No way to cancel multiple drop operation in stores
issueid=5061 09-19-2017 02:52 PM
Number of reported issues by BenMathiesen: 99
No way to cancel multiple drop operation in stores

I was in the store and pressed 2 to try to drop some of my pickaxes for selling. But I hadn't filtered to only the pickaxes beforehand.
Now I have to go through 50 or so dialogs to tell the inventory system that I want to drop 0 of every stack. A way to cancel the drop action at this stage would be nice.

More generally, any multiple drop in a store triggers a long sequence of dialogs that the player should be able to abort.

Even more generally, the sequence of commands needed to pick up or drop only some of a single stack in your inventory is unintuitive.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5061
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All without NotEye
Status Not a Bug
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 2.3.1
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-19-2017 06:23 PM
The Creator
Regarding being "intuitive" - what makes it less intuitive than the old ";" / ":d" / "Ctrl-d" (except that those motions are hard-wired by now). I find the new way at least more consistent.

So please be more detailed in criticism to that feature as that would allow me to consider improvements.

Regarding aborting: Do you have any good suggestions on how to do that?

09-19-2017 06:53 PM
Well, as for unintuitive I still don't know how. Let's say I have a stack of pickaxes. I enter the inventory, filter on tools, press the letter corresponding to the pickaxes, then press 2 for 'some'. Is that how it's supposed to work? But then it drops all tools, and the only difference is that I get dialogs for each stack asking how many. Don't get me wrong, the new interface is definitely more powerful and makes more sense, but so far that's one use case that I haven't grokked.

As for the cancel, is it possible to just have the Z option in each dialog in order for to abort the rest of the drop action, if they made a mistake?

09-19-2017 07:15 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by BenMathiesen
Let's say I have a stack of pickaxes. I enter the inventory, filter on tools, press the letter corresponding to the pickaxes, then press 2 for 'some'. Is that how it's supposed to work? But then it drops all tools, and the only difference is that I get dialogs for each stack asking how many.
I can't check the game right now, but isn't there a way to drop a custom amount from a stack, namely control+[letter]? (I might remember the command wrong.)

The "2 for 'some'" is indeed confusing. Apparently it auto-selects all single items, and asks you one by one for specific amounts regarding stacks.

09-19-2017 07:26 PM
Ancient Member
I believe 2 is for "Most" not "Some". If you want to drop "some" of a single item stack you need to specify it with a capital letter.

09-19-2017 08:47 PM
Hi Grond, thanks for the tip. I thought the 'some' in the menu was referring to the 123 options, I didn't catch that it was defining the difference between lowercase and uppercase letters.

09-19-2017 10:09 PM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by BenMathiesen
Well, as for unintuitive I still don't know how. Let's say I have a stack of pickaxes. I enter the inventory, filter on tools, press the letter corresponding to the pickaxes, then press 2 for 'some'. Is that how it's supposed to work? But then it drops all tools, and the only difference is that I get dialogs for each stack asking how many. Don't get me wrong, the new interface is definitely more powerful and makes more sense, but so far that's one use case that I haven't grokked.

As for the cancel, is it possible to just have the Z option in each dialog in order for to abort the rest of the drop action, if they made a mistake?
Let's say you have 4 pick axes and want to drop 3 of them. Let's say the pick axes are item [b] in your current list. Just press 'B' (Shift-b) and you will be asked how many you would like to drop of that single item.

Does that help :-) ?

09-20-2017 02:40 PM
Yes, thanks to you and Grond. I didn't catch the difference between lowercase and uppercase.

09-21-2017 08:10 AM
The Creator
Any ideas on how to improve the wording for the help text? The current "Drop / some" was chosen because I have very little room for text in that line... so it's really a challenge.

09-25-2017 07:27 AM
The Creator
Due to a lack of suggestions on how to improve I will close this for now. If good suggestions come up please file a new RFE.

Regarding the original question: I probably would go to multi-select (9) and then select the precise amounts for each stack I want to drop by pressing Shift+letter.

09-25-2017 09:01 AM
How about aborting a multiple drop?

+ Reply