Snow
issueid=34 03-13-2008 08:46 AM
Number of reported issues by ElDeR cHaOs GoD: 2
Snow
Snow in Jade

Simple idea but whilst ADOM had mountains, it didn't have snow! Levels of snow could be dependent on the time of year, terrain etc. Walking in snow could sap energy (reduced by wearing snow shoes etc.) Skis could give a speed boost and skiing could be a talent. Those without cold resistance or some kind of cloak could be damaged... a bit like the Ice level in ADOM.
Issue Details
Issue Number 34
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 19
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-13-2008 12:25 PM
Good point. I hope it's in. Given that JADE is suposed to generate its own world, it would be strange if there were no snow.

I sure hope to see tundras and taiga, frozen rivers (with bridges akin to those created by blasting ice spells at the water), slippery slopes, snow covered hills and forests. Frozen land, and snowdrifts that slow you down, like the swamp and rugged terrain. Snow caverns... etc. Got carried away for a sec.

As to the skills, I think Ranger's class powers will be more useful this way, same for Woodsman. Perhaps its usefulness should be expanded to aid in crossing other difficult terrain, or maybe Survival should also help here.

Oh, and why limit ourselves to snow only, Deserts should be in as well. Sand deserts, rock deserts, sandstorms, quicksands.

03-13-2008 01:49 PM
Ancient Member
Jungle, lakes and oceans too. Perhaps more exotic terrain types as well: wasteland, lava fields, scorched ground, volcanoes... BTW volcanoes could erupt periodically, creating lava fields and scorched ground.

03-13-2008 01:57 PM
I want to be able to make a snowman!

"You roll balls of snow around for a little while."
"You put the Regular Carrot onto the snowman's face."
"You put the Crown of Ice onto the snowman. The snowman beams with glee!"

And throw snowballs at ice kobolds.

03-14-2008 05:23 PM
Lack of skiing skill could also make you like to fall over and hurt yourself! Also, you could be more prone to fall in crevices etc.

Elves, would of course not have a speed reduction on snow, whilst smaller races such as hobbits and gnomes would be much slower. Rangers would also have bonuses.

I would like to see things like Alpine bandits (very fast moving), siberian tigers, polar bears, caribou (can run away, need high missile skill to shoot, lots of experience...)

03-14-2008 07:12 PM
Yetis! :)

But a big world means many different climatic places, of course. In case of snow we should also start to think of some new fantasy monsters to live in there.

For example, we have your basic gryphons, which are a combination of lion and eagle. Analogically, polar gryphons might combine siberian tiger and penguin :) It can't fly, but it swims well.

Drifters - they pretend to be snowdrifts, then suddenly they LEAP!

Ice golems, maybe even snow golems? :)

Also, the snow environment gives me the idea for weather effects like snowstorms or sandstorms that would reduce the visibility range.

03-14-2008 09:28 PM
Great ideas Marek! I really like the visibility idea (would work well with desert storms). I'd love to tame a Yeti!! No news from The Maker yet...

Oooh, heavy equipment in snow wouldn't be a good idea either...

03-14-2008 09:47 PM
Hm and metal armour maybe cools you down a lot? I wouldn't fancy having a metal helmet straight on my head in freezing temperatures.

Of course we could just assume that the player is wearing some textile under it.

03-15-2008 02:11 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Marek14
Yetis! :)

But a big world means many different climatic places, of course. In case of snow we should also start to think of some new fantasy monsters to live in there.

For example, we have your basic gryphons, which are a combination of lion and eagle. Analogically, polar gryphons might combine siberian tiger and penguin :) It can't fly, but it swims well.

Drifters - they pretend to be snowdrifts, then suddenly they LEAP!

Ice golems, maybe even snow golems? :)

Also, the snow environment gives me the idea for weather effects like snowstorms or sandstorms that would reduce the visibility range.
Tangent, but are you Marek from the DoomRL forums?

03-15-2008 09:37 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Tannis
Tangent, but are you Marek from the DoomRL forums?
What is DoomRL?

In other words, I'm most likely not.

03-15-2008 01:55 PM
I like that idea. It would be also nice if weather would have serious influence on PC. Like if you'd like venture travel into frozen northlands(or whatever) without any warm clothes, you would probably freeze to death.

Off topic:

DoomRL is a roguelike(very good roguelike in my opinion) game based on old school Doom first person shooter. It has many nice features including original sounds and music.

http://doom.chaosforge.org/

03-15-2008 02:24 PM
I guess we'll need some more information about how the world of Jade is supposed to look like. Will it be a globe with realistic climatic zones? Or a hodgepodge of climates without regard for realism?

It's not just snow monsters - I'd like if EVERY place had some endemic monsters. Some ecologically-minded governments might even declare some of them endangered, and their killing would be unlawful :)

03-15-2008 03:16 PM
What is DoomRL?

In other words, I'm most likely not.
Guess you're not. DoomRL is Doom RogueLike.

http://doom.chaosforge.org/

Quite fine for a coffee break roguelike.

/end tangent

03-17-2008 11:52 PM
I guess we'll need some more information about how the world of Jade is supposed to look like. Will it be a globe with realistic climatic zones? Or a hodgepodge of climates without regard for realism?
Most roguelikes and fantasy games seem to be set in temperate, european climate. No wonder since Tolkein lived in the UK. So upland areas with snow would be entirely appropriate, as well as great fun.

Some ecologically-minded governments might even declare some of them endangered, and their killing would be unlawful :)
Yes, what a good idea haha. Your alignment might move towards chaos but you could sell the animal hides for good money on the black market!

03-18-2008 03:11 PM
Quote Originally Posted by ElDeR cHaOs GoD
Yes, what a good idea haha. Your alignment might move towards chaos but you could sell the animal hides for good money on the black market!
come on, endangered species ? For god's sake, it's a fantasy world we're talking about. Forces of CHAOS invade the continent , corruption plagues the earth , bandits are at large and murder , rape and pillage , and you lot want to implement ecology ? Now , you people can't be serious with such ideas. It's an eat-or-be-eaten world not some environmentalists' paradise. Big NAY for such ideas.

Climate influencing PC is interesting. Getting damage from cold, if you don't wear furs - nice . But don't go too far , cause instead of making it fun , it would simply become a pain in the ar*e .

03-18-2008 04:53 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Popers
come on, endangered species ? ... It's an eat-or-be-eaten world not some environmentalists' paradise.
I think in a big world such as JADE's, there's room for both. In ADOM there's Terinyo and there's less bright places. The Fellowship of the Ring met anything from Bombadil to Balrog. The real world has hippies as it has mass murderers.

It creates some perspective and contrast. One place you get fined if you kill a marsh tiger, another place you're screwed if you don't. Live (or die) and learn.

03-18-2008 05:00 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Popers
come on, endangered species ? For god's sake, it's a fantasy world we're talking about. Forces of CHAOS invade the continent , corruption plagues the earth , bandits are at large and murder , rape and pillage , and you lot want to implement ecology ? Now , you people can't be serious with such ideas. It's an eat-or-be-eaten world not some environmentalists' paradise. Big NAY for such ideas.
First of all, we don't know anything about the story. Maybe a catastrophe is coming, but it's not widely known yet, so people are continuing their life as usual.

Plus, people resist changes. They prefer being petty. If a dragon arrives to your town and announces that he wants to eat the king's daughter, and the king will shroud the town in black cloth to signify his deep sorrow, you bet there will be a committee which will compare various offer of cloth, and will decide the best supplier based on price, quality, and the degree of blackness. And they will love that job, because dealing with this problem means they don't have to deal with the OTHER problem, i.e., the dragon.

And likewise, if you are a captain of the royal guard, and you have a choice between going against a group of chaos knights, steeped in magic and so horrific that your eyes bleed just from looking at their picture, OR arresting a guy who killed an endangered species of eagle, and if you know that there's lots of other soldiers and guardsmen in the palace, so it's not like what you do AFFECTS anything, you know, anything SIGNIFICANT... what are you going to do?

03-18-2008 05:42 PM
Ancient Member
Whilst "endagered" species is I think a silly idea for a medieval style of world, there is precedent for certain creatures being illegal to kill because they're the nation's patron animal. A kingdom with a lion on its crest might make it illegal to kill lions for instance. Or it could simply reward those that don't (like with kitties in ADOM). Then again there could be a black market in the city for lion fur if you want to make a quicker profit...

03-18-2008 08:05 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
Whilst "endagered" species is I think a silly idea for a medieval style of world, there is precedent for certain creatures being illegal to kill because they're the nation's patron animal. A kingdom with a lion on its crest might make it illegal to kill lions for instance. Or it could simply reward those that don't (like with kitties in ADOM). Then again there could be a black market in the city for lion fur if you want to make a quicker profit...
ok, this sounds very reasonable, as opposed to the "endangered species" idea, and would definitely add some flavour to the game.

Back to the climate - it would be nice ,as long as the weather is not a subject to flexible alterations. I mean weather changes as observed in Dwarf Fortress. In DF it enhances the gameplay, but for the prize of MUCH higher system requirements. I know TB doesn't really care about that , but let's be at least a bit reasonable. Making JADE unplayable for a whole lot of players , just because of "yay, it's snowing" feature , is not what I have in mind when I think of climate implementation.

03-19-2008 08:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yQ2xqCE2E8

It won't be long before we'll all be there with snow
Snow
I want to wash my hands, my face and hair with snow
Snow
I long to clear a path and lift a spade of snow
Snow
Oh, to see a great big man entirely made of snow

03-20-2008 12:08 AM
Ancient Member
Well there are lots of creatures not to kill in ADOM too - cats are the prime example, and you don't want to fight those angry blink dogs if you're lawful.

On the snow, I'm not sure are seasons worth implementing, I mean it wouldn't add THAT much to the game and could be explained easily also - the planet (if it's a planet-shaped world and not flat or anything) would revolve in the same angle as it travels around the sun. But adding static snow areas should be simple and nice, another terrain type. Coldness could be represented by damage similar to ToEF but much much milder, which could be countered with decent clothing (warm cloak FTW).

+ Reply