Tone down the frequency of vomiting darkness
issueid=5437 10-18-2017 02:45 PM
Number of reported issues by Harkila: 154
Tone down the frequency of vomiting darkness

Went through one level, exploring it fully without delays. 5 vomits of darkness during that time. That results in having a lot (virtually all) levels having black spots. Which is pretty annoying in the sense that you can't basically even face a rat pack from a wererat without it occurring at least once during that time, or run through levels you visit several times because walking is interrupted always in the darkness.

I understand if the target of the corruption is to be annoying and potentially dangerous, but please tone down the chances of it happening. Currently it's way too common. Make the dark spot larger then if that is needed for rebalancing.

This is especially tricky for chaos knights who start with that corruption. Basically every single place in the world is going to have a ton of dark spots.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5437
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 6
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.6
Implemented Version ADOM 3.0.2
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-23-2017 03:44 PM
Having dark spots, while certainly aesthetically annoying isn't that much of a problem, especially if you have access to some (semi)permanent light source, like torches, or optimally an amulet of light/everburning torch.

10-23-2017 08:22 PM
Problem is not aesthetics, problem is gameplay. Every single summoner you end up fighting in darkness. Every dungeon level you have to return to, have dark spots interrupting normal walking. Every time you rest up for HP or search for traps you end up in darkness.

And yes, I'm exaggerating in the sense that it would happen precisely every single time, but the chance for it happening is massively big. Way too big.

10-23-2017 08:52 PM
Yes, but Taederias is making the point that that darkness can easily be dealt with by finding a light source... torches and the necessary components are common enough, amulets of light aren't too hard to find, etc. Hell if you learn the light spell you can just cast light after every darkness vomit =P I personally don't find the corruption to be that much of an issue (except while doomed... that's asking for trouble!)

10-23-2017 09:19 PM
Exactly. As always, you can choose to obtain a source of corruption removal or find a way to deal with the corruption, which isn't all that difficult: constant light sources are fairly common. Other corruptions like mana battery (if you're not a spellcaster) or poison hands can be way more annoying, and to deal with the latter you need thick gauntlets, which are arguably harder to find than torches/amulets of light -- before chaos knights show up and start dropping them by the dozens, that is.

11-13-2017 06:58 PM
I personally agree with Harkila here in that while the other corruptions listed above make gameplay far more *challenging*, they don't so badly interrupt its *flow*. Darkness makes for a very stop-start-stop approach to exploration.
Perhaps it could be nerfed but very mildly so?

11-14-2017 11:28 AM
The Creator
I have changed it so that it happens less often on lower PC levels. By the time it is back to the rate from the time of your posting you at least should have had a decent chance to find something to counter it.

+ Reply