Amount of pregenerated monsters
issueid=2877 04-24-2014 05:56 AM
Number of reported issues by asdf: 54
Amount of pregenerated monsters

According to wands of monster detection, amount of monsters in freshly generated dungeon levels seems to be 40-50 on higher danger levels. I do not have exact numbers on p20 behavior, but it was around maybe 10, with 20 being the limit, and 40 is enough to completely pacify even Big Room.

Is this such drastic change intented, and everything is fine? No calling "PopulateLevel" two times, or anything? It may be a little too much monsters. While 20-30 in my opinion is perfectly fine on high DL - 40-50 is over the top.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2877
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 3
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-24-2014 07:28 AM
Ancient Member
Disagree.

I like the new behaviour

04-24-2014 07:36 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Carter
Disagree.

I like the new behaviour
Yes me too, it does now feel as if you are walking around in a dangerous world and not some deserted place. It has also helped to fix the slow character levelling issue. Background corruption has been tremendously slowed to accommodate this change, so there is no more a need(well until #430 is gone :p) to rush through deeper levels. Instead you get a chance to play and not just walk.

As I've said elsewhere, the only two levels I'd suggest a reduction in monster count is DH:1 and 2. To lure the player into there.

04-24-2014 08:03 AM
Ancient Member
I agree with the OP, I think the previous amount of monsters was OK. What adds to the fun is dungeon features that are packed with monsters (vaults, tension rooms, threat rooms, etc.) I'd rather have more of those than more monsters packed in the standard rooms and corridors.

04-24-2014 08:04 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Carter
Disagree.

I like the new behaviour
It is inconsistent. It is probably a bug - initial spawn on levels is 40-50 monsters, cleared levels spawns barely 20, and usually even less then that, and i dont remember any RFE about changing that.

04-24-2014 06:18 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by asdf
It is inconsistent. It is probably a bug - initial spawn on levels is 40-50 monsters, cleared levels spawns barely 20, and usually even less then that, and i dont remember any RFE about changing that.

I don't know where the actual numbers should be - I haven't played pre21. But conceptually, I like the idea that the deep levels start with higher counts than their replacement count. It provides several things:
1) Gameplay: You can start to feel like you've "cleared" a level - or at least made it partly safer - even if it doesn't have tension rooms, etc, because the monster count will decrease.
2) Gameplay: It makes ascending back through previous levels faster, even without on-demand teleport, since there are fewer monsters than there were the first time.
3) Fiction: The lower levels have had time to build up monsters (higher levels always seem to have adventurers killing them), so they're at higher counts - but they drop over time.

04-27-2014 11:42 AM
The Creator
It's been adjusted to pre-p21 levels. See http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2895

+ Reply