Guth'alak quest beginning-text not shown (probably a wider issue)
issueid=4104 11-26-2015 01:40 PM
Number of reported issues by tkoyah: 10
Guth'alak quest beginning-text not shown (probably a wider issue)

Just noticed this playing release 63 (the Steam version): when you talk to Guth'alak, the text "You talk to Guth'alak, the Druid." and the first two lines of his quest scroll off the message text-area before you get to read them. No problem for me -- I know how to find the message buffer -- but I think newbies are going to miss out on stuff this way. And, presumably in any other situation where more than six lines of dialogue and/or events happen at once this will be a problem.

Of course, we don't want to fill the screen with text. But maybe all lines of text should appear, but all lines above the sixth line start to fade out immediately? (Maybe just one at a time, so the player has time to read it. eg: in this case, all the text from "You talk to Guth'alak..." appears at once, then the uppermost line "You talk to Guth'alak, the Druid" begins to fade in a second or two, then the next line "Recently we have been plagued by the attacks.." fades next, then "He was once a brother of my order..." The other lines all fit within the normal six line buffer, so can stay, and disappear when more text is displayed, as they normally would.

Alternatively, maybe the lines should appear one at a time (maybe one every half-second to full-second), smoothly scrolling up, rather than jumping, so they're easy to follow. They can fade away similarly to what is described above. I'm thinking something like "Sword of Fargoal Legends" message buffer on iOS, but faster. (skip to 2 minutes in to see their message-buffer in action.)

Anyway, the exact implementation can be left up to the authors. Just thought I'd add a suggestion or two rather than just saying "this doesn't work". :)
Issue Details
Issue Number 4104
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All with NotEye
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM r63 (v2.0.2)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 3
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-27-2015 01:11 AM
This happens with Khelavaster's long speech as well.

11-27-2015 09:08 AM
Thinking about this a bit more .. if one of the suggested options is chosen, where the upper-most lines of text fade-out one at a time, I think it should be more aggressive about removing excessive message clutter.

I'll attach a second screen-shot of my character approaching the Terinyo shop, several turns after having talked to the little girl. I'm really done with the little girl conversation, and am more interested in what I can see at the bottom-left of the map. Yet, with six full lines of text remaining on screen, and possibly remaining there for a long time if no other messages happen, the text kind of gets in the way. Maybe the upper lines of text should fade out one at a time until there is only one or two lines of text remaining? (Or even zero?)

11-29-2015 03:40 AM
This is a basic issue with all lengthy speeches and actions, and I think it's a significant and urgent problem as it spoils a lot of the character and assistance of said paragraphs.

11-30-2015 01:37 PM
Ancient Member
Does it happen if you've done the "ctrl-k" change to not have "more" auto-press during monster turn?

+ Reply