Willpower affects the radius of an alchemy explosion.
issueid=2304 08-25-2013 11:51 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Stingray1: 97
Willpower affects the radius of an alchemy explosion.

When a player 'a'plies the alchemy skill and chooses the wrong ingredients a fiery explosion engulfs the character.

The radius of this explosion increases with a high value in the Willpower attribute.

This gives a character with fire immunity and equipment protection items the ability to create unlimited large area of effect fire balls.

As even 2 herbs mixed results in an explosion and herbs are easy to acquire in large quantities.

Willpower should not affect the radius.

I would like to suggest that when 2 herbs are mixed, the resulting explosion only occurs on the tile the PC is occupying.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2304
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 6
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 14
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 22
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-24-2014 03:08 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Those explosions are obviously magical, if you can make two herbs or potions of water blow up. I think it makes sense that they would call the same code magic and be affected by the attributes of the person invoking them.
To me, that's the main bug - alchemy shouldn't permit mixing of two herbs, and alchemy with two of the same potion should just result in wasting one of the two potions. I'd also suggest a special case of mixing orange juice and water, which should waste the water.

04-27-2014 11:48 AM
Aielyn - I disagree. I think it should. i like offensive alchemy, it's a nice feather in the hat of non-spellcaster alchemy characters. Offensive alchemy would become too expensive to be practical if it required wasting potions every use.
Also, I don't think alchemy is supposed to be emulating real-life science. For one, you can make stuff like potions of youth that work. Secondly, the game itself states that herbs are magical.

04-27-2014 12:24 PM
Quote Originally Posted by sylph
Aielyn - I disagree. I think it should. i like offensive alchemy, it's a nice feather in the hat of non-spellcaster alchemy characters. Offensive alchemy would become too expensive to be practical if it required wasting potions every use.
Also, I don't think alchemy is supposed to be emulating real-life science. For one, you can make stuff like potions of youth that work. Secondly, the game itself states that herbs are magical.
I recognise the value of offensive alchemy, but it shouldn't be easy to do. And the point regarding herbs is that... well, what exactly are you supposed to be doing by using alchemy on two herbs? Rubbing them together? How does that make any sense, magical or not? When you combine two potions, or one potion with one herb, it involves mixing things in a vial in the hopes of making a new potion. Rubbing two herbs together sounds more like a nervous habit than a serious attempt at making a potion. Especially given that you can do it by using it on two of the SAME herb - rub two burb roots together, get an explosion?

On a related note, I think it would be quite funny and cool if it were possible to use alchemy to make a special potion that is capable of turning dipped ores (amongst other things) into gold (gp).

04-27-2014 12:31 PM
Ancient Member
The problem with mixing two herbs is that it gives you unlimited "castings", where with magic you would also use PP and wands charges and of course it doesn't make sense.

04-27-2014 12:38 PM
The Creator
Ahem. My friend. Which level of the infinite caves was that supposed to be?

It must have been level 10.000+.

So you are wasting our time by extrapolated ultra-cheated game contexts.

Actually acid immunity internally divides damage by 10.000. Which is more than enough to reduce all realistic damage to 0. Still suffering 45.000 points of damage actually means that the vortex (which causes damage of (monster power level)d7+(monster power level)) probably was something like level... well... many tens of thousands. Because it needed to cause 45.000.000 points of damage to be able to get you into this situation. Which is ridiculous.

Please note that you are totally cheating next time. This just doesn't help and might cause us to spend hours debugging stuff that doesn't need any debugging.

04-27-2014 12:48 PM
The Creator
BTW, dividing damage by 10.000 for immunity even has a kind of 'simulationist' background: The idea was that a being like superman might be immune to bullets, shells, skyscrapers toppling on him, etc. - but if a being able to smash Earth with its fists starts pummeling him, he might feel the pain. Your acid experience was similar to what would happen to a fire lizard being thrown into the center of the sun. Yeah, you might be immune to heat... but maybe immunity only goes so far ;-)

Or in other words: There is always someone out there being able to get you. Never feel safe. It's ADOM.

04-27-2014 12:50 PM
The Creator
And as I am really annoyed about wasting time on this non-issue: Please not that you should bow before the greatness of ADOM's ancient code base as it is able to cope even with such heavily manipulated contexts - where other games of lesser glory long would have crash - instead of filing issues without leaving a hint that you are experimenting with conditions that are impossible to attain under any normal circumstances.

04-27-2014 03:56 PM
Ancient Member
I posted that picture just for fun, since people were arguing whether vortices' experience level affects their blast radius - and the screen-filling explosion is well, hilarious. Of course a cheating program was used, I wouldn't have the audacity of claiming to have found a bug in the game when it's impossible to reach that ID level in a normal game to begin with (and I'd create a proper report otherwise).

If my post was somehow offensive, I apologize, offending or making you waste your time was not at all what I intended.

04-27-2014 06:26 PM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
I posted that picture just for fun, since people were arguing whether vortices' experience level affects their blast radius - and the screen-filling explosion is well, hilarious. Of course a cheating program was used, I wouldn't have the audacity of claiming to have found a bug in the game when it's impossible to reach that ID level in a normal game to begin with (and I'd create a proper report otherwise).

If my post was somehow offensive, I apologize, offending or making you waste your time was not at all what I intended.
No, the picture wasn't. But I today remembered that I need to be a lot more careful about bug reports based on guesses ;-)

+ Reply