New behavior for uncursed rings of djinni summoning
issueid=2696 01-28-2014 04:13 AM
Number of reported issues by TDau: 21
New behavior for uncursed rings of djinni summoning

An idea I had while dwelling on the Arabian Nights. In the story of Aladdin, a djinni appears every time he rubs the ring or the lamp. My suggestion is:
- the blessed and cursed RoDS keep their current behavior
- if the RoDS is uncursed, when you use it the first time, the djinni appears and the RoDS changes into a new type of ring, the ring of the djinni, which works as a container for your new companion. You use the ring, the djinni appears; use it again, he goes back into the ring. If the ring is destroyed, the djinni becomes hostile. If the djinni dies, the ring becomes a brass ring.
For added flavor, make the djinni spout something when he appears, for example a shortened version of the sentence in the tale (which is "What are thy commands? I am ready to obey thee as thy slave, and the slave of all those that have that ring on their finger; both I and the other slaves of the ring.")

Besides the allusion to the tale, there is another point to this RFE. At the moment, when I find a RoDS, I don't think a second about blessing it. It's true that there are many similar instances in the game, but those are cases of "blessed gives more of the same thing" (think scrolls and potions), while for the RoDS the difference is qualitative, so I feel that the choice between an uncursed and a blessed RoDS should become a real choice, worthy of consideration. If the new behavior of the ring is not enough for this, djinnis could be buffed (I don't know how strong they are now).
Issue Details
Issue Number 2696
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-28-2014 09:24 AM
Sounds like overcomplicating and not adding any real game flavour. Thus voting against.

01-28-2014 10:07 AM
Ancient Member
Lots of coding for little gain. Also, wish will always be better than extra companion. You can randomly find scrolls of familiar summoning and read them in DH to get truly powerful 'friends'.

01-28-2014 04:00 PM
Ancient Member
I remember my first ring I used to summon the companion, unaware that the blessed version would have the desired effect. So, from that I believe other unspoiled players will also use it for summoning a djinni in a few games, until they accidentily find a blessed one or know about djinnis. Otherwise I'm ok with the concept. They are pretty rare and rare items are supposed to be awesome.

+ Reply