Wishable talents
issueid=2296 08-23-2013 01:06 PM
Number of reported issues by Narrychen: 4
Wishable talents
Feature that makes character gain a talent if using a wish for it

I suggest "talent" to be an acceptable wish. If a character makes such a wish, and any are available to him/her, a normal "choose a talent" window would appear. If none are available, he/she would either waste the wish or get the "that was a foolish wish, try again" dialog. I understand that multiple talents for one wish would be too much, so using the plural would still only gain one talent.

Why this would improve the game
- would be a catch-up system for those characters that get only 1 talent in birth
- would give more options for wishing
- would enable high-level characters to finish a talent chain they would be otherwise be 1 (or 2) talent(s) short of

Why this would NOT ruin the game
With wish engines now being history, this shouldn't be a problem. The price for gaining a talent this way is that you could've wished for something else: SoCR, AoLS, RDSM, a certain skill etc.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2296
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 17
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 12
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-23-2013 01:21 PM
I second this. Altough you should only be able to wish talents that are naturally available to you (i.e you cant choose treasure hunter if you don't have the required pre-talents)

08-23-2013 01:34 PM
Ancient Member
I like it. It could be argued that talents are something gained through experience and observation, but you can already ask for "better marks" and stat increases. With wishes getting rarer in 1.2.0, this would be pretty balanced. And having more potentially wish-worthy things is nice.

08-23-2013 01:39 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Saracen
I second this. Altough you should only be able to wish talents that are naturally available to you (i.e you cant choose treasure hunter if you don't have the required pre-talents)
I agree completely. This is exactly what I meant... after wishing for "talent" a similar screen would open as would after every 3rd level, and the character would only be able to choose from naturally available talents.

08-23-2013 01:40 PM
Ancient Member
A new challenge could emerge. How many level 1 talents are there again?

08-23-2013 01:59 PM
Ancient Member
I'm not opposed, I just can't imagine why you'd ever use a wish on this. I normally run out of useful talents by level 18 or so, and I doubt that there's a talent you'd want to wish for that you couldn't get a better effect by wishing for an appropriate item.

08-23-2013 02:04 PM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
I'm not opposed, I just can't imagine why you'd ever use a wish on this. I normally run out of useful talents by level 18 or so, and I doubt that there's a talent you'd want to wish for that you couldn't get a better effect by wishing for an appropriate item.
More power to the Archmages!

08-23-2013 02:11 PM
Ancient Member
Who knows what some junior unspoiled players might type in when asked the ultimate question. What happens when you type in talent now?

08-24-2013 12:23 AM
Does anyone want to go so far as to add powerful talents that are only available through wishing? I haven't thought this out much, I'm just curious.

08-24-2013 02:07 AM
Ancient Member
I'd prefer the elite talents for high level PCs suggested in this RFE. I don't like the idea of wishable only stuff. Very unfair to unspoiled players.

08-24-2013 02:28 AM
Ancient Member
Yeah, JS has basically elucidated the problem with this. Even worse is that talents are most useful at low levels - like say, the +2 PV talent - but at the same time, you could be wishing for RDSM (which is +11 PV) whose benefit greatly outweighs that of any and all talents.

10-20-2013 04:42 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
Who knows what some junior unspoiled players might type in when asked the ultimate question. What happens when you type in talent now?
Wish goes wasted. :-( And yes, that's in P17 too. I already tested. :-)

10-21-2013 07:26 AM
Ancient Member
Wow, that's very noble of you.

+ Reply