Mouse interactions with the PC itself do not work well
issueid=4784 06-20-2017 08:22 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Mouse interactions with the PC itself do not work well

We have done some experiments with new players and it seems that mouse interactions (left-clicking, right-clicking) at the PC position do not seem work well. We learned:
- Click+hold on the character to bring up the menu doesn't work at all. 99% of the time it was brought up by accident and went straight to one of the middle selections ("display character info")
- Same for right-clicking on yourself, that should be used for interacting with directly what's under you. We need to find a different option for stuff like "pray, eat, zap, search" etc. and drop "explore unknown areas" at least.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4784
Issue Type Task
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All with NotEye
Status Completed
Priority 2
Target Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Completed Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes to perform 1
Votes not to perform 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

06-20-2017 08:45 PM
The Creator
While looking at your comments in the forum: Could it be a good idea to have certain interaction items (especially for things you can do at the current position) appear with a somewhat shiny animation in the area to the right (like appearing with a quick shimmer) to draw newbies to important actions like "pick up stuff", "enter location/use stairs" and who knows what else)?

06-24-2017 03:02 AM
I would agree that actions that you can only do in your current position should have some sort of marking to indicate that. Like a different color for actions you can only perform where you are (because there's an item to pickup for instance) or like you said a shimmer on that option, although I think a different color would be easier to see. Also should be a colorblind friendly marking no matter what it is.

07-07-2017 02:32 PM
The Creator
Left-click now always is concerned with direct (immediate, what you would expect) actions for the target spot, right click always offers a variety of possible courses of action.

There are still many places where commands still should be smarter but I will create specific tickets for these single issues.

+ Reply