Make gauntlets of peace useful
issueid=3272 08-04-2014 10:00 AM
Number of reported issues by mike3: 6
Make gauntlets of peace useful
Give this otherwise-negative item some value by adding alignment boost

Hi.

I was thinking about the gauntlets of peace and had the following idea. While wearing a pair of these certainly makes the game harder, I was wondering if it could be possible to give them some "non-obvious" positive uses. In particular, they make it harder from the player's point of view, but from the point of view of the in-game universe I'd imagine they could be considered an attempt to create "goodness" in the world by making people peaceful. So I was wondering: maybe, if you wear them for a protracted period of time, they could very slightly train alignment -- like an amulet of order, only without the burning damage against chaotics (the penalties to combat balance it out), and with a significantly smaller effect. The idea being that you are being kept peaceful and therefore away from "badness" (i.e. violence). Of course, it's easier to change alignment early in the game, but then survival is harder, so the combat penalties are more punishing, while later in the game when the penalties are not as much of a problem, alignment change is harder, so I don't think this would be game-breakingly overpowered, or even overpowered at all, for that matter.

What do you think? Also, offensive magic use could negate the effect -- you're "breaking the contract of peace", or something to that effect. Perhaps also if you attack (or, at least, hit) anything with the gauntlets on, it might negate the effect for a time.

Also, the gauntlets of eternal peace could have a slightly stronger effect, though perhaps the penalties to combat should be somewhat increased to compensate if necessary (or maybe not).
Issue Details
Issue Number 3272
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM r51
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-06-2014 07:43 PM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
The artifact gauntlets of peace give 15 DV, 3 PV, all four elemental resistances, and are equivalent to thick gauntlets for the poison hands corruption. This is at the cost of 15 to-hit in melee (coverable as Ln said) and with missiles (rather big if you haven't trained them). That's generally a good tradeoff.
They are worse than getting nothing at all for crowning, because if you got nothing, at least you wouldn't have to grind another 3 levels before you could get another artifact for postcrowning. Same with black tome.

I bet the only reason they stay around like they are is because re-balancing artifacts is a relatively low priority with everything else that is being done.

08-06-2014 08:16 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird
They are worse than getting nothing at all for crowning, because if you got nothing, at least you wouldn't have to grind another 3 levels before you could get another artifact for postcrowning.
This problem would be solved by removing precrowning and postcrowning from the game. I think they should be removed. I'm dead serious.

08-06-2014 08:28 PM
Even by removing pre- and post- crowning, 3 classes still have the gauntlets as crowning gifts - something you expect your diety to have hand-picked for you. I don't think mister merchant is going to jump in joy at an auto-cursing artifact that makes melee attacks harder.

08-07-2014 01:02 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
This problem would be solved by removing precrowning and postcrowning from the game. I think they should be removed. I'm dead serious.
I agree totally. And make gods stop taking repeated sacrifices of the same thing, like: after you have sac'ed a certain number of an item or enemy, the god is no longer interested in it. Just like herbs work now.

Make crowning harder but always worthwhile.

08-07-2014 12:17 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
I am a) horrified and b) intrigued by this. It would certainly make my games less predictable.

+ Reply