[RFE] Make haggling skill passive
issueid=4102 11-26-2015 09:11 AM
Number of reported issues by emilus: 48
[RFE] Make haggling skill passive

I suggest few 'fairly simple' changes to haggling skill so it could be somewhat usefull (IMHO now its completly useless):

- make it passive so when we want to buy or sell something from shop we can haggle automatically

I. If we want to pay for specific item/s:

1. Haggling skill check should be triggered automatically (once per item)

a) if success: (message generated: you've succesfully bargained 'itemname')

- will reduce price temporary (but only once per restock) of potentially buyed item
using formula below:

100 points of skill in haggling should discount price of one specific item for about 30%

less points should discount prices proportionally so:

75 points of haggling - 22%,
50 points of haggling - 15% ... [etc]

b) If failed: (no message generated)

- price of potentially buyed item wont change and haggling check cannot be triggered for this item again until next
shop restock / stocktaking

I. If we want to sell specific item/s:

1. Haggling skill check should be triggered automatically (once per item)

a) If success (message generated: you've succesfully bargained 'itemname')

- having 100 points of haggling skill will temporary raise value (but only once per restock) of potentially selled item by 30% (using formula/rules above)

b) If failed

-- value of item wont change at all and if we want to haggle with this specific item again we must wait untill next shop restock.

Important things to note:

Restocking/stocktaking should reset values of potentially buyed items to their default values.
If we leave shop value of potentially selled items (if haggled sucessfully) should be reseted to their default values.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4102
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 15
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-26-2015 01:21 PM
Ancient Member
I agree on passive, but would rather just have it as a flat rate effect on all transactions (both buying and selling). Haggling would be trained whenever buying or selling an item.

11-26-2015 06:22 PM
Ancient Member
Currently, haggling is supposed to be a risk vs. reward deal, but price increases are so much bigger and more likely compared to potential discounts, it's not worth investing skill points on. For me, it's either fix that or redesign it completely. In the latter case, this looks like a good proposal.

11-26-2015 07:02 PM
Ancient Member
Weird, I sometimes maximize and use haggling. It is a bugger to advance though, unfortunately.

11-27-2015 10:35 PM
I don't mind the specifics but I think haggling could use some adjustments. I'd love to see something that makes it a valuable/desired skill for mist elfs, orcs, etc.

11-28-2015 07:29 PM
I like that change because it would make haggling useful. Although I think a lot simpler change would work - if shopkeepers were never (or nearly never) raising prices I would use and improve it.

11-29-2015 03:28 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Currently, haggling is supposed to be a risk vs. reward deal, but price increases are so much bigger and more likely compared to potential discounts, it's not worth investing skill points on.
This, exactly.
Why not set Haggling to simply reduce shop prices by a small but guaranteed amount, either a percentage of skill level or a random roll based on it per shop visit?

11-29-2015 10:34 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Kelibath
This, exactly.
Why not set Haggling to simply reduce shop prices by a small but guaranteed amount, either a percentage of skill level or a random roll based on it per shop visit?
Beacouse your simple solution is not the best it that case...

... random roll is not fair beacouse why invest in haggling skill when you will get always random discount ?
And if it will be based on per shop visit it will cause that players will abuse that feature and reenter shop sh**load of times till they get best discount...

My proposal is probably most detailed, logical and fair solution posted here beacouse:

You want to pay for item or sell item - you have chance to get automatically discount based on skill level and the more haggling points you have the more likely your success (like pickpocketing) and the bigger discount you will get (30% raise/discount for 100 haggling pts. is fair IMHO).
Every finalized transaction with discounted price (when buying) or raised price (when selling ) should train haggling somewhat.
Inability to haggle with same item more than 1 time per restock and resetting haggled prices on restock will prevent players from skill abusing and adjusting prices indefinetly...

P.S. I wonder why somone downvoted.

+ Reply