Darkvision
issueid=1537 12-23-2012 05:53 PM
Number of reported issues by plllizzz9: 14
Darkvision

Since ADOM is rooted in DnD, wouldn't it make sense for some depth dwelling races or those with exceptional perception... see in the dark?

As in, at least the ability to see the placement of enemies. I think it'd make sense, especially since a limited number of races even starts with the equipment necessary to produce light. I think it could be included now, when enemies that can't see in the darkness actually can still act when placed in it.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1537
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-24-2012 01:44 PM
Maybe that can be given trough some kind of item, which should be rare enough.

12-24-2012 02:39 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver
Maybe that can be given trough some kind of item, which should be rare enough.
Maybe a "Helmet of Darkvision". When blessed, grants +SeeDark and +SeeI. When uncursed, grants just +SeeDark. When cursed, causes blindness.

12-24-2012 03:08 PM
Ancient Member
By lore, races such as dark elves and orcs do see better in the dark, which translates into a line of sight bonus inside dungeons (or is supposed to, not sure if it works) and a penalty under daylight, respectively. The Darkness you find in dungeons or create with spells is a magical sort of darkness. Bright light will penetrate it, but eyes alone won't work. At least not the eyes of one of the player races.

12-24-2012 03:36 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
At least not the eyes of one of the player races.
Because monster orcs, trolls and dark elves can see just fine.

I always saw this as an element of balance: You can create darkness to have an easier time killing monsters that can't see in it, if you're fine with being under the same situation. And not everything can be dealt with this way.

01-10-2013 05:37 PM
The Creator
Darkness is considered magical. Thus magical darkvision is not part of any racial package. Normal darkvision is abstracted as the dungeons are lighted by default.

+ Reply