Allow mist elves to be crowned with some iron artifacts
issueid=3718 05-29-2015 01:11 AM
Number of reported issues by gr3ybird: 16
Allow mist elves to be crowned with some iron artifacts
It appears no iron artifacts are allowed right now

A while back, and RFE (that I really did look for but now cannot find), complained about mist elves getting ironfist as a precrowning gift. To fix that, it now appears that iron artifacts, including really good ones like justifier/executor, are not allowed. To be honest, I don't know exactly what's going on here or when this applies (just crowning or precrowning too), but you sometimes get the message 'the [x diety] chuckles' or something like that when you crown and get a junk artifact like scorched spear, and I'm assuming in those cases an iron artifact was going to be generated.

Look, the point of the original RFE was obviously to help ME out and make their gods behave rationally (why would a god that likes the pc give them an artifact they can't use?). Really it had the opposite of the intended effect because now you can't get a lot of very good artifacts and the diety actually seems like they are intentionally being a jerk to the pc by playing a joke on them, which doesn't even make sense thematically.

Taking ironfist out of the crowning pool makes sense, but please put justifier, executor, and the ring of immunity back in at the very least. ME pcs crowned with an iron weapon could also get a pair of gloves as part of the crowning (kind of like how true aim comes with a bow now).
Issue Details
Issue Number 3718
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM r58
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-29-2015 08:10 AM
Ancient Member
I'd go further and suggest that only paladins should get justifier and it should be removed from the artifact pools for all other classes, pre- and postcrowns.
Every time I get justifier and I'm not paladin (which really is most of the time) I feel like I've been made fun of by the deity instead of rewarded for my perseverance.

06-02-2015 10:50 PM
You can see the original RFE here: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1771

Believe the chuckling is when you get precrowned with an iron artifact.

10-12-2015 09:03 PM
Paladins not getting Justifier is the biggest letdown in the game.

ME's play knowing they can't get the best weapon (for Paladins) in the game.

I get that we don't like Mist Elves; they're not supposed to be a fun race to play, yeah, but this is the class' gimmick weapon. I feel as if Justifier's material should be adjusted for the sake of ME Paladin, full stop, ONLY due to the fact that it's so important to their play.

10-13-2015 11:46 AM
Ancient Member
Why even gods should care about problems of Mist Elves? Crown as usual, chuckle if iron and that's all.

10-13-2015 12:09 PM
Quote Originally Posted by sweetnothing
Why even gods should care about problems of Mist Elves? Crown as usual, chuckle if iron and that's all.
If I am the Champion of Order/Balance/Chaos, I think I've done enough to warrant a little accommodation to my. Condition. ):

10-13-2015 01:46 PM
Ancient Member
All iron weapons should be ok, right? You can just wear gloves?

10-14-2015 02:37 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Harwin
All iron weapons should be ok, right? You can just wear gloves?
Yes, that's exactly the point of this RFE. I can't figure out of people are voting against it because they feel like ME's should be nerfed, because iron weapons are obviously still desirable to a ME.

10-14-2015 08:07 AM
Ancient Member
MEs should be buffed if anything.
I don't play this silly race because for me, the drawbacks far outweigh the benefits.
Hence my yes vote, anything to improve the situation.

10-14-2015 12:05 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
MEs should be buffed if anything.
I don't play this silly race because for me, the drawbacks far outweigh the benefits.
Hence my yes vote, anything to improve the situation.
The only things we could ask for are small HP buffs (I'm thinking 5-10% of base HP increase that works in a linear fashion), and more starting tools (like how Hurthlings get a free ring, Trolls get a free heavy club, ect). I don't see any major changes in their favor happening. Ever. Mist Elves are the challenge/joke class of ADOM, their advantages aren't comparable to anything, because the next best wizard can wear the elemental gauntlets, and there's a long line of better barbarians, beastfighters, and semi-casters.

Play ME CK, on that tangent. If you've ever wanted to see the true potential of a ME that's stopped caring, that's the ticket. Free mithril armor set. It was my first gate closer (hehe), it's by far among the most relaxed games I've had as them.

10-14-2015 01:17 PM
Ancient Member
Mist Elves are significantly more powerful than anything else in the late game (say, level 20+).

Iron armor as crowning is pretty silly, but I see nothing wrong with weapons. Strap gloves on and you're good to go.

Among armor only Shezetriakis and Ironfist are problematic (all other items are non-iron). Seems like the original RFE should have been about gauntlets and gauntlets only.

10-14-2015 02:29 PM
Ancient Member
Mist armour is nothing to be scoffed at for a melee oriented build.

10-14-2015 02:47 PM
Ancient Member
HP: 11 (11)
"The barbarian shoots arrow at you. You are wounded! You die..."
"Suddenly hidden runes on the door..."
"You are engulfed by the stream of acid!"

Enough reasons for me to never touch MEs again.
Melee only mist armor is shit, should be extended to ALL physical attacks, that would at least make sense to me given the racial drawbacks.
This comes at the cost of non-existent HP and iron allergy, give me a break.

All of my late game chars are very powerful.
The argument about MEs being more powerful in the late game is moot because 99% of my deaths take place in the early game.
MEs only increase that percentage by dying to some silly rolls on traps and missile attacks.
My gray elven chars are tough compared to them.

The only thing I ever got out of playing mist elves was annoyance and disappointment.

10-15-2015 01:57 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
All of my late game chars are very powerful.
The argument about MEs being more powerful in the late game is moot because 99% of my deaths take place in the early game.
This is actually a really good point.

And, look, I realize there are some advantages to being an ME, but nobody can honestly say that it is *easy*. In fact, I think in a lot of ways they are a good race because of that, they definitely have both significant advantages and significant disadvantages. You might even say they are balanced, unlike most of the game.

EDIT: Basically, I think the mist armor/HP tradeoff is a good idea, tb just got the numbers wrong. If ME had +50% HP and -50% mist armor, that would be a lot more playable.

10-15-2015 05:28 AM
Ancient Member
I like mist elves in their current incarnation. Yes, they're not the easiest race to play and some combinations don't work very well, but they're really set apart from other races (with the possible exception of trolls) in terms of style of play and strategy. They often start with really fantastic gear which helps make up for the low HP (and gives some trap protection...), though getting those intrinsic resistances up early is quite important (I'm often tempted to skip Healing entirely for mist elves regardless of class so I can use the black torc for guaranteed -Fire and -Elec).

+ Reply