Adjustable chances of boss monsters and statues
issueid=4934 09-13-2017 05:54 AM
Number of reported issues by Jarinex: 10
Adjustable chances of boss monsters and statues

I really like the idea of boss monsters from the resurrection campaign, as it adds a neat little mix up to the usual ADOM crawling. In my last play through, however, I only encountered one boss monster through the ENTIRE game (and that was when I was backtracking through a dungeon). I feel this is a feature that has not been fully utilized, and I think it would be cool to be able to adjust the chances of them spawning. The options could be similar to how treasure changes and monster difficulty are utilized when making a new character.

For boss monsters, perhaps the options could be: None, Few, Standard, Many.
I would think the "Many" option should give a good chance of seeing them more often.

In a similar vein, we could also do the same thing for the statue dungeon feature. That could also have a "None, Few, Standard and Many" option.

I know how some people hate having two RFE ideas in one RFE, but I felt the idea is similar enough for both of these that it was alright to make one.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4934
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.3
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-13-2017 06:47 AM
I don't want to digress, but if these get looked at my feeling has always been that after I "sense an imminent and blood-chilling threat," then see the very threatening description that usually includes significant equipment and/or treasure, the actual encounter is always anticlimactic. Easy kill and no loot. I'd like to see the mob live up to its buildup :)

09-13-2017 06:29 PM
Yes I definitly agree. I believe TB gave them more health, but I was still able to kill them rather quickly. Perhaps that's another RFE :p

09-24-2017 06:01 PM
I do hate to bump my own thread, but since we are playing around with the idea of customization, I thought this should be considered.

There was a good discussion on the discord recently about boss monsters and making them more threatening and maybe actual "boss" monsters (like orb guardians), but perhaps that's another RFE. I just really want to see more of these monsters, and I'm sure the donators to the campaign would love to as well :)

09-24-2017 06:15 PM
The Creator
For now I have doubled the probability for boss monsters. Let's see how this works out.

If you have suggestions & ideas for strengthening / improving the tension with these encounters, please submit a separate RFE for that.

09-24-2017 06:29 PM
The squeaky wheel gets the oil!

Thanks TB :)

+ Reply