Hunger still comes too fast for new players
issueid=5318 10-13-2017 11:56 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Hunger still comes too fast for new players

Maybe we should consider once more extending the internal numerical food ranges and food values for items a little bit.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5318
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.5
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

10-14-2017 11:21 AM
Ancient Member
But new players will start with easy mode which has no hunger, no?

10-15-2017 08:35 AM
The Creator
It has hunger but hunger is not deadly. It was just surprising to see new players move to "Very hungry!" while still exploring the village and trying to come to terms with the UI. I hadn't expected that.

10-15-2017 10:07 AM
How about giving hints that it's ok to eat corpses? When I started first time long time ago I didn't eat corpses. Also I saw couple videos and streams where new player had no idea most corpses were safe to eat. If you only play way that you buy food, you ran out fast and those large rations are heavy to carry too.

Maybe in tutorial dungeons design it that way that player is starving and needs to eat giant rat corpse to survive? Or something similar.

Did you check how many new players knew they can eat corpses they find?

10-15-2017 08:56 PM
Increase starting satiation to the point just below "satiated" status.

10-15-2017 09:32 PM
It's actually good if they get hungry in the village first, so a hint could lead them to the shop... as opposed to getting hungry in a dungeon, not finding food in time and dying horribly.

10-23-2017 03:35 PM
I agree that players should be given a hint about eating corpses instead. Depending on the format and length, you might also allude to certain corpses having interesting side effects.

10-23-2017 09:05 PM
Something like "you feel a pang of hunger .. that uncursed orc scorcher corpse looks tasty." (If there is one in your inventory, or if no corpse is in your inventory, something like this is triggered when you walk over the corpse.) ..just a thought.

Probably a message that only needs to appear once in any game? The message could stop appearing after x corpses have been eaten? (Though if it only appears once in a game, I'm not sure if there needs to be a counter to kill the message entirely.)

10-24-2017 12:20 PM
After playing several roguelikes where you have to butcher and cook before you can actually eat I got confused for a moment after opening ADOM. It indeed might be a bit weird for some newcomers too. A quick hint to eat corpses sounds like a good idea.

+ Reply