Elementalist spontaneous casting
issueid=2025 03-20-2013 10:41 AM
Number of reported issues by plllizzz9: 14
Elementalist spontaneous casting

After winning with an Elementalist not long enough, I noticed some issues with the class. It's mainly with the spells they automatically learn and spells they actually DON'T learn, even if they feel like they should. In the end I basically played a Wizard with slightly worse learning and book drop rates. Anyway, suggestions:

* make the number of castings for higher end spells [Fireball/I.Fireball/Ice Ball] a tad higher - for me Elementalist feels more as a blaster-focused caster, but he gets easily outdamaged by any wizard that can spam those with his 700+ castings; making them count on a lucky book drop to actually use their strongest spells is a bit of an oddity

* why don't they learn Lightning Ball/Bolt at all? Like, I can understand Acid, since it's far from the classical elements, but seeing as Air Elementals use lightning, and that a lightning bolt can be part of elemental storm, it'd be understandable

* add Petrification to their gained spell list - this is a bit of a stretch and most likely the part where most people disagree, but Petrification always had a feel of 'earth' magic for me, and having only one [Earthquake] looks sort of small for a master of elemental fury; alternatively, add a new spell with I. Fireball like mechanic that casts a giant boulder at enemies, all of my money for that...
Issue Details
Issue Number 2025
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 6
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 12
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 10
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-20-2013 04:07 PM
Ancient Member
I couldn't agree more with you.
I always thought of elementalists as sort of specialized wizards that deal specifically with the namesake elements and focus on those - as such they should get additional +damage to elemental spells, with each PC level.
Additionally, considering that elements actually consist of fire, water, air and earth, adding extra spells to the auto-learn list for elementalists would be lore-friendly and a clear improvement for an otherwise enjoyable but slightly limited class, that doesn't really trade those limits for advantages. Nothing an elementalist does cannot be done equally well or better by a wizard.
The ability to get spells without having to read spellbooks is nice but as a sole redeeming feature, I think it's not enough.
Class powers are nice for elementalists but they are hardly exclusive since resistances are easily obtained at the respective levels, water breathing can be obtained via items, weather effects mitigated by blankets.
Elemental storm is very dangerous if cast indoors due to unpredictability and it's impossible to effectively use it against diversified monsters with different resistances.

The spells I would see as viable for elementalists would additionally include all air and earth elements, so aside from earthquake:
Lightning bolt, mystic shovel (since it is undoubtedly related to earth), teleportation (arguably air spell) and petrification as the ultimate offensive earth spell.

I believe these should become available for elementalists, but all class spells should have more initial charges and cost a bit less, to be on par with wizards' 40% spell cost reduction for elemental spells.
At the same time, to further distinguish between wizards and elementalists, they should receive significant penalties to casting spells from other schools of magic, to reflect their narrow specialty in the elemental area.
As a last note, summonable elementals should not be random, there should be a menu to choose from the four types.
Also greater elementals should become available at lvl50, similarly to necromancer's constantly increasing list of undead slaves that eventually culminates with liches at lvl ~45 (not sure exactly).
Perhaps at the cost of 5-6 mana points, a power-adjusting greater elemental of chosen kind should appear?

I believe this would greatly improve the class without making it overly powerful and reflect its specialization in elemental magic.

03-30-2013 03:15 PM
Elementalists definitely always struck me as a 'handicapped' caster class. I would like to see them get a bit more diverse, perhaps learn a spell that nobody else has? I would love to see a summon vortex spell.

03-30-2013 04:34 PM
And I bet you do not want to get hurt when your pet vortex explodes on the square next to you?

03-30-2013 07:00 PM
I would order them to attack monsters and watch the glory unfold at a safe distance ;)

And I wouldn't even be mad if it meant getting rid of a feline, I do that all the time

11-19-2013 12:42 AM
Ancient Member
bump this one - more castings and different spells is really a must for this class.

11-19-2013 05:08 AM
Ancient Member
Thanks for bumping this, I somehow missed it. I rather like how Elementalists are somewhat limited. It does make them feel unique. I find them rather challenging to play and would hate that to dissapear.

Their spells do make them a rather strong class early game. In my westside story challenge they were one of the better classes at surviving harsh times. I am surprised that somebody would want more castings, they already receive so much.

I would also hate to see them become just like wizards.

Also when character levelling is fixed in the near future their class powers will become more relevant and they will have more castings anyway as they will level faster.

11-19-2013 05:58 AM
Ancient Member
It does make them unique, but sometimes i just feel that they aren't "elementalist" enough. My suggestion would be more focus on ball spells which makes them more of a "close and dirty" fighter?

11-19-2013 06:17 AM
Ancient Member
Burning hands does a good job at the 'close and dirty' element of their spells. I see the balls, complimented with the storm, as simply an emergency option when surrounded. And improved ball as an option, say maybe against a tension room of ghost lords, for example.

11-19-2013 11:47 AM
Ancient Member
Any spellcasting class is going to end up worse than a wizard in the endgame; that's because wizards are so freakishly strong and get all of the spells as late game class powers. Wizards aren't supposed to be the baseline balance point, though.

That said, elementalists could in fact do with more lightning in their diet. They do learn Lightning Ball, as far as I remember (only a couple castings per level, though), but no Lightning Bolt.

Petrification seems alright to add - it's not a very good spell to begin with.

11-19-2013 01:15 PM
Ancient Member
I already said this in another thread but I'll repeat it: At level 50, elementalists should be able to ignore walls - like ghosts, earth elementals or stone grues - at a cost of power points (depending on danger level of the current area).
That would make them truly outstanding as a class, while not overpowered, since anybody reaching lvl 50 is already powerful and walls don't really present much of an obstacle with numerous means of digging or teleporting.

11-19-2013 02:02 PM
Ancient Member
I do think elementalists need some mid- and late-game buffing, not due to difficulty (they're not among the most difficult classes) but to make them more distinct, not only poor man's wizards.

However I think in a large part, this might fix itself if the leveling system is improved as often mentioned in the forums, so that characters don't typically reach D:50 being level 30 or so, to gain all the rest of the levels there with the balors.

Someone brave should make that an RFE.

11-19-2013 08:50 PM
here's an idea, give them more castings of their natural spells and mindcrafter grade book learning

+ Reply