Allow Wands of Door Creation to create doors in corridor walls
issueid=1546 12-24-2012 01:11 PM
Number of reported issues by Toffeeviola: 7
Allow Wands of Door Creation to create doors in corridor walls

An adventurer is in a corner, surrounded by monsters. They are low on hit points and are fresh out of power points. They can't feasibly kill all the monsters facing them. But all is not hopeless for they have a trick up their sleeve: a wand of door creation.

They zap the wand towards the wall behind them. The outline of a shining rectangle forms in the wall. The lines flash once and a door materializes. Ducking and weaving the blows of the surrounding enemies, the adventurer twists the handle of the door; flinging it open. An open corridor stands in front of them. Without hesitation the adventurer steps into the corridor. They then close the door behind them and lock it shut.

The bemused horde of monsters surge up against against the door, but they can't get through. They howl and roar their rage and bemusement.

The adventurer smiles and dusts themselves off, before calmly heading towards the stairwell. Another day, perhaps. They think.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1546
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 4
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-24-2012 02:37 PM
This would make Wands of Door Creation FAR too powerful for what they are.

I could certainly see this ability potentially being given to the Silver Key, with some cost attached to using it in this way, as that's meant to be an incredible artifact, something of great power or myth (and the ability to open solid rock as though it was a door would certainly fit). But for a wand of door creation, you're basically turning it from a minor wand that is useful on occasion into a tool that every adventurer should have multiples of, that would allow the PC to shortcut just about any problem location in the map (except perhaps water) without any further tools needed, and that would be far too easy to abuse.

A less unreasonable approach would be to create a Scroll of Doorway Creation. Note the "way". Such a scroll, relatively uncommon, would be used by casting at an adjacent wall. That wall would instantly be turned into a door, and the scroll would disintegrate. As such, the scroll would immediately be prevented from being easily abused by avoiding recharging, and it being relatively uncommon would ensure that the PC doesn't easily have a massive stockpile of them. If a PC wants to write them using a magical writing set, I have no problem with that.

In terms of the concept, it's not too bad - using magic of some sort to create a doorway in the stone.

12-24-2012 02:53 PM
Ancient Member
It doesn't sound that unbalanced to me... not much more powerful than a wand of digging, is it?

12-24-2012 03:02 PM
Ancient Member
So - is the corridor part of the wand's magic? Or is it only supposed to turn one square of wall into one square of door? In the latter case, it would only be really useful in those cases where a corridor just happens to be on the other side of a room wall - in which case I agree, that's a nice, flavorful way to get out of a fix that rewards player ingenuity. Getting rid of one square of wall doesn't sound that powerful compared to stuff other wands can do. Pickaxes can get rid of walls one square at a time, too, and they're not even remotely magical. The effect should be limited to blessed wands of door creation, to distinguish them from the uncursed ones.

12-24-2012 03:07 PM
Ancient Member
Yeah, considering how useful a wand of digging is (which I've actually used for precisely this purpose), as compared to this proposed effect.....it's not even remotely that powerful. [I assume it is supposed to turn one square into a door]

12-24-2012 03:33 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
It doesn't sound that unbalanced to me... not much more powerful than a wand of digging, is it?
Wands of door creation are way more common, there's even a guaranteed one with 100 charges (although unlikely to be necessary at the point you take on the Bug Temple).

From the description in the first post, it's not clear to me whether this would just turn a single wall tile into a door, or create a corridor towards the nearest exit in addition. Unconnected tunnels and rooms in ADOM are usually separated by more than a single wall tile, so at least three zaps would be required, and in the latter case, this would be a sort of radar-guided wand of digging...

12-24-2012 04:14 PM
A less unreasonable approach would be to create a Scroll of Doorway Creation. Note the "way". Such a scroll, relatively uncommon, would be used by casting at an adjacent wall. That wall would instantly be turned into a door, and the scroll would disintegrate. As such, the scroll would immediately be prevented from being easily abused by avoiding recharging, and it being relatively uncommon would ensure that the PC doesn't easily have a massive stockpile of them. If a PC wants to write them using a magical writing set, I have no problem with that.

In terms of the concept, it's not too bad - using magic of some sort to create a doorway in the stone.
That sounds like a decent idea to me!

EDIT: Does anyone else think we should scrap this feature suggestion and ask for a Scroll of Doorway Creation... on the off chance Thomas finds the idea entertaining enough to implement :)

12-24-2012 06:48 PM
Ancient Member
I don't think a scroll should be done, rather stick with the blessed wand. Even if wands are common, there is so many(7) ways to 'dig' through walls. I don't think it can be abused, besides it's faster than using a pick axe, which are fairly common.

On a related note: Aren't Monks supposed to be able to kick through walls, I can't get my lvl 17 to.

12-24-2012 07:42 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
On a related note: Aren't Monks supposed to be able to kick through walls, I can't get my lvl 17 to.
I think this may be a bug/change in 1.2.0pre7. Should be reported if it hasn't been already.

On the general point, I don't really like this change. Wands of door creation are already quite useful and there are other methods to produce this effect.

01-10-2013 03:06 PM
The Creator
Wouldn't you currently need a wand of digging and a wand of door creation to achieve this? Seems to be sufficient as far as I am concerned.

01-10-2013 04:41 PM
Ancient Member
It was more about giving the blessed wand of door creation some extra oomph, by allowing it to replace one spot of wall with a door. (I hope I'm not misrepresenting the OP here.) At least I'm not aware that there's any difference between an uncursed one and a blessed one right now, they both simply make doors. It might save a character's ass in an ingenious way if they have no digging and are backed into a tight spot, but safety lies behind just one spot of wall. It's a "Wouldn't it be cool if could..." thing, nothing more.

01-10-2013 05:03 PM
Ancient Member
Assuming that those new doors are closed (randomly locked) when created, it could be interesting with booby traps, fireballs and such being generated along with the door.
In that case your low hp PC might want to escape a corner situation by making a door, only to be crushed by a stone block hitting their head. Random, unexpected, fun. I can see all those new YASDs.
"the door explodes! you partially evade the explosion! your blessed 7LB are shredded! your blessed amulet of life saving is melted by the heat! your girdle of giant strength is torn apart! you are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die..."

+ Reply