Healthy diet in adom
issueid=4868 07-30-2017 09:43 AM
Number of reported issues by emilus: 48
Healthy diet in adom

I think that game should give small +1 bonus to all physical attributes:

Toughness, Strength, Dexterity and Appearance

if PC manage to keep his diet on healthy level for specific amount of turns.

for example if PC manage to:
- not eating cursed / rotten / poisoned /food / fresh corpses - only uncursed rations and cooked uncursed corpses /meat (preferably blessed)
- avoiding very hungry, starving and bloated status
- avoiding sweet snacks like candies, cakes, cookies.
- keep eating many fresh apples, melons, fresh meat, dwarven sausages, cooked lizards

His phisical attributes should increase with message "You feel full of vitality !"

also if PC manage to eat very healthy for extended time period there should be triggered special achievement for that.

Whaddya think ?
Issue Details
Issue Number 4868
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-30-2017 02:59 PM
Ancient Member
I don't think adding more micromanagement to the food system is a good thing; it's annoying enough as it is. This proposal discourages interacting with the fun part of the food system (corpse effects) and gives an unjustified reward for doing something almost everyone does: carrying around piles of cooked lizards (the only readily-available food that weighs a reasonable amount).

07-30-2017 08:14 PM
I highly doubt that almost everyone does all above.

The point is eating only uncursed cooked lizards alone will not give you bonus. You must avoid eating anyhing that can be unhealthy for extended period of time also mix fresh vegetables and fruits.
Avoid certain satiation statuses...
1+ to all physical stat reward is VERY justified in that case.

07-30-2017 08:17 PM
No Grond, is right. A lot of people actually would rather carry cooked lizards and eat corpses than deal with carrying rations and such. There is much more benefit to eating corpses than a +1 to stats.

Perhaps the problem lies not in the food, but in how heavy it is.

07-30-2017 10:31 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by emilus
The point is eating only uncursed cooked lizards alone will not give you bonus. You must avoid eating anyhing that can be unhealthy for extended period of time also mix fresh vegetables and fruits.
Avoid certain satiation statuses...
1+ to all physical stat reward is VERY justified in that case.
So the idea is that you would carry around a bunch of rations and then supplement from time-to-time with some of each type of food (fruit, meat) listed on your fourth point? Characters without strength of atlas will have difficulties subsisting on mainly rations. Unspoiled players would have a tough time figuring the system out due to the "extended period of time" required for a healthy diet to kick in, and the unknown frequency at which they have to eat fruit. It's a whole lot of complexity for something that won't be feasible or worthwhile for most characters to do.

07-31-2017 06:55 AM
Even if it was the case I wouldn't bother. No, ADOM is just not the game of this kind. Food simply has always been fun, unnatural and secondary aspect here. Say, would any 'normal' elf ever eat a corpse? Wouldn't humans get bafly poisoned for eating raw unlean rotten meat with their quite dirty hands? The same way ADOM isn't punishing it isn't rewarding.
If you really like micromanagement and would like to be encouraged to eat healthy food - Cataclysm DDA is the best bet.

08-02-2017 04:53 PM
The point is that in adom no one bothers eating so called 'healthy food' because it just provide very little satiation value, there are corpses everywhere where you can eat them uncooked without any penalty, later stomafilia, cooked lizards and thats it...all

I think that cooked food, fruits / veggies should have another nutricious value (counter )and when that value hit certain threshold (eating unhealthy food should reset that counter) there should be vitality bonus :
like increase PC lifespan or some appearance increase...(or maybe just simple achievment)...

I analogically there should be counter for eating unhealthy things for extended period of time like eating raw rotten corpses or cursed food should abuse appearance / lifespan.

+ Reply