Make reload tag configurable for each item
issueid=3404 11-08-2014 03:59 AM
Number of reported issues by Dogbreath: 74
Make reload tag configurable for each item

This would be really, really easy to implement and significantly reduce frustration and enhance gameplay.

So, when you run out of ammunition, you're given the opportunity to reload. The game is somewhat smart about this - it will ask about arrows if you have a bow equipped, if you have no missile weapon, it will ask about thrown weapons, etc.

There is also clearly an reload tag associated with each object, since some objects will automatically be suggested (like throwing knives, rocks) while others will not. However, if you're throwing things (like, say, daggers or spears), often times they're not marked to be reloaded, so the character has to enter the backpack mode to reload. Every. Stinking. Time. It gets frustrating pretty quickly.

Also, sometimes you have a stack of missiles you *don't* want to reload with, because you're saving them for something special. Like, say, a stack of 15 arrows of slaying or something.

There's an easy, fast, and intuitive way to solve this though, and it will work in a way that will make everyone happy while not changing any default game settings at all: simply allow the player to edit this tag in-game.

What I recommend is from the equipment menu, to the right of "text filter" add a "[r] toggle reload" button. Pressing "r" would have you select an item (abcdefghij) as well as revealing a (normally hidden) tag to the left of the item saying [ON] or [OFF]. Pressing [abcdefghij] would change whether or not the item is selected to reload and toggle ON/OFF, esc and enter would finish and exit the [r] submenu. This would be applicable to both individual items and stacks of items.

Voila! You're now happily throwing knives/boots/suits of armor at people frustration free!
Issue Details
Issue Number 3404
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM r53
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 12
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

11-08-2014 08:55 AM
Yes please! I like playing archers and this one would be a great tweak.

01-10-2016 01:53 AM
Decided to give this one my yearly bump. Bump!

I know it's a small RFE, but I honestly think this is one of the reasons why most people don't pursue missile categories like "thrown daggers", "thrown axes and hammers", and "thrown spears", because of the hassle involved with trying to reload them. This could do a lot to improve gameplay for those of us who are... less than conventional archers. :)

01-10-2016 02:17 AM
Ancient Member
Ooh! Good idea! I actually think this would be much easier to implement than some of the other missle rfe's.

01-10-2016 03:16 AM
You know, thinking about this RFE has made me wonder how ADOM actually handles "objects" as it is written in C. The only programming language I'm really familiar with is Java, in which this would be a couple minutes worth of coding: build and implement accessor and mutator methods for the "autoReload" boolean variable in the data field of "item" objects (probably in an "Item" abstract class), then modify the "Inventory" interface to call those methods. But I don't really know how C would handle it.

07-22-2017 08:08 PM
Just wanted to bump this again since UI improvements are going into effect. This would make the game soooo much less tedious for spear/dagger/whatever throwers.

07-23-2017 04:27 AM
Ancient Member
You should not have had to bump it this many times. Quite a needed change.

I thought I read somewhere that ADOM was ported to C++ now, but perhaps I am mistaken.

07-24-2017 06:44 AM
The Creator
ADOM is not being ported to C++. That would be an impossible task. Re-implementing would be easier (but not easy by any measure).

08-10-2017 08:33 PM
The Creator
I like the change. But sadly it is not a small RFE but rather a pretty complicated change. Because ADOM internally does not have that reload flag. Rather the behaviour is tons of inelegant special code. I yet have to find a suitable way to implement this.

+ Reply