R67 Point-based Character Creation
issueid=4381 08-13-2016 11:58 AM
Number of reported issues by Halon: 1
R67 Point-based Character Creation
The actual stats having created a new character don't reflect the point-based system selection

I'm hesitant to post in case I've misunderstood how the new point-based character creation works so forgive me if I have...

Having added and taken away point for various character types (tried HE Elf, Dwarf Barbarian, Orc Choas Knight, Mist Elf Wizard) the attributes each character actual had when starting the game had no apparent connection to the way I had chosen. I've created a few characters without changing the base stats for a Dwarven Barbarian as an example:
St:18 Le:9 Wi:13 Dx:10 To:16 Ch:8 Ap:8 Ma:6 Pe:12. The results for 3 actual characters are as follows:

St:19 Le:13 Wi:14 Dx:10 To:21 Ch:4 Ap:8 Ma:6 Pe:12
St:23 Le:10 Wi:13 Dx:11 To:22 Ch:6 Ap:9 Ma:6 Pe:14
St:18 Le:10 Wi:15 Dx:11 To:18 Ch:4 Ap:8 Ma:3 Pe:14

Playing on Windows 10. What other information would be helpful?
Issue Details
Issue Number 4381
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 10 (Steam)
Status Fixed
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM r67 (v2.2.1)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone "Resurrect ADOM" Indiegogo Fulfillment
Users able to reproduce bug 3
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-19-2016 12:56 PM
Ancient Member
We should let the players choose their attributes precisely. Randomly generated background should not change the attributes. IMHO it would be the best to produce the background story, but base it on the value of attributes chosen by the player, so we get precise control and dependence between background story and attributes. I have no idea how hard would it be to program, but we don't have to be perfectionists, some remote similarity would be sufficient.

08-22-2016 02:44 PM
Hi. I like the fact that the points distribution is just an alternative to answering questions for 'nudging' the character in a specific direction, instead of being a true wysiwyg character points editor. That said, if that is the case the presentation is all wrong - you should not distribute points if those are not what you end up with. Why not change the absolute point values to optional areas of training; toughness, strength and so on. In other words instead of editing absolute values you'd pick attributes to focus on. Then there would be no discrepancy between the numbers and you could still affect the outcome.
Ps. I've yet to try this feature but based on this discussion this is something I'd like to see instead of absolute values that aren't so.
Thanks.

08-22-2016 08:19 PM
I'm still sticking to the questions rather than point-based generation. However why not add more variation in attributes like the player were answering the questions?

On the stories... It's evident that background (as well as other stat modifiers e.g. age, gender) has to be generated before the points dostribution. An ability to re-generate or change background since it has a big impact would fit here as well. No rework on the stories or switching them off should be needed.

08-28-2016 07:42 PM
The Creator
Currently I'm leaning towards:
1. Generate a background story but use it to count the extra amount of points you get to distribute and use the results from the background story to modify the variance of attributes.
2. Extend the permitted range of point allocations by 2-3.
3. Do all this in the course of the next major content release (so after R68, maybe as late as R70).

08-28-2016 10:32 PM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
1. Generate a background story but use it to count the extra amount of points you get to distribute and use the results from the background story to modify the variance of attributes.
So would that mean that the background is generated first and then based on which stories you get, you would get a certain amount of extra points? For example, would I get less points from the "seriously ill" background and more points from having an "enjoyed competition" background?

And when you say variance of attributes, does that mean it will effect the starting points of the attribute (without adding the class and starting sign stats)? Using the same example, would that mean my strength stat from "seriously ill" would give me lower starting strength, where as "enjoyed competition" would give me higher starting strength?

Hopefully what I asked makes sense :p

09-19-2016 10:01 AM
Ancient Member
Just put a disclaimer on point selection screen that the stats will be further adjusted.

09-19-2016 08:15 PM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
2. Extend the permitted range of point allocations by 2-3.
3. Do all this in the course of the next major content release (so after R68, maybe as late as R70).
Point 1. undermines the purpose of points-based character gen for me.

I want to build a character to the same criteria in every points-based game. That's why I'm choosing points-based instead of rolling or questions; I don't want to have a chance of 'better' or 'worse' characters every points-based game. The big appeal of points-based to me - and one of the things I was most excited about in the resurrection - was to let me get all calculating about character builds and kill the incentive to reroll ever again.

07-15-2017 06:55 PM
The Creator
Ok, I have changed point-based attribte generation quite a bit and I hope that you will be as happy with the results as I am. The changes are:
1. You get more attribute points to distribute based on the statistical averages for background stories (see http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.c...ation-and.html).
2. Background stories no longer influence your attributes, they are just flavour if you go with point-based attribute generation.
3. The minimum and maximum scores have been adjusted to provide much more room for changes.
4. http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=4854 (age effects)
5. http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=4855 (show number of talents)

07-17-2017 03:04 AM
Awesome - I'm really looking forward to making some characters! :)

+ Reply