Point buy doesn't adjust strength based on starting equipment
issueid=5119 09-25-2017 10:26 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Point buy doesn't adjust strength based on starting equipment

With point buy, combos such as hurthling weaponsmith can start out strained or overburdened due to their strength not being adjusted to be able to carry their starting equipment.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5119
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All without NotEye
Status Not a Bug
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 2.3.3
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-26-2017 05:55 PM
The Creator
Actually that's intentional as otherwise you could kind of weasel your points into other attributes and gain a lot of strength for free.

Point buy was criticized for having things happening behind the scenes and now nothing at all happens behind the scenes.

So as far as I cam concerned this is a feature but not a bug. Because it also allows you to e.g. play weak weaponsmiths if you are into that :-)

09-26-2017 06:27 PM
Ancient Member
The current way avoids weaseling, but it also puts point buy weaponsmiths at a significant disadvantage compared to other generation methods. In particular, hurthling weaponsmith can't avoid starting out strained, even if they put the maximum possible number of points in strength. There's probably not a great solution for these edge cases, so I can understand keeping it as is.

09-27-2017 11:21 AM
Ancient Member
We can just make hurthling smiths start with a girdle of carrying.

09-27-2017 05:33 PM
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
We can just make hurthling smiths start with a girdle of carrying.
..or just accept the fact that they picked a rather burdensome profession. ;)

09-27-2017 06:10 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
Actually that's intentional as otherwise you could kind of weasel your points into other attributes and gain a lot of strength for free.
Hobbit smiths gain lot of strength for free anyway... I don't know maybe let weaponsmiths forge without anvil or allow them to scramble makeshift one from rocks and other gear.

+ Reply