"walk to stairs" should use the stairs if already there
issueid=5727 11-17-2017 03:29 AM
Number of reported issues by wes: 6
"walk to stairs" should use the stairs if already there
A nice to have option for simpler stairway navigation

It would be awesome if when invoking the "walk to stairway" shortcut while already standing on a stairway, the game would just go ahead and use the stairs. Instead the game doesn't take any action. It seems like the game could easily understand whether the player is already on a stairway tile of the correct type and just fall back to the regular "use stairs" command if so.

In fact, I don't see why the regular `<` keypress couldn't also perform the `w` + `<` behavior when not standing on appropriate stairway.

Sidenote about why this tiny tweak is important to me: I'm using a Steam controller for playing to reduce wrist strain, so I'm trying to figure out a way to map the two behaviors to one button.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5727
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.9
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-17-2017 11:00 PM
I don't mind making 'w<' equivalent to '<' when standing on the stairs, but I need to strongly oppose the idea of a simple '<' or '>' issuing a "walk to stairs" command. Way too easy to mispress a key and then suddenly you find yourself on other end of the level... that's both inconvenient and occasionally dangerous. It is all well and good that these automated long-term actions require 2 key presses, so you aren't likely to activate them by mistake.

11-18-2017 12:21 AM
I wouldn't mind having this as an option to turn on and off, I'll vote yes under that condition.

11-18-2017 03:37 PM
Not at all a bad idea--I agree with pjsb1 that it should be configurable, but I suspect that I would quickly get used to using < and > for walking to stairs once I'm done exploring a level.

11-18-2017 06:09 PM
Because too many times people hit < when > is appropriate. That would send them off in another direction. w means walk. Different from up/down/enter.

12-11-2017 05:23 AM
I agree that w+> should duplicate > when actually on the staircase.

+ Reply