Make item upgrading scrolls targetable
issueid=5589 11-02-2017 05:51 PM
Number of reported issues by Qui: 98
Make item upgrading scrolls targetable

Make protection and defense ask for target item, instead of just doing their thing. The way these work right now:
-require being spoiled to know they can target items other than body armour
-require taking off equipment if you want these to target something specific
-provide no meaningful feedback on failure

Improve melee accuracy/damage are not as bad, but if possible I think they should also be targetable.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5589
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 16
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-02-2017 09:47 PM
yes please

11-03-2017 12:21 PM
Ancient Member
The current mechanics can be applied to the first unidentified use, but targeting seems like a better option if you already know what you are doing. Learning the upgrade order (as well as figuring out it exists in the first place) is just a matter of rather annoying trial & order, while manipulating it is a matter of extra key presses. I doubt these scrolls can actually help you in a turn-restricted situation.

11-03-2017 01:32 PM
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
The current mechanics can be applied to the first unidentified use, but targeting seems like a better option if you already know what you are doing. Learning the upgrade order (as well as figuring out it exists in the first place) is just a matter of rather annoying trial & order, while manipulating it is a matter of extra key presses.
My thoughts exactly. Unidentified use should just let the scroll do its thing, but once you know it for what it is, you should be able to choose. Right now, that's one of those things that are very user-unfriendly for no particular reason.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
I doubt these scrolls can actually help you in a turn-restricted situation.
Though I also doubt that particular problem would come up very often (these are better used as general preparation for combat, at leisure; in a tight spot there's almost always something better to do with your turns than add 1-2 extra points of PV), except in certain very specific cases, e.g. being at very low HP, not having enough piety for a prayer, having equipment with very low PV and suddenly being surrounded by a swarm of rats summoned by a wererat. :)

11-12-2017 10:45 AM
Unidentified ones could also be targetable, but should ask "what item you want to target with this" and not give any prompt on what it will do, similarly to Identify scrolls (which should be changed to not tell you that it will identify, just ask what to target.). Add item destruction to the pile, so reading random scrolls and targeting your SLBs with them is actually risky. This would allow the following scrolls to target:

Scroll of Repair
Scroll of Charging
Scroll of Increase Melee Damage
Scroll of Increase Melee Accuracy
Scroll of Defense
Scroll of Protection
Scroll of Identify
Scroll of Great Identify
Scroll of Item Destruction

Which should be enough to create reasonable doubt when reading unidentified scrolls.

+ Reply