[suggestion] Favourite weapons
issueid=1568 12-25-2012 09:13 AM
Number of reported issues by cyrilverba: 7
[suggestion] Favourite weapons
Enable all races to have different preferred weapons

Gnomes are proficient with x-bows and gain mastery levels faster; why not extend this mechanic to other races for each of them to have a favourite weapon: make trolls like two-handed stuff, high elves like swords, grey elves like staves etc. Also, would be nice to actually make that count: a grey elven wizard would be strongly encouraged to fight with a staff over a slightly more powerful other weapon.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1568
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-26-2012 01:32 AM
ooh and humans can be *slightly* proficient in everything :)

12-31-2012 04:41 AM
Priests proficient with blunt weapons would be nice also.

12-31-2012 08:05 AM
Ancient Member
I don't really think I like this, although I guess I don't dislike it enough to vote against, so I'm just not voting.

Thematically is not bad, but in roguelikes I like the fact of playing with the cards you're dealt, making the best out of the equipment you get, and every game being different depending on what you find.

I've seen several suggestions lately that aim to differentiate races and/or classes by streamlining them, this is one of these. But the problem is that if you make an R/C combo have advantages with specific kinds of weapons (or artifacts, as in other suggestion), you take away from the in-game strategic choices. If this effect is really noticeable, almost all grey elven wizards would fight with staves, there would be few decisions to make with regard to weapon. And if the effect is so slight that you almost don't notice in practice, who cares.

I'd only use this for some very specific thematic cases, as it is now (like hurthlings with rocks) and maybe to promote some rarely used weapons, for example scurgari for drakelings, whips, or even the mentioned staves. But even for that latter purpose I'd just prefer to buff those weapons: having weapons in game that are always good for some characters but always complete crap for the rest is not very satisfactory from the "strategic decisions" point of view.

It's true that the races in ADOM have traditionally been rather similar (at least by the point most people scummed the stats with herbs) but I think this should have mostly been fixed by the changes to potentials (at least if the rumored x,x+1 -> x+1,x+2 bug is fixed too). Probably some specific races (like gray vs. high elf) would need more differences. But I'd prefer more special powers and restrictions (like acid spit or special metabolism for drakelings or iron allergy for mist elves) instead of weapon affinities.

12-31-2012 02:50 PM
I think it's a good mechanic to implement more broadly. But not all races/classes need to have it.

For example, currently wizards require x2 marks for all weapon skills. Maybe this could be reduced to x1.5 marks for daggers and staves. I like practicing with staves as a wizard, but by the time I even get +3 bonus to DV, I've usually found a shield, and staying alive is more important. Priests, on the other hand, are such a versatile category that they don't need any special bonus/penalty to a given weapon.

A slight bonus to scurgari marks for drakelings is a good idea.

01-10-2013 05:33 PM
The Creator
I don't like it as next all race/class combos would need to be checked, etc. I added these "affinities" to make a very few races special in a minor respect but I don't see this as a universal feature for all races.

+ Reply