Illogical messages
issueid=743 02-15-2012 07:13 PM
Administrator
Number of reported issues by jt: 159
Illogical messages

From typo collection (http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=716):

[1] "An used tome (100s) is lying here." (A used tome)
[2] "You drop the 1 gold piece.", "A 1 gold piece is lying here." (You drop 1 gold piece, 1 gold piece is lying here)
[3] Under certain circumstances, the "(after saving his/her world)" or "(after winning)" after the character's death reason shows up twice. I've seen this in some Hall of Fame logs and once in a more closer character death :)
[4] In the log for UCG endings, it says "Bathed in the radiance of Law and Goodness He/She enters your home plane and challenges you to a battle." The he/she is capitalized. This may be intentional?
[4a] "Female swordsmen" should be swordswomen. Maybe there shouldn't be female swordsmen at all (same goes for other monsters), as it was done with stone giant lords.
[5] Undead can be frozen or burnt "to death" by frozen/flaming weapons.
[6] Monsters that are "transformed into ashes" by Burning Hands still leave corpses. Water creatures (e.g. elementals) are still "transformed into ashes".
[7] Hitting a monster vulnerable against cold with a frozen weapon, and having the cold damage be stopped by its PV: "The -foo- is frozen by icy shards emerging from your weapon. The -foo- is badly injured by the icy blast. The attack doesn't penetrate the defenses of the -foo-!"
[8] "You are blinded by a sudden flash! You pray to -god name-. You are healed by a black light surrounding you." How can a blind PC see the light surrounding them?
[9] A PC creating darkness with a torch or amulet of light on is still told "suddenly everything is dark".
[10] Golems can "grunt at you in a friendly manner" but they're unable to talk.
[11] Reading a blessed scroll of magic mapping yields the message "you suddenly know everything about this dungeon level" even when you're not inside a dungeon.

[12] Undead and constructs cannot be paralyzed/stunned/confused, but the corresponding messages will often appear ("The zombie is stunned!", "The zombie is paralyzed!"). Throwing the phial of Caladriel at them yields no message at all except "out of ammunition".
[13] The last level of the Assassins' Guild message says some whispers emanate from the shadows even for deaf PCs.
[14] Changelog: "Immunities no longer can be "enhanced by items". You either are immune or you are not." Text could be changed to "also gained by items" so that the player knows if he's naturally immune and is wearing something that grants the same immunity.
[15] Teleportitis, Teleport Control, and See Invisible shouldn't be "enhanced" through items. You either teleport, control TP or see invisible, or you don't. They should get the same treatment I explained above.
[16] Angering the neutral god via reading tracts of order/chaos is incorrectly displayed as angering the lawful god.
[17] "During your apprenticeship under an elderly wizard, you come across a powerful magical amulet of unknown power" - Is it powerful or unknown?
[18] Fairy dragon description says "Its arsenal of breath weapons is varied", but they only breath water.
[19] If the pile of items I've just dropped is the only one in this level, reading a scroll of item detection or zapping the homonym wand says "You sense the presence of an item", even though there are hundreds on that square.

[20] Cat spirits rising can be seen in dark rooms while blind.
[21] When 'a'pplying Gardening while stuck in webs, it says the ground is not suitable. It should give a generic "not while stuck in webs" message instead. If done on an herb square, it also says the ground is not suitable. It should say there's an herb bush there already.
[22] "It is possible to teleport Glod away from his smithy, although the details (wand of teleportation vs the Teleportation spell) have yet to be worked out. He wanders in Dwarftown but still asks for the nominal 2500 gold piece fee (seemingly telepathically, probably a bug)" -- ADOM Guidebook
[23] Shopkeeper says "thanks for enhancing the value of my wares" if you pick up cursed food with poison hands. Price doesn't change at all.
[24] Lighting an everburning torch while blind: "The uncursed everburning torch [+1, +0] lights itself.", "The uncursed everburning torch [+1, +0] is already giving light." A blind PC has no way of knowing that.
[25] Sting and Needle's unIDed appearance should be "black rune-covered dagger (10s)" instead of "dagger (10s)", which makes an unspoiled player very likely to miss those artifacts.
[26] Eating some humanoid corpses can trigger the Law skill ("You feel as if transgressing some law.") even though it's not a chaotic act.
[27] If you check Kelly's ':w'ound status, it says he is not injured.
[28] "Kobold Shaman bolts can harm a lightning immune PC (...) If the attack is indeed lightning based, it should not harm the PC. Someone suggested the "lightning" may not be lightning, but the power of the souls of dead kobolds, the monster memory would seem to indicate this. If this is the case, and the bolt is not lightning damage, the attack should be re-worded to avoid confusion." -- RFE 2470
[29] 'U'sing drakish scurgari results in the message "Use the -foo- with an appropriate missile weapon." There is no such weapon in the game nor is it necessary.
[30] Moving to a tile adjacent to a mimic while invisible: "Suddenly a mimic attacks you! The mimic seems to search for someone or something." - First phrase should probably be something like "The item suddenly turns into a mimic!"
[31] "The gorgon breathes petrification gas at you! Something on the ground is burned to ashes within moments!" - Why?
[32] Being killed by a ghost will result in the "was aged to death by a -ghost-" death message even if I was only killed in melee, not aged.
[33] Throwing a potion of water at a wild cat says "The wild cat seems to panic!", but it actually does not. If it's just flavor text (cats usually don't like water :)), the wording should be altered.
[34] Casting invisibility on a monster with the see invisible intrinsic: "Suddenly the -foo- is gone!" and worse, if cast again: "Suddenly the invisible -foo- is gone!"
[35] Shopkeepers can tell an invisible PC they haven't detected yet to keep their fingers off rations, not to drink unpaid potions, and not to push them around in their shop, among others.
[36] *removed*
[37] Talking to a female ratling rebel while wearing furs: ""Ye animal sssllayer! Ssssuffer!" The female ratling rebel pulls a strange potion from his clothes and sprays a liquid into your face."
[38] When you give Bart the golden gladius, the game says "Over the next hours the old gladiator recounts a number of interesting tricks to you." but only ~1 minute of game time passes. The same is true of training with Yergius.
[39] Weather messages can be seen while blind. The command to check the ':W'eather is also perfectly usable while blind.
[40] Re-reading a manual of bridge building will always say it has some information you haven't yet learned, but according sorear's wiki it doesn't train or increase the skill's dice in any way.
[41] Uncontrolled teleportitis kicking in and PC landing into a tile with items: "You pick up the heap of 20 blessed rocks. Suddenly you stand elsewhere." Messages should be reversed.
[42] You can see bolts "fizzling and disappearing" even if the (possibly hidden) door they hit is out of LOS.
Issue Details
Issue Number 743
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Other (please specify)
Status In Progress
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 2
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-06-2013 03:08 PM
Ancient Member
(129) When you're blasted by the new fire/lightning/etc. breath attacks of fairy dragons, the death message still says "was drowned by the breath of a fairy dragon".
(130) When you use Ctrl+D with an empty backpack, it says your inventory is already empty, but this is not so with 'd' or ';'.
(131) When dipping rings in a blessed potion of exchange, "the heap of 19 -rings- transforms into something else", but it actually transforms into a bunch of different rings.

06-22-2013 12:38 AM
Ancient Member
(132) Player character does not see invisible. Invisible stalker dies from poison. "The invisible stalker drops dead!" This might also be the case with bleeding to death. This might also be the case for any invisible monster.

06-25-2013 10:37 AM
Ancient Member
(133) Interaction with a djinni while deaf is the same as normal, despite the fact he uses speech for all phrases (booms, declares, etc.)

06-25-2013 12:55 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
(133) Interaction with a djinni while deaf is the same as normal, despite the fact he uses speech for all phrases (booms, declares, etc.)
" The djinni appears to say something. The djinni stares at you for a moment. The djinni appears to be saying something while pointing at its ears. Suddenly you can hear again. The djinni disappears in a puff of smoke. The Banshee wails! You hear a ripping sound!... You Die!"

06-25-2013 02:40 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
" The djinni appears to say something. The djinni stares at you for a moment. The djinni appears to be saying something while pointing at its ears. Suddenly you can hear again. The djinni disappears in a puff of smoke. The Banshee wails! You hear a ripping sound!... You Die!"
I assume these are not real messages? Or was it fixed in p14?
I've checked in 1.1.1 with potion of deafness and it isn't removed by djinni.

06-25-2013 03:12 PM
Ancient Member
No, it still happens on p14:

Although 'U'sing a RoDS while deaf and blind suggests this behavior might be intentional.

06-25-2013 03:15 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
I assume these are not real messages? Or was it fixed in p14?
I've checked in 1.1.1 with potion of deafness and it isn't removed by djinni.
Your assumption is correct, I was attempting a joke.

06-26-2013 04:29 PM
Ancient Member
Another on deafness -
(134) Deaf characters will hear Guth'alak yelling to stop cutting down a tree in Terinyo.

06-26-2013 10:32 PM
Ancient Member
(135) "WOOOSH! The fire cone seems to hit something! [+634xp] The ogre magus is killed!"

(136) Not sure whether this should be known. The PC is in Darkness.
"Something hits you. Something is splattered with your acidic blood!"

08-12-2013 10:44 PM
Ancient Member
(137) Throwing a potion of sickness at an invisible stalker:

"You hear an angry grunt! Something looks somewhat green. The uncursed potion of sickness shatters!"

I'm assuming the green is because of being sick and not the colour of the liquid.

09-08-2013 03:26 AM
(138) In p5, but I don't see it mentioned here, another 'wrong order' situation:

"Suddenly a stream of acid from the ceiling pours down upon the cute dog! You are direly saddened about the death of the cute dog. The cute dog is killed by the stream of acid!"

Although I suppose with acid, being sad for impending death is an understandable thing. ;) duplicate of (76)

10-19-2013 05:20 PM
(139) Burning a web with Burning Hands / Baptism of Fire yields the message:

"You burn some webs. You project flames from your fingers."

[The messages seem to be in the wrong order]

10-20-2013 10:16 PM
Ancient Member
(140) A case similar to the ones above:

"The cave lion punches through your armor and hits you. The cave lion is splattered with your acidic blood! [+72xp] The cave lion is dissolved!"

The xp gain should probably be displayed after the last message.

10-20-2013 11:01 PM
Ancient Member
(141) I can't remember the exact text, but a similar thing happens with that Monk class power where a vital organ is ruptured after a monster is tranformed into a mangled heap.

10-22-2013 05:42 PM
Ancient Member
(I'm leaving slots 137 to 141 for the potion of sickness and wrong order messages mentioned above)

(142) All monsters are "wounded" and "killed" by wands of destruction, even undead and constructs which are usually "damaged" and "destroyed".
(143) Using Create Item while blind: "Something suddenly seems to be lying in front of you."
(144) "You sense taint in your vicinity" and "You sense a soul in agony" are used equally and interchangeably, even if the monster that triggered the corruption trap has no soul (e.g. undead and golems).
(145) Using Ventriloquism on an undiscovered mimic: "The mimic does not seem to be impressed."
(146) Drinking potions of youth can result in messages like "You feel younger. You suddenly feel old!". This makes sense in context, but sounds a little awkward.
(147) Casting invisibility on a monster with the see invisible intrinsic: "Suddenly the -foo- is gone!". If cast again: "Suddenly the invisible -foo- is gone!"
(148) Using the undead turning class power of priests and paladins makes the PC display only one holy symbol, but using the priest undead destruction power makes them display all of them if the chosen stack (blessed symbols take precedence) has more than one.
(149) "The kobold steps into the teleportation trap. The kobold suddenly disappears! Suddenly a kobold appears!" It should probably be "the kobold reappears", since it's the same one I saw stepping on the trap.

11-24-2013 06:58 PM
Ancient Member
(150) While wielding the scythe of corruption "Moon Sickle" with a level 20 ChAoS kNiGhT that has poison dripping from her hands and attacking a grizzly bear: "You hit the grizzly bear You regenerate. and critically wound it. The grizzly bear is poisoned!" or a female ratling warrior "You hit the female ratling warrior You regenerate. and slay her." or "You hit the jackal with full force You feel corrupted.", etc.

(151) When you teleport and end up on the same spot as you teleported from, the game sometimes tells you that you suddenly stand somewhere else. Which is of course not true. :)

11-30-2013 01:56 PM
Ancient Member
(152) PC has unholy aura and is wielding "Foeslammer", so I don't know which one triggered the shopkeeper: It's too much too type, I'm attaching a screenshot. The price tag should not be displayed as the Shopkeeper is several tiles away, also there is a period after "Stop chasing away my customers!" Which should not be there.

JT: Fixed the period and the "several figures" being printed twice (see (161)). I'm not sure where the problem with the item price is... the item is flagged as being "unpaid", it has nothing to do with the distance of the shopkeeper.

11-30-2013 06:01 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
The price tag should not be displayed as the Shopkeeper is several tiles away, also there is a period after "Stop chasing away my customers!" Which should not be there.
And several figures appear out of nowhere twice?

11-30-2013 06:27 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
And several figures appear out of nowhere twice?
Yeah, I noticed that. Thought maybe that he summoned twice?

12-07-2013 10:10 AM
Ancient Member
(153) As a Necromancer with a zombie slave in Win8(NotEye)pre20 using the Ctrl-o command tells me that I don't see any of my companions while standing right next to the zombie. I still get to command the slave after that line of text though. The PC's Perception is 11, she is not blind, she nor the zombie is in darkness, the zombie is not invisible.

Edit - When blind it tells you that you don't see any of your companions and then that you don't see any of your slaves. So, now I understand, maybe omit the companion message when slaves are involved?

+ Reply