Improve Druid Class Powers
issueid=4578 10-30-2016 02:50 AM
Number of reported issues by Jarinex: 10
Improve Druid Class Powers
Make Druid Class Powers Better

So I know people have mentioned once or twice about class powers for certain classes being underwhelming, but
I didn't notice any specific RFE's being made about them, so I thought I would make my own.

As the title of this RFE says, I would like to propose ideas for improving the Druid's class powers.

Here is each class power and how I believe they can be improved:

Level 6: Choosing to 'e'vade wilderness encounters will always work

This is a decent starting power, but I believe it might be improved bytaking the level 18 power (immune to
weather effects) and tagging it to this one as well (kind of like the rangers first power). I'm also for the idea of
making the terrain not slow down the druid (same as the ranger), as the druid SHOULD know the forest and not
get lost in it. Either way, that would improve this class power.

Level 12: PP regeneration in the wilderness is increased to twice its usual rate

Now this might seem useful, but the problem I have with this power is that most of the time we are in dungeons
and indoor areas, so there isn't really much use for it. I propose that the power should at least increase PP regeneration
even if you are not outdoors (sort of like how the healer class recovers 2 hp each turn with natural regen)

Level 18: Gains immunity to 'all weather effects' (i.e. rain)

In my opinion this one is almost nearly useless, so I feel it should be tagged on to another class power instead
of being by itself. Instead, I propose a different class power that would be more useful in this slot. My ideas include:

A. Extra 10% PV to armor; sort of like how the Fighter has. You could have it so like druids have "barkskin"
B. Poision resistance or immunity; druids in some other games have immunity to poison, so why not the druid in ADOM?
C. Healing Touch or Cure Disease; sort of like one of the paladins powers

Personally, I'm fond of the first one since the druid is sort of like a caster that uses weapons to fight, but theother two work well for me as well.

Level 25: Gains ability to summon 1d3 major animals, at the cost of 1d3 Mana points This also trains Mana (similarly to necromancy)

I'm not sure how to change this power much (since I'm aiming for simple changes). Perhaps make it more likely that the summons will follow commands. It would also be cool if we had the ability to pick the animals we use (similar to how a necromancer does it).

Level 32: HP regeneration in the wilderness is increased to twice its usual rate

Again, same problem as the level 12 power. Would be nice to have it work indoors as well as out.

Level 40: Gains shock immunity

This one is probably the only decent power the druid has. It isn't often needed, but when you do need it it helps. I'm open to discussion on what to change here. Maybe change it from shock immunity to resistances to fire, cold, acid and lightening etc.

Level 50: Corruption inflicted on the PC from monster attacks is reduced by 10%

Now this is the power I feel that definitely needs changing. For a level 50 power, its very underwhelming. If we are to base
this power on it's description, then it only reduced corruption ATTACKS of enemies (not background corruption). Honestly, I believe it should do more. If you compare it to other classes that have a similar power, they get a much larger reduction than the druid. The paladin gets a 30% reduction, and that's to ALL corruption, not just attacks. Heck, even the farmer gets a 30% reduction. How does it even make sense that a FARMER gets 30% to all corruption, while the DRUID gets a measly reduction of 10% JUST to corrupting attacks...

So, I propose we bump that number up to AT LEAST 25%, along with also making it so that ALL sources are reduced by that much. If you would be okay making it 30% just like the paladin and druid, then I'm all for it. In fact, maybe you can make it so background corruption is lowered by 20% and make it so corruption from attacks are reduced by 35-40% to make druids abilities more unique.

I know many have suggested more complex ideas, but my ideas lean more towards the side of simplicity (just to make
it easier to implement).

These are my opinions about changes to the druid. I would love to hear anyone else's ideas, and hopefully TB can take a look at consider them. :)
Issue Details
Issue Number 4578
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-30-2016 05:08 PM
Level 18: Gains immunity to 'all weather effects' (i.e. rain)
in my opinion this one is almost nearly useless
Does it work on weather effects in the Snow Queen's domain (especially frost destruction of potions)? If it does, it is a decent power, and at appropriate level.

Level 32: HP regeneration in the wilderness is increased to twice its usual rate
Again, same problem as the level 12 power. Would be nice to have it work indoors as well as out.
It is much, much worse than lvl 12 power. Druid is a caster, so PP regeneration is somewhat useful, but HP regeneration (and at level 32!) is completely irrelevant due to ability to restore it with a few spells.

Since Druid's abilities are Nature-based, it might make sense for them to work in Elemental Temples.

10-30-2016 06:12 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
Does it work on weather effects in the Snow Queen's domain (especially frost destruction of potions)? If it does, it is a decent power, and at appropriate level.
Uh, that's a good question. I just assume it's only when you are outside in the wilderness itself, so idk. Honestly, I can see what you mean, but I would rather have it active all the time rather than just only in a couple situations where you are outside.

It is much, much worse than lvl 12 power. Druid is a caster, so PP regeneration is somewhat useful, but HP regeneration (and at level 32!) is completely irrelevant due to ability to restore it with a few spells.
Hmm, that is a good point. Perhaps they should be switched? Or maybe replaced with something more useful?

10-30-2016 07:04 PM
Ancient Member
I feel like some of the class powers need carbon dating, they were conceived at a time where the gameplay was still being fleshed out and experimented with and haven't been examined since, and perhaps their usefulness would have been very different if the game had taken a different direction. There are quite a few near-useless class powers, or just unexciting to get at the progression point they are unlocked, especially wilderness orientated ones (perhaps overworld gameplay was meant to be more partaken in than it ended up being). Mindcrafters also have two monster-detecting abilities, one making the other obsolete. I think some of the class powers can be more inventive and interesting than they currently are.

Frankly I think talents, star signs and class powers all need retuning. It feels a bit like the game is balanced from afar and needs the input of players to get it right.

re: weather effects, I have had my equipment drenched and rusted in wilderness from rain, but it is rare!

10-30-2016 07:54 PM
Ancient Member
At present, no. See 4308.

[edit]Not voting on this one way or another. I think the idea of messing around with class powers is probably a good idea in principle, but it's a large scale project, IMHO... I'd say probably about half of the classes could use some tinkering, and it may be better to tackle it more systematically, assuming TB wants to revisit this issue at all.

10-31-2016 12:04 AM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer

[edit]Not voting on this one way or another. I think the idea of messing around with class powers is probably a good idea in principle, but it's a large scale project, IMHO... I'd say probably about half of the classes could use some tinkering, and it may be better to tackle it more systematically, assuming TB wants to revisit this issue at all.
Honestly I completely agree. There should be a lot of changes, but as you said it would be a complete overhaul that would have to be done and a lot of work. I was just kind of thinking more simply, but I would absolutely love to see that happen.

Along with that, I just wanted to get TB's attention so he would see it :P

10-31-2016 05:31 AM
Ancient Member
I don't think it's good to implement greatest hits collection for class powers (PP regen, HP regen, extra PV, corruption resist).

As it is now most classes are good at something - fighters at getting PV, healers regenerating HP... Druids are good in wilderness (by the way ranger power does not work while going through forest, it works on zoomed in wilderness - prevents slowdowns from swamp, hilly squares).
Druid area of specialty (wilderness) sucks a lot, maybe they could sort of specialize somewhere else (lightning for example - could get bolts/ball spell access on levelups, etc )

10-31-2016 06:10 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Soirana
Druid area of specialty (wilderness) sucks a lot, maybe they could sort of specialize somewhere else (lightning for example - could get bolts/ball spell access on levelups, etc )
I like this, and since they need to be careful with animals anyway, it would not be overpowered. They could maybe start getting the castings at a rather low level (especially bolt) but a rather small amount of castings per level.

10-31-2016 06:41 AM
As it is now most classes are good at something - fighters at getting PV, healers regenerating HP... Druids are good in wilderness (by the way ranger power does not work while going through forest, it works on zoomed in wilderness - prevents slowdowns from swamp, hilly squares).
I'm all up for more lightning stuff. I really would like the wilderness to get some love. I could have sworn TB mention something about it at some point, but my memory is a little fuzzy.

I don't think it's good to implement greatest hits collection for class powers (PP regen, HP regen, extra PV, corruption resist).
Yeah, like I said, just trying to think simple. Can we at least agree that the corruption reduction should at least be boosted? I still believe that is an underwhelming power, at least compared with the other two classes with the same ability.

10-31-2016 07:30 AM
How about making druids at some point, maybe lvl 18 or 25, immune to background corruption in the wilderness and open-air areas (Terinyo, Lawenilothehl, HMV, bug wilderness, unicorn glades, stone circle, barbarian clearing, maybe quickling tree)? It'd be thematic and IMHO not imbalancing since the wilderness isn't exactly a place where you win the game.

10-31-2016 11:07 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Jarinex
Yeah, like I said, just trying to think simple. Can we at least agree that the corruption reduction should at least be boosted? I still believe that is an underwhelming power, at least compared with the other two classes with the same ability.
Don't monks have exactly the same power at lv50?

10-31-2016 07:59 PM
Don't monks have exactly the same power at lv50?

Oh yeah, your right. We should change that one too ;p

Honestly, I agree with Jellyslayer and his idea of revisiting all the class powers that could use a fix up. Maybe someday TB could revisit them and change them up a bit.

10-31-2016 08:33 PM
Ability to create potions of cure corruption would fit druids quite well.

+ Reply