Special crowning gifts for all races
issueid=1500 12-19-2012 07:26 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grey: 58
Special crowning gifts for all races
Give each race its own special crowning gift

Currently mist elves, high elves, grey elves and dwarves have a special racial crowning gift. Would be nice if this could be extended to all races, to encourage more racial variety. I'd suggest:

Humans - Preserver (would be a nice bonus to an otherwise dull race, and fits with barbarians starting with an amulet of luck)
Gnomes - Farslayer
Trolls - Skullcrusher
Hurthlings - Whirlwind
Dark elf - Serpent's Bite
Orc - IronFist
Drakeling - Nature's Companion
Ratling - Lust for Glory

Grey elves could maybe due with a differentiating racial gift - perhaps Cloak of Oman.

Alternatively wholly new artifacts for several of these.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1500
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-19-2012 07:37 AM
Ancient Member
great idea however I would suggest a new artifact for all races. (lets face it we have another 40 coming, might as well add those in)

12-19-2012 08:58 AM
Ancient Member
I'd actually dislike this quite a bit (if implemented for all races. might be nice for humans, for instance). While (excepting mist elf, which is a real stinker if you aren't a caster-build), the current racial gifts are mostly balanced to be usable by everyone, it still majorly sucks to get them on any class with actual good crowning gifts. Which is fine: right now, you can play a different race and not have to worry about a racial crowning gift getting in the way. It's quite nice that way.

But those are just my subjective feelings on the matter..

12-19-2012 11:22 AM
Ancient Member
I think races shouldn't get special crowning gifts basically just because. It adds very little to racial variety: You only get crowned once, and even then it would be only a 1 in 7 chance to get that artifact. If your goal is to make races feel more distinct, this is about the least effective way to go about it.

You freely admit, though, that you don't have a reason to give Humans Preserver except that Humans are kinda teh suck and that might help. Dark elves are associated with spiders, not serpents. So I have to agree with Carter; if there were more racial crowning gifts, they should have a similar connection to their respective race as that of Hammerhead to the Dwarves.

12-20-2012 12:53 AM
Personally, I'd rather see a racial artifact as a guaranteed artifact for each race, somewhere in the game. That includes the ones that are currently possible crowning gifts.

That is, there should be a quest available to each race, with an artifact obtained at the end of that quest. That way, for instance, you naturally learn the story behind the item, and it adds to the actual variation between races in terms of the game itself.

12-20-2012 02:23 AM
Not really loving this idea so much, but I'd suggest tweaking crowning gifts to make it so every class has 6 different artifacts. Randomicity is the spice of Adom life.

12-20-2012 11:20 AM
Aielyn is on the money here, that would actually be a pretty great addition

12-20-2012 06:25 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
Personally, I'd rather see a racial artifact as a guaranteed artifact for each race, somewhere in the game. That includes the ones that are currently possible crowning gifts.
I dislike that as it would mean people building characters around a known guaranteed artifact they're ensured to get. Means less variety, more predictable, etc.

12-20-2012 06:51 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
I dislike that as it would mean people building characters around a known guaranteed artifact they're ensured to get. Means less variety, more predictable, etc.
Feels massively superior to diluting otherwise perfect crowning gift lists though. The predictability factor is not as much of an item if you place it late enough in the game (case in point being needle/sting). Perhaps a quest that only crowned champions could attempt?

12-20-2012 08:08 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
I don't like it either. It would imply adding 12 quests to the game that would be mutually exclusive, you would only be able to do one of them, and it wouldn't even be an in-game decision because the quest that you are allowed to do would be fixed from the beginning of the game (and everyone would do it if the artifact is good).

I'd much rather have quests accessible to each char... either compatible with each other or mutually exclusive, but in the latter case, involving interesting decisions and not just "since I'm a gray elf, I'll do the elven forest quest to obtain the elven bow of elvish elvenhood".

01-10-2013 12:38 PM
The Creator
I also dislike the various variants proposed. No win here.

+ Reply