Add a way to turn monsters hostile without attacking them
issueid=5489 10-23-2017 12:29 AM
Number of reported issues by sillihai: 43
Add a way to turn monsters hostile without attacking them

It's often an issue when live saccing monsters, that you find a lot of non-hostile monsters who don't follow you to the altar. Smacking them in coward mode can help, but a buff PC often kills them in one hit. I suggest adding a new keybind such as ctrl+B or alt+B for 'brandish weapon' or alt+I for 'intimidate', which you can use to aggravate monsters. If used on a permanently peaceful foo (like dwarven townsfolk), there should be a Y/N confirmation, just to be safe.

Not hugely important, but it would make live saccing *slightly* less tedious.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5489
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-23-2017 03:57 AM
You can pickpocket monsters. Throw a non-weapon on coward (I usually use a si). There are a few options if you are creative enough. I wouldn't be against a keybind for this but I don't think it's necessary and Biskup has been trying to cut down on the obscure keybindings lately.

10-23-2017 08:21 AM
What pjsb1 said. Also stun ray. Ventriloquism. Throw a gold piece. There are plenty of possibilities already.

10-23-2017 12:58 PM
I've been throwing things like hats, and it's tedious since you have to pick them up and re-equip as a missile every time. But I didn't actually think of throwing gold pieces. That does solve the problem for me, so I don't think a new keybind is necessary.

10-23-2017 01:18 PM
Quote Originally Posted by sillihai
I've been throwing things like hats, and it's tedious since you have to pick them up and re-equip as a missile every time. But I didn't actually think of throwing gold pieces. That does solve the problem for me, so I don't think a new keybind is necessary.
Yeah, I mean a command to shout random insults at monsters and so anger sentient ones would be a fun and utterly ridiculous addition to the game, but it's not strictly necessary. :)

10-23-2017 09:23 PM
I kind of like the idea of being able to shout insults at monsters ... haha, we could even build in a random list of medieval insults! (or not.) :)

"The large orc looks mildly irritated by your quip about its mother."

10-23-2017 09:31 PM
Quote Originally Posted by tkoyah
"The large orc looks mildly irritated by your quip about its mother."
Lol. Hey, if we compile a list of these kinds of lines, we can make another feature request out of it. :)

10-23-2017 10:24 PM
Insult swordfighting should totally be a duelist class power, at least. If the insult lands it could decrease enemy to hit by a certain amount, for example. :)

10-23-2017 10:32 PM
Could be interesting, but needs a downside. Because luring a monster away from its friends clearly benefits the player (for example, just standing in a vault entrance and screaming insults until every monster appears one by one).

10-24-2017 01:38 AM
It could have a chance of making the monster fight to death in a blind rage, which can be really dangerous for the PC.

10-24-2017 12:46 PM
There are already quite a lot of ways to aggravate a monster.
However an idea to use speech to aggravate intelligent ones sounds attractive. As of now Charisma doesn't have much of use. If one could aggravate / calm / scare or even tame intelligent monsters with his speech ot could make CH really usefil and desired. At least a bit more than now.

10-24-2017 09:24 PM
I agree with ixi that there are quite a few ways to aggravate a monster already. ..I just find myself intrigued with the idea of being able to shout insults at them as well, and the ways it would fail to work on some non-intelligent species, the way charisma could play a part, and just the general flavour-text this could add:
"The doppelganger seems mildly amused by your insults, possibly realising the insults apply equally to you."
"The ochre jelly seems to enjoy the vibrations from your shouting."
"It doesn't look like the troll entirely understands the insult thrown its way, but seems angered nonetheless."
:)

+ Reply