Adding notes in quest list screen
issueid=2878 04-24-2014 09:08 AM
Number of reported issues by Booster: 10
Adding notes in quest list screen

I don't get as much time to play as I used to, so often with my more successful characters I'll forget where things are over the course of the life of the character (if I take a break from playing for a few days for example). Would it be possible to implement a system where we can take notes in-game? This doesn't need to be overly complex (i.e. finding a journal and/or quill item), but it could be tied to literacy where you'd need to be at least literate to write notes. I think it could work as a sub-screen of the quest screen

I realize you can easily do this out of the game with notepad, but it could be something fun to have in-game as a way to list shops, special rooms, pools, altars, herbs etc that you come across during play-through and to use as a reference point.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2878
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 22
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-24-2014 09:29 AM
Is this horse still kicking?

*Hands Booster a shovel*

Go on, give it a few whacks, never know what might happen...

04-24-2014 09:51 AM
Didn't realize this had been requested before... well it would be convenient! :)

04-24-2014 10:33 AM
Oh, it's been mentioned once or twice.

05-02-2014 02:34 AM
I too would love this. I think it's important enough that, personally, I would have created a whole "diary" of sorts. Just a blank page where you can enter any text you want.
I often run one character at the office, and one at home, and I get confused what I have done with which. ..The idea of adding it to the quest-list screen is good. Might simplify the implementation.
Even if I wasn't running multiple characters, who has a good enough memory to recall their first kill on their 10th character for the week? Or, I've got pick-pockets now, dived the puppy cave, but have I killed Kranach? The puppy cave had the lawful alter on level three, and the Druid dungeon had the neutral altar on two .. or was it the other way around?

I vaguely remember the discussions of the past about it. But now that the resurrection campaign is under way, and we hope to bring ADOM to the masses, wouldn't it be more newbie-friendly to have things like note-taking integrated?

Of course, if this one of those "oh no, not again" topics, and there's no hope of it being considered, I apologise for beating an already well-beaten dead horse.

05-02-2014 04:39 AM
It seems like this isn't going to happen. I thought about a potential workaround for this using the item description notation you can hoard items you don't use (like rocks or other low weight items; preferably indestructible) and name each of them with short notes indicating various milestones. Not the best solution, but it can work. If you want to RP, you can do this for blank scrolls only :)

05-02-2014 06:46 AM
Ancient Member
Guys, although this feature would be nice, you can always use a real pen and paper to take notes, i know i've already used tens of those, for the hundreds of chars that died on me.

+ Reply