Make attribute increasing potions not raise attribute potentials.
issueid=2688 01-27-2014 03:48 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Stingray1: 97
Make attribute increasing potions not raise attribute potentials.

Currently blessed attribute raising potions, like potion of toughness, strength, mana, etc. will raise the attribute by 2 and the potential even 2 above that. Giving a resultant 4 potential raise.
It is big. With the attribute training herbs being so easily obtainable.

I suggest that they only raise the attribute and not the potential above the new value.

I have almost never used uncursed potions of attribute, I'm assuming they raise the attribute by 1 and the potential 1 above the new value. Thus this suggestion being implement will also apply to their effect of also raising the potential, if my assumption is correct.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2688
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 11
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-27-2014 04:06 PM
Ancient Member
This isn't a problem - for one thing, it doesn't up the potential beyond +2 over your current stat (i.e. if you are at the maximum and drink two in a row, your potential is still only +2 over current, not +4, for a gain of +6 if you haven't herb trained). For another, they are not very common - how many of these potions are you finding a game? At least wrt toughness (most important by far), I'm lucky to find two.

A lot of these RFEs are designed in a roundabout way to fix herbs (for the fifteenth time). We should really have a forum discussion about how to actually fix HERBS and quit trying to change the entire game around to accommodate them.

01-27-2014 04:11 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
This isn't a problem - for one thing, it only counts if the potential is at it's maximum (i.e. if you drink two in a row, your potential is still only +2 over current, not +4). For another, they are not very common - how many of these potions are you finding a game? At least wrt toughness (most important by far), I'm lucky to find two.
This is incorrect. If you are at 14/16 and drink a potion of stat, you will go to 16/18. Wishing for potions of toughness is effectively worth 8 points of To if you're below the herb cap--quite worthwhile, IMHO.

I personally do not feel this change is necessary. Attribute potions are rare--much rarer than PoGA considering how many of the latter are now guaranteed. Having their effects be fairly significant is not much of a problem.

01-27-2014 04:16 PM
Ancient Member
The potential is easily reached through be it strength or herb training, so most clever players will probably get the +4 to potential.

It was decided that herbs was not the issue entirely, but potentials should rather be more difficult to raise. I did and still do agree that HERBS is part of the problem and I had only one 2-part suggestion regarding it, that will fix it.

01-27-2014 04:22 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
This is incorrect. If you are at 14/16 and drink a potion of stat, you will go to 16/18. Wishing for potions of toughness is effectively worth 8 points of To if you're below the herb cap--quite worthwhile, IMHO.
I might not have been clear, but that is what I meant by the potential staying at +2 over current. Potions of stat do not actually add +2 to your potential, they simply set it to +2 over the new current iff it is less. (this seems blindingly obvious by your example, but one could be led to believe differently if drinking one at 14/14 - new stat is 16/18, but drinking another one only takes you to 18/20)

edit: oh, I see, I actually totally misspoke, let me edit that.

01-27-2014 04:56 PM
Ancient Member
Yes, that is exactly how it works: if you're at 14/14, drinking a potion of stat will raise you to 16/18. The next one will raise you to 18/20.

01-27-2014 05:23 PM
However, it means if you drink one and then herb train, the next one gets you to 20/22, which is I think what Stingray is talking about

01-27-2014 06:50 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by StViers
However, it means if you drink one and then herb train, the next one gets you to 20/22, which is I think what Stingray is talking about
This is what I do all the time, it yields the best results. It works pretty much the same as potion of potential *foo* only that it it grants additional actual attribute points.
Potions like these are even more valuable than potential raising ones and equally rare.
I don't see why the mechanism of how they work should be changed, it doesn't have a game breaking/scumming impact on the game, not by a long shot.

01-27-2014 10:00 PM
I'm not judging it, I was just saying why he was calling 2 potions +8 when other people were assuming only +6 ;)

01-27-2014 10:44 PM
Ancient Member
These potions are supposed to be awesome. That's why they're so rare in the first place.

+ Reply