in-game descriptions (a short something like "you enter the great forest of <foo>" will trigger every game only the first time you enter a tile of these locations. Once we all get accounted to it, it will be nice to answer questions about "where is that dungeon" by pointing them to the "outskirts of the <foo>". Additionally, it would be nice to add a section to the manual which lists major sightseeing places in the Drakalor Chain which can also be added to the graphical map you featured on the blog once (it only had dungeon captions).

Unfortunately, I'm not any good with naming, but if this RFE gets some likes, I'm sure people will spring up.

I would like to see the following locations named:
1. wilderness river and wilderness lake for generic directions
2. swamp near dwarven dungeon for this very dwarven dungeon (might also add it into Thrundarr's quest dialog)
3. mountain pass from mainland to the High King valley
4. small lake near ToTHK
5. all three major forests (one with unicorn glades , one near Terinyo and one in the upper part)
6. mountain formation around assassin's guild
7. road to the pyramid (offtopic: can we extend it to CoC?)
8. plane below ToEF

Opinions, names, additions are welcome.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3331
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r51
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-24-2014 04:37 PM
Ancient Member
BTW, if someone here haven't seen this - http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.c...-adom-map.html

Now imagine it with even more atmospheric names and mysterious locations :D

09-24-2014 10:08 PM
Ancient Member
I like it - although 2 things:
1) For #2 did you mean "swamp near dwarven GRAVEYARD"?
2) On the map you linked, it shows the WDC - is that the sort of thing you'd want on the map? Since it takes "discovery". (The back route to HMV is another potential one)

09-24-2014 10:22 PM
Ancient Member
I think it's a great idea to name the geographical objects... however, I wouldn't add messages in the game alerting the player when they enter one, because, how does the PC know the name of the place?

I think it would be nice if the NPC's mentioned those names, and also they could be on the official map (which is something the player, not the PC, sees), but they shouldn't be mentioned on entering.

Sorry, I'm a suckler for immersion.

09-24-2014 10:26 PM
Ancient Member
Amazing ideas Ln. I'm in for all the suggestions you listed in the OP.

+ Reply