Quest to kill Jharod the Healer
issueid=1388 12-07-2012 04:59 AM
Number of reported issues by Dogbreath: 74
Quest to kill Jharod the Healer
Make the quest from Hotzenplotz to kill Jharod available without talking to village elder.

Playing a Chaos Knight, I noticed it's impossible to generate either the VD or the DD due to neither the village elder nor the druid wanting to talk to you. Which is fine (it makes sense), but you can't generate the quest to kill Jharod without talking to Rynt. My suggested improvement would be to make the quest available from Hotzenplotz *without* getting the quest from Rynt, but keep it mutually exclusive from the Druid's quest. I.e, if you get the quest from Hotzenplotz, then the druid will *never* give you the black druid quest (even if you convert to another alignment), and if you get the druid quest first, Hotzenplotz will never give you the quest to kill the healer.

You could make it so, say, Jharod is always generated hostile towards chaotically aligned Chaos Knights, so there's no means of rescuing the Carpenter.

This is a balance issue, but also because I dislike having to change my alignment to N to do an obviously chaotic quest.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1388
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 10
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 28
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-07-2013 12:23 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
If you want the Healing skill with a CK you can damn well do some effort in getting it.
How else would you have us interpret this, Stingray?

12-07-2013 12:55 AM
Ancient Member
I made that statement after I said CKs converting is ridiculous, you should interpret it as meaning that I don't expect them to scum to convert. Rather an alternative which I referred to later by stating that redemption should maybe be possible.

Read all my posts in chronological posted order and it will be clear.

12-07-2013 01:15 AM
Ok, so why should I have to be "redeemed" or whatever to do an obviously chaotic quest?

12-07-2013 01:24 AM
Ancient Member
Which chaotic quest? You are a redeemed CK, meaning you aren't a chaos follower anymore, you obviously save the carpenter. Unless you are just mucking about with game mechanics, then you can go kill everyone and just be a lunatic.

Edit - Here, let me share my very first ADOM game. Huh? Press '?' Read the entire manual. Go to Terinyo, speak to elder. Go to bandit town, speak to everyone, kill some nasty folk. Find the Healer. Ah, cool the game gives me a choice whether I want to be bad or good. Terinyo is the first place along a short road from start. (This was actually my second game, but that is irrelevant to the point I'm making)

12-07-2013 02:23 AM
The quest to kill the Healer. You know, the title of the thread you're posting in?

12-07-2013 04:46 AM
I all for saying that chaos knights should be able to get some of the early quests in a different way, just with alternate rewards (even the converted ones). They just don't have enough early game content, it is basically required to dive to the HMV or go stright to the CoC at the start.

WRT others getting the quest to kill Jharod from Hotzenplotz, why not?

12-07-2013 06:10 AM
Ancient Member
Epic discussion, I love it.

I wonder how events would have unfolded if there wasn't any mention of CKs in the original text of RFE.

12-08-2013 09:28 AM
Ancient Member
Yes, i spent have an hour reading all this - really great, but becomes repetive now. A few good points have been made though (sorry for not citing authors properly)

Agree: The RFE should not bother with CK or not. It's just game logics.

Thumbs up: Die when converting, if no AOLS! Extremely atmospheric!

Interesting: Think about the change-alignment issues on a larger scale (ultras, must that be so? But that get's really complicated ...) and change through dropping coins on a table in single units instead of a large junk, etc.

01-26-2014 11:52 AM
The Creator
I have implemented the original RFE. I also read a couple of the comments but I have to admit that the discussion IMHO get a bit too hot. So now you can get the quest from Hotzenplotz if you are a chaos knight and fulfill it.

01-26-2014 05:20 PM
Awesome! :)

Can you get the quest if you're not a chaos knight too? I.e, what if I'm just a chaotic bastard in general who wants nothing to do with Rynt but still likes the idea of slaughtering healers? Also, if you get the quest from Hotzenplotz without talking to Rynt, is Yriggz still generated? (he shouldn't be IMO but just curious)

06-09-2014 08:30 PM
Ancient Member
Recently I've learned that this change affects chaos knights and chaos knights only. I understand that reading all the comments is quite time-consuming, but I'd want to summarize some ideas.

Basically there were two groups of people:
1) Those who are in favor of implementing a possibility to talk to Hotzenplotz to receive the quest on the basis of simply logic.
2) Those who are against giving the chaos knights an opportunity to get Healing on the basis of balance issues.

Seems like the solution stated in the OP (btw, Dogbreath participated in the discussion as a member of the first group and commented that his RFE may have been worded differently without losing the base request) doesn't benefit both groups. No compromise for group 2 and even more absurd game logic for group 1. Can't we at least extend it to all characters? Should we make another RFE?

06-09-2014 08:57 PM
Ancient Member
Oh I didn't read the resolution properly. I agree with _Ln_ that this should apply to all chaotic characters. It is only logical :)

06-09-2014 09:02 PM
I agree with _Ln_ as well, and that was indeed the intention of the RFE. I simply wasn't clear enough with the wording to explicitly state "I think this should be available for all chaotic characters." (though it's what I meant, and how I assumed it would be implemented)

06-09-2014 10:03 PM
Ancient Member
I also agree with _Ln_ et al.

06-11-2014 01:23 AM
time for a new rfe.

06-11-2014 04:24 AM

+ Reply