Typo collection
issueid=716 02-01-2012 09:25 PM
Administrator
Number of reported issues by jt: 159
Typo collection

From bug list:

The following typos were fixed:

Polemarms - It says 'Affinity for polemarms' in the initial selection screen for talents.

Sacrificing an animated tree - *MORTAL, I AM NOT BUILDING A BLOODY GARDEN UP HERE! NO MORE TREES! }*

Adequataly - It says 'and adequataly connected to the flow of mana' in the monster memory for a displacer beast.

To you - The game asks: 'What type of scroll to you wish to create?'

With missing - A weather report: 'The sky is filled blazing stars.'

Is fills - Another weather report: 'This moon-lit night is fills with oppressive heat.'

On/in - When entering the Old Barbarian's clearing, the message that appears is 'You immediately feel at peace on this beautiful clearing.'

Skeletal king (monster memory) - Both instances of "It's" should be "Its,". Also, the fifth sentence seems as if it should begin "Skeletal kings" instead of "Skeletal Kings,".

Greater white unicorn - Missing 'to' in its speech: 'Once I will be able all corruption that has been inflicted upon you.'

Absolutly - It says 'You feel absolutly mad!' after eating a greater claw bug corpse.

Two weapon - One message is: 'Weight of the two weapon'.

Water orb - The message when putting the orb is 'Suddenly the humidity dispenses and everything is normal once more.' - it should be 'disperses'.

Tamborine - It should be Tambourine(s).

'The the djinni is gone.' - There is a 'the' too much in the message displayed when a djinni disappears.

Homunculus (monster memory) - It says: 'They are able to make you fall asleep by touch you.' It should be '[...] asleep by touching [...]'.
Issue Details
Issue Number 716
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Unknown
Status In Progress
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 1.1.1
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-07-2012 07:08 PM
Ancient Member
Typos
"You never would eat members of your own race." (would never)
"This meat tastes completely alien... and its taste is so alien that it completely baffles your mind!" (double space after "completely")
"You silence the squaky board with some oil." (squeaky)
"Ye appear to be ssstrong and healthhy." (healthy)
"Didst ye ever eat a hag? Try it, it's very fulfilling!" (filling)
"Ancient dwarfs//often come in halves." (dwarves)
"Yrrigs knew more about this.//He manages to survive the fish." (managed)*
"three parts you will need," (Three)
"A drakelings scales may be crimson red" (drakeling's)
"Ok, now listen..." (Okay)
"...and appears to be very suprised!" (surprised)
"although you yet aren't sure what it might be." (you aren't yet sure)
All instances of "doppleganger" in the game should be "doppelganger".
How many charges would you like to invest into the -wand- (0 charges)?10_ (Missing space after the question mark)

Found scanning the executable
Code:
are horrified at the sight of your %s fate!.friend's....slaves..
I'd think "slaves" should be "slave's", but I have no idea of how to trigger this message in-game. Maybe someone who plays bards or necromancers can help here.

False typos
I was wrong with my "'I warp and wither with drouth' (drougth)" report. "Drouth" is an acceptable spelling, and the one used in Robert Howard's poem. Sorry about that!

j.t: I take it the ones I posted in my last four comments are already fixed?

By the way, not sure I've said this already, but thanks a bunch for what you're doing.

03-07-2012 07:22 PM
Ancient Member
"Didst ye ever eat a hag? Try it, it's very fulfilling!" (filling)

I think this one is an intentional pun. It's not saying that hags are good to eat, it's saying that eating hags will affect your destiny.

03-07-2012 10:46 PM
Administrator
@anon123: yes, they are fixed. Thank you for looking for those. I never expected so many typos were still in the game. :)

Are you sure about "doppleganger"? I think it either should be "doubleganger" or "Doppelgänger" like the german word. Or maybe this is Thomas' own creation because all internal values are called "doppleganger". :)

03-08-2012 12:09 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by j.t
@anon123: yes, they are fixed. Thank you for looking for those. I never expected so many typos were still in the game. :)
You're welcome. And I believe that the amount is rather small for a game that's as text-reliant and complex as ADOM is.

Are you sure about "doppleganger"? I think it either should be "doubleganger" or "Doppelgänger" like the german word. Or maybe this is Thomas' own creation because all internal values are called "doppleganger". :)
Wiktionary says the current word the game uses is a common misspelling, and that that mythical creature that copies the appearance of a person is spelled "doppelganger" in lowercase and without an umlaut, being a loanword from German.

03-08-2012 02:48 PM
Ancient Member
A discussion about the plural of dwarf: http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/langu...es/000293.html

03-08-2012 05:43 PM
Ancient Member
The game uses "dwarves" (27 occurrences) much more than "dwarfs" (2 occurrences), so I believe it should be consistent.

03-09-2012 06:46 PM
Ancient Member
- A lone hydra, Game asks whether you want to evade [...] them. (needs code changes)
The following encounters should get the same treatment: a cave bear, a huge grizzly bear, a wandering brown bear, a wild air elemental, a horrible Dorn Beast.

There are other encounters with single monsters, but those can be male or female and the PC doesn't know their gender so far, so "them" is correct as a singular 'they'.

Typos
"I no longer have any quests for a hero as ye art." (Thrundarr says "hero" even to females.)
"The greater white unicorn asked you to slay its evil counterpart hiding in the forest." (The greater white unicorn is a she.)
Greater Identify on weapons that give DV and/or PV: "When worn it modifies DV by..." (wielded; make a separate case for weapons and armor)
"Do you want to cover the pit with your uncursed plain blanket?? [y/N]" (Double question mark)
"You look at the hydra corpse, and all it's eyes are staring you." (its eyes are staring at you)
"They say that blessed potions of extra-healing might be a real boon." (extra healing)
"Tis many a dwarf that would risk his life for a heap o' gold." ('Tis)
"Some of our warriors were transformed into being of pure chaos when..." (beings)
"Aye, we closed to deeper levels of the dungeons..." (the)
"...and founded a huge underground empire many millenia ago." (millennia)
"Win the champions title in the arena" (champion's; there are two occurrences of this phrase)
"To reward ye for yer valiant deeds I'll tell ya more about ye stuff ye art carrying." ("yer" or "the")
"Your amulet starts to glow in a silvery light, but before it is able to activate it's magical power, is completely dissolved by Primal Chaos!" (its, it is)
"Swirling Chaos immediately envelopes you." (envelops - 'envelopes' are what you put letters into)
"You automatically have knowledge in the following spells: Calm Monsters, ..." (Monster)
"ADOM must be started from a directoy other than '%s'." (directory)
"The bonus you receive from the dodge skill now is doubled." (Dodge)
There are instances of "now is", "now will" and "now may" when gaining class powers that should be "is now", "will now" and "may now".

Monster memory
"gave rise to the seniment" (sentiment)
"flavors of pollen, authorities and american accents." (American)
"with its precision accuracy" (Either precision or accuracy.)
"semper non sequitor" (sequitur)
"his poetry is only confusing not deadly." (Add a comma after 'confusing')
"would have you to believe." (Remove 'to')
"Its one of those... those.. FREAKS!" (it's; Missing period in second ellipsis)
"(or is that BO?)" (Or)
"covers its elven skull, Its long arms" (its)
"as though theyve" (they've)

False typos
"The -foo- suddenly transforms into something else! Due to your surprise it slip from your hands." (I've reported 'slip' as a typo that should be 'slips', but you can dip multiple items into a PoEX. A separate case for "they slip" and "it slips" should be made.)

03-12-2012 08:00 PM
When a pet kills Kranach and you return to Tywat Pyre, when he gives you your quest failed message the following line is used

"But luck for you that it wasn't you..."

luck should be lucky for that sentence to work, but in context of the entire text:

"I've been told that Kranach was slaughtered by someone else."
"But luck for you that it wasn't you..."
"Try to be faster in future quests."

Shouldn't that 2nd line read something like: "But unfortunately, it wasn't you..." ?

03-15-2012 09:49 PM
Ancient Member
When a doppleganger is given clothes: "No thanks, I already have one." (some)
I've done a little research on this. That typo/agreement error is caused by giving any of the following items to any kind of doppleganger:

clothes, bracers of defense, bracers of protection, thieves picks, thick furs, heavy boots, light furs, light boots, gauntlets, gloves, leather boots, gnomish boots, iron boots, thick gauntlets, sandals, mithril boots, adamantium boots, eternium boots, bracers of resistance, boots of sneakiness, bracers of regeneration, gloves of dexterity, gauntlets of strength, bracers of toughness, gauntlets of peace, red dragon-hide gauntlets, black dragon-hide gauntlets, blue dragon-hide gauntlets, white dragon-hide gauntlets, red leather gauntlets, black leather gauntlets, blue leather gauntlets, white leather gauntlets, gauntlets of eternal peace "Shezestriakis", brass bracers, elemental gauntlets, frog legs, spiked boots, brass knuckles, gloves of smiting, boots of the divine messenger, boots of speed, seven league boots, bracers of speed, boots of great speed, alchemistic gloves, Shirt of the Saints (only a problem when unidentified: "clothes"), bracers of war, robes of resistance, iron gauntlets "Ironfist", gloves of carrying, fancy clothes, ugly clothes, archery gloves, boxing gloves, studded gloves

That is, any item which is "naturally" plural.

Furthermore, the message displayed when scrolls of item destruction are read assumes the affected item is always singular, which leads to further agreement errors:
"Your clothes [+0, +0] turns to dust!", "Your sandals [+0, +0] turns to dust!" (turn)
"Your uncursed iron gauntlets "Ironfist" (-1, +0) [+1, +3] {St+7} glows in a black light.", "Your uncursed robes of resistance (-4, -4) [+3, +12] {To+5} glows in a black light." (glow)

Kicking certain items around also leads to odd grammar:
"The cursed robes of resistance (-4, -4) [+3, +12] {To+5} slides to the north." (slide)
"The uncursed Shirt of the Saints [+8, +4] {Le+2} slide to the north." (slides; the current grammar is correct when the item is unidentified: "clothes")

When seeing those same items on the floor:
"A cursed robes of resistance (-4, -4) [+3, +12] {To+5} (60s) is lying here." (Cursed robes of resistance ... are lying here)
"Uncursed Shirt of the Saints [+8, +4] {Le+2} are lying here." (An uncursed Shirt of the Saints ... is lying here; the current grammar is correct when the item is unidentified: "clothes")

When listing all the generated artifacts in a final log file, the name of two of them leads to odd grammar:
Code:
The following 12 artifacts were generated during his adventure:
  the Perion's mithril plate mail
  the Brannalbin's Cloak of Defense
"the" should be removed for those.

03-17-2012 02:26 PM
Administrator
Corruptor: "...hunted looks on the faces of the others." (I feel this should be "haunted looks in the faces of others.")

This line was not changed because the "hunted looks" was intended.

03-19-2012 08:52 PM
Administrator
Quote Originally Posted by CheatMan
Shouldn't that 2nd line read something like: "But unfortunately, it wasn't you..." ?
Yes, I've changed the line.

03-19-2012 10:39 PM
Ancient Member
'a'pplying Alchemy while blind: "You need to see something to mix stuff." (remove 'something')
"The -foo- seems already to be pretty calm." (seems to be already pretty calm)
"You summon a huge globe of ethereal -foo- which envelopes everything around you!" (envelops; four instances of this for each element)
"Your cranium suddenly grows to enourmous proportions!" (enormous)
"Your dodge bonus is increased by +50%.", "You receive twice the usual dodge bonus." (Dodge)
"Movement now expands but 750 energy points." (expends)
"You are able to use the Healing and the First Aid skills on others." (remove 'the')
"You are resistant to innate special attack powers from undead (stat drain, paralyzation and sickness)." ('innate' feels redundant)
"The level is quite dark and the rocks seems to be closing in upon you." (seem)
"...its convoluted tunnels remind you of the brain tunnels of some sinister power lurking beneath the surface of the world and ready to strike at any intruders!" (add a comma after 'world')
"You feel suddenly very cool." (suddenly feel)
"You now are very deep in the realms of Chaos." (You are now)
"You already are stuck in that pit!" (are already)
"You still are too fat to enter that hole." (are still)
"You reach the bottom of the enourmous rift after a very long descent." (enormous)
"If you really like ADOM, enjoy the game and feel that is has enriched your life," (it)
"Who devised the devious deathmaze of the Assassin's Guild." (Assassins)
"Apul Omnim, the Male Human paladin" (Paladin; two occurrences of this)
"Bassuk Thimosp, Human wizard, who slaughtered...", "Bassuk Thimosp, the Human wizard" (Wizard)

If you win the game in a single seating, the final log will say "without even stopping to save himself" even for female PCs.
After a UCG ending, the final log will say "She managed to become the ultimate ChAoS gOd" instead of gOdDeSs for female PCs.
After an OCG ending, the final log will say "She managed to become a ChAoS gOd" instead of gOdDeSs for female PCs.
The death message "transformed into the highest ChAoS gOd" probably doesn't respect gender either, but I have no idea of how to trigger it, or what the difference with the ones above is.

03-20-2012 10:01 PM
Administrator
@anon123 all problems from your last two posts have been fixed, except:

- "Shirt of the Saints": this is special case because it's the only item that's "plural" when unidentified and "singular" when identified.
- removing "the" from some generated artifacts in a final log file

Both will probably need some kind of additional flags in the item description.

03-21-2012 05:31 PM
Administrator
Fixed: removing "the" from some generated artifacts in a final log file

03-22-2012 12:37 AM
Ancient Member
That's nice, thank you. :)

I haven't forgotten about the UK vs. US spellings I promised to look for, but since I'm accustomed to using both indistinctly those require extra attention when scanning the strings :)

03-30-2012 09:18 PM
Ancient Member
Typos
Greater Identify doesn't respect "naturally" plural items. ("Uncursed clothes - When worn it modifies DV by...")
Using Greater Identify on weapons that change DV or PV: "When worn it modifies DV by +2 and PV by +0." (wielded; make a separate case for armor and weapons)
The message "The uncursed -foo- seems to be welded to your body... you can't remove it, no matter how much you try!" from trapped armor doesn't respect naturally plural items. Happens with: trapped clothes, trapped thick furs, trapped light furs, trapped fancy clothes, trapped ugly clothes.
The message "The -foo- suddenly locks itself to your body." from auto-locking armor doesn't respect naturally plural items. These include: auto-locking clothes, auto-locking thick furs, auto-locking light furs, auto-locking fancy clothes, auto-locking ugly clothes.

04-07-2012 12:06 PM
Administrator
All fixed.

No typo (confirmed by the Creator): "Didst ye ever eat a hag? Try it, it's very fulfilling!"

06-04-2012 04:33 PM
Ancient Member
Hostile old barbarian: "Damn' traitor!" (Damn)
When the PC slays Andy and achieves a UCG ending, the game will say "You become the next ChAoS gOd!" even for females.
':s'witching places with a shopkeeper while deaf: "-foo-, the -race- shopkeeper, regards scowles in contempt." (scowls in contempt.)
"Select all items to be melted down.", "Select an item to uncurse it." (The period at the end should be removed, just like on all other "select an item" titles.)
"This act of pillaging makes you feel like a true hero!" (should be "heroine" for females)
In the @-screen: "Weight: 1 pounds" (pound; can happen with both weight corruptions)
Paying money you owe the traders guild: the prompt to write the amount is displayed in a separate line.

"You owe the merchants guild 162 gold pieces." (more)
How much do you want to pay? [ENTER = 2898] (more)
_
The underscore at the bottom is the prompt to type the amount. It also defaults to all your money, even if you have 2 billion and owe 10gp, but that's something else :)

06-05-2012 07:24 PM
Administrator
All of the above are fixed. The merchants guild prompt now defaults to the debts of the pc.

08-18-2012 04:26 AM
Ancient Member
The greater black unicorn asked you to slay its good counterpart. (his)
':s'witching places with a shopkeeper while deaf: "-foo-, the -race- shopkeeper, regards scowls in contempt." (regards you and scowls in contempt.)

Not fixed as of 1.2.0pr1
"-name-, the -race- -class-, transformed him/herself into an ash heap with a wand of fire!." (extra !)
"-name-, the -race- -class-, electrocuted him/herself with a wand of lightning!." (extra !)
"-name, the -race- -class-, froze him/herself with a cone of cold!." (extra !)
dwarven inn keeper (innkeeper)
"It yelps occasionaly in nervous anger" (occasionally)
"are known to use a breath-like attack as well an their powerful jaws" (as)
"I can live very well with that and this it will happen." (thus)
"You smash the bee hive! Many bees erupt and start to attack you like mad!." (extra period)
"you take in it's enormous size." (its)
"You never liked the -foo-, anyways." (anyway; "anyways" is nonstandard)
"They say that you should try to investigate the potential uses of beewax.", "The bee wax in your ears melts due to the great heat!" (beeswax) Similarly, the item "lump of bee wax" should be renamed to "lump of beeswax".
"They say that the radiance of chaos will corrupt you the faster the deeper you descend." (corrupt you faster the deeper)
"They say that converting an altar is difficult without losing ones faith.", "They say that blessed items improve ones eyesight." (one's)
"They say that those, who manage to empty a pool, will receive a wish." (Excessive commas)
The male invisible stalker's description uses two periods instead of three in ellipses.
"Drop all... O) instrument" (instruments)
"Bathed in the radiance of Law and Goodness she enters your home plane and challenges you to a battle. (...) In the last seconds of your life, facing the might of the hero of light..." (heroine, if it's a she)
Quickling bard: "Vanillaisthefinestoftheflavors" he sings "OneworldOneFuture(...)" (Missing period after "he sings".)
The greater white unicorn asked you to slay its evil counterpart hiding in the forest. (her)
"You automatically have knowledge in the following spells: Calm Monsters, ..." (Monster)

+ Reply