Restrict wilderness encounters until the PC reaches level 2
issueid=1628 01-03-2013 11:27 AM
Number of reported issues by tootboot: 5
Restrict wilderness encounters until the PC reaches level 2

Not a huge issue but when you get a nice race/class/starsign/talent combination it's very annoying to lose the character after moving a few spaces into the chain. A lot of times you're dead before you can reach the edge of the screen to flee. A level 1 character has limited prospects for survival when surrounded by 10 monsters in melee. For some reason getting unlucky with a trap feels less frustrating because at least you got to wherever you were going before you died. You could theoretically have made an in-game choice that would have affected your survival.

Potential fix: No wilderness encounters are generated until the PC reaches level 2.
Another potential fix: No wilderness encounters are generated before the first location is entered
Another potential fix: No wilderness encounters are generated before the PC has moved 15, 25, or 30 spaces on the world map. (I think this one would be the least abuseable, you could get to Terinyo and your first dungeon but you'd still have some risk if you wanted to go halfway across the map)
Another potential fix: Wilderness encounters scale with character level or background corruption. Probably fits the best lorewise but involves the most work.

Mainly just a small quality of life fix
Issue Details
Issue Number 1628
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 11
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-03-2013 12:35 PM
They already scale with level.

01-03-2013 01:02 PM
Ancient Member
Maybe none until 1 game day has passed?

01-03-2013 01:37 PM
Ancient Member
I just don't like this change conceptually. ADOM is a living and breathing world, that's one of the game's strengths - but it's also a cruel world. I don't think making it artificially nicer for level 1 characters or an arbitrary period of time is the way to go. Not to mention that it's an issue that crops up extremely rarely. Wilderness encounters can be evaded; if they can't be evaded, they can usually be fled from. We're talking at most about ambushes, and they're extremely rare in that short a time frame - and it's much easier to reload characters at this stage.

At most I would support disabling ambushes rather than wilderness encounters entirely.

01-03-2013 02:43 PM
Ancient Member
AFAIK, there are no wilderness encounters before you reach Terinyo (at least, I don't remember ever seeing one). I think that's fair enough. With stealth or survival or Scout talent, your chance of evading is pretty high, or you can take speed talents and your chances of escaping are pretty high.

01-03-2013 03:16 PM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
AFAIK, there are no wilderness encounters before you reach Terinyo (at least, I don't remember ever seeing one).
I think that's just the chain-entry road (which I'm going to call Terinyo Road). As long as you stay on Terinyo Road on your way to Terinyo, I think you won't face any encounters. It's possible that those squares never have encounters, or it may be that they only start at higher levels.

Anyway, restricting wilderness encounters can be a nuisance if you're trying to track down Kranach and still save the puppy. And since the puppy cave is a location that all characters can visit, and one can travel there without ever leaving Terinyo Road, so it should be possible to guarantee reaching level 2 without any wilderness encounters.

01-03-2013 04:31 PM
Ancient Member
I'm against it. It adds flavor, I wouldn't want ADOM to turn into one of those scaling games that are so popular these days (elder scrolls after morrowind, anybody?).
If the game was restricted in the proposed manner, I'd have no probs getting my wiz to the bug temple unobstructed, and only leave to face the wilderness at a convenient level 12-13, with all the quickness talents.
Right now I need to be careful to not get ambushed and overrun by large packs of summonable monsters.
If anything, wilderness encounters should be made more dangerous, with monsters that can kill the PC from a range within 2-3 turns. This would prompt more people to stay in PC and VD for a longer time before considering CoC or even ID.

01-03-2013 04:39 PM
Ancient Member
ADOM already is a scaling game. Wilderness encounters are scaled, enemy difficulty is scaled, item drops are scaled. The suggestion here is really just a minor extension of the existing system.

01-03-2013 10:28 PM
Ancient Member
The wilderness is supposed to be a potentially dangerous place. For someone going on a quest to save the world (as the PC is within the storyline), that's an assumed risk.

01-04-2013 12:06 AM
I'm against it in terms of flavor, lore, gameplay and balance. Most of my deaths as a beginner were not due to wilderness encounters, anyway.

01-04-2013 08:04 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by aerol
I'm against it in terms of flavor, lore, gameplay and balance. Most of my deaths as a beginner were not due to wilderness encounters, anyway.
Unless, like me you always tried to do the slay Kranach quest. :P

01-10-2013 11:16 AM
The Creator
Just don't like it, sorry.

+ Reply