Make affixes more mysterious/dangerous
issueid=2690 01-27-2014 08:44 PM
Number of reported issues by BenMathiesen: 99
Make affixes more mysterious/dangerous

I've always thought it odd that PCs know all affixes on a weapon as soon as they handle it. Now that we have the ability to take notes, maybe it's time to change some of the behaviors?

• bad affixes (e.g. corrupting, of weakness, of surrendering, mild) almost never come into play, because the chance that the weapon is also cursed is small. These should either be invisible until the weapon is IDed with a scroll, or the weapon should be auto-cursing. I'd like to see scenarios where an unaware PC uses a sword of weakness for a while, through ignorance or a curse.
  • good affixes that don't change the damage dice should be invisible until IDed; but some could have special message or effect on a hit when their power comes into play. Elemental brands and thundering already have something like this--I'm just taking about extending this behavior a bit.
  • as a corrolary, to reduce spam, maybe once such weapons are IDed the special message could be suppressed.
  • maybe we can have some new affixes to make things interesting?
  • and/or maybe some affixes can be modified so they give both an advantage and a disadvantage? e.g. "of the void" makes creatures flee but also makes you more vulnerable to undead special attacks... but of course you need greater ID to find out this level of detail.

None of this has much effect in the mid to late game, but I think it has the potential to make the early game much more lively. It's exciting to run into an unexpected difficulty and overcome it.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2690
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 7
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-27-2014 09:00 PM
Ancient Member
This is a nice idea. Some possibilities:

-Pre/suffix are only revealed by greater ID. Or at least regular ID, but greater might be better.
-Pre/suffix could be revealed by application of a skill (metallurgy? appraising?)

01-27-2014 09:03 PM
Ancient Member
I myself have found the fact that these affixes are revealed upon equipping somewhat disappointing from my first few games already. Although I obviously had no clue what exactly each one meant back then, I could more or less guess whether they were good or bad from the word used. Although I must admit I used to think 'surrendering' would make my opponents panic more frequently. Maybe another solution is to make some of the words even more difficult to guess what they do.

I'm thus all for the suggestion that merely equipping them should not ID the affix.

I'll even extend that suggestion even a bit further by saying that I don't even think the to-hit and damage should be IDed until the equipment is used. So for armour, you will only learn the attributes once you get hit enough times to be certain of what they are, similar to monster memory learning information about a certain monster.
For a weapon the to-hit and damage also has to be learned through use. This of course mean that a character with a low learning score might never know what his equipment actually is, until IDed with a scroll. The player will still have a rough idea though. :)

Maybe I'm pushing this somewhat. :P

01-27-2014 09:45 PM
Ancient Member
Not revealing stats of weapons / armor until they're used a bit is very reminiscent of Crawl and I particularly hated that feature.

I'm fine with hiding affixes though...it would be cool to make them reveal over time if you've ID'd it and have Appraising...making a fairly useless skill somewhat worthwhile.

01-27-2014 10:57 PM
Ancient Member
I like the general idea of not hiding affixes, but I think it would only be good if affixes are made way more frequent. With their current frequency, I think most of the time the effect would be that we would never find affixed weapons, because we would silently discard them without even trying the weapon. There's no way in hell I'm going to actually try 50 spears (not try as in wield and unwield, but actually taking the time to kill stuff with them) to see if one of them is of lightning, vampiric or something like that.

An intermediate solution is what some games like Brogue or Pixel Dungeon do: they tell you that the weapon has some special property (called runes in Brogue and enchantments in Pixel Dungeon IIRC), but they don't tell you what it is until you have ID'd it. So we could see things like "an enchanted mace (+1, 1d6)", hinting the player that they might want to keep that mace because it's somewhat special, and then actually IDing it would reveal whether it's of fire, brutal or whatever.

Optional twist: you need Pe (or Metallurgy/Appraising could help) to tell enchanted from non-enchanted weapons.

01-27-2014 11:00 PM
Ancient Member
If this change goes in I do not think it should require greater ID. Those are too rare to spend on everything I find hoping it's a decent affix. (Or make greater ID more common)
I also second Al-Khwarizmi's suggestion that you be able to tell that it *has* an affix.
Appraising or some other skill could slowly identify those affixes, and could using it (every swing of a weapon has a 0.5% chance to ID it, or something). I'll know which ones to try because I'll know they've got an affix.

01-27-2014 11:10 PM
Ancient Member
I'm sorry, you can't tell the player that an item has an affix. IMO. Everyone will then mostly only pick up the affixed stuff and leave everything else on the floor and they will know which body armour are fairly safe to equip even without knowing its B/U/C. Etc. etc. etc.

01-27-2014 11:21 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
I'm sorry, you can't tell the player that an item has an affix. IMO. Everyone will then mostly only pick up the affixed stuff and leave everything else on the floor and they will know which body armour are fairly safe to equip even without knowing its B/U/C. Etc. etc. etc.
What if you revealed the presence of the affix only after equip? The way you currently do, but instead of saying what the affix is, you find out that it HAS an affix. But you only find that after you equip it.

So you see: (spear: 50s). Then you equip it and it either just looks like a spear, or it says "enchanted spear". After using it for a while/ID'ing it you find out what it ACTUALLY is.

01-28-2014 08:00 AM
Ancient Member
I like this the way it is right now. Prefixes and suffixes are sufficiently rare that I don't see an issue here.
They are mostly physical properties of items, so similarly to how you discover that a weapon has 1d8+3 damage dice simply by equipping it, you also discover that it has 5d8+3 damage dice the same way - by equipping.
Hence, you immediately recognize it as *foo* of devastation. I don't see a problem here.
Same is true for the vast majority of other affixes, especially those that affect damage.
What you are requesting is to make equip-IDing stuff more dangerous and less effective and I will never agree with that.
Hence I voted against this.

01-28-2014 02:43 PM
I would still like to see the bad affixes come into play sometimes-maybe Thomas can make them auto-cursing at least?

01-28-2014 04:20 PM
Ancient Member
> What if you revealed the presence of the affix only after equip? The way you currently do, but instead of saying what the affix is, you find out that it HAS an affix. But you only find that after you equip it.
>
>So you see: (spear: 50s). Then you equip it and it either just looks like a spear, or it says "enchanted spear". After using it for a while/ID'ing it you find out what it ACTUALLY is.

Sounds okay, although I like the suggestions where Appraising rather plays a role in letting you know whether an item is affixed.

01-28-2014 05:31 PM
Yes, that would give the Appraising skill a much-needed boost.

+ Reply