[Balance] Nerf spenseweed
issueid=1381 12-06-2012 03:40 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grey: 58
[Balance] Nerf spenseweed
Reduce/change the healing from spenseweed to prevent abuse

Currently spenseweed is an unlimited healing source. Which I'm okay with really - having a way to heal up in not too many turns after battle is important when in corrupting areas. However currently blessed spenseweed heals so much that it becomes a viable strategy to use it in dangerous battles. I don't think this is appropriate, and it ruins some of the challenge in the game.

Simple suggestion is reduce the amount of healing it provides, especially when blessed, to around 40% of what it currently provides.

Another suggestion (more complicated) would be so that it doesn't cause direct instant healing, but instead gives a "Regenerating" status that spreads the healing over several turns. Applying the spenseweed whilst already regenerating wouldn't have an effect. This would give it a tactical use in battle, but wouldn't let it be abused to counter all incoming damage.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1381
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status In Progress
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 6
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 6
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 6
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-06-2012 04:33 PM
The Creator
Reduced to about 40% effectiveness as suggested.

12-06-2012 05:14 PM
Ancient Member
Should this apply to pepper petals as well? I'd imagine that otherwise everyone will just use peppers instead of spense.

Though, personally, I'd suggest making peppers a little stronger (maybe 60%?) as they grow much less efficiently and are less effective in combat.

12-06-2012 06:09 PM
Ancient Member
And you can't eat them while bloated, so it makes sense that they'd be balanced by being more powerful.

12-06-2012 06:48 PM
Ancient Member
Peppers are also harder to farm since you only get 50% per bush. And they heal a low amount already.

12-06-2012 06:54 PM
Ancient Member
My impression was that they heal about the same as spense while blessed. It's been awhile since I used them for anything though, so I could be wrong. If it's already lower, well, then that's fine, I suppose.

12-06-2012 07:14 PM
Ancient Member
Pepper petals heal about the same as spenseweed in all statuses, if not slightly more. You could keep pepper petals at the old values, but jack up their satiation so eating a blessed one takes two turns (if it doesn't already). No issue at all when it comes to healing inbetween battles, but in-battle, they're only half as good.

12-06-2012 08:30 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
Pepper petals heal about the same as spenseweed in all statuses, if not slightly more. You could keep pepper petals at the old values, but jack up their satiation so eating a blessed one takes two turns (if it doesn't already). No issue at all when it comes to healing inbetween battles, but in-battle, they're only half as good.
I find blessed peppers quite useful during battles. I use spenseweed mostly and when I start getting hungry during the battle, I eat some pepper. I'm almost certain a blessed one only takes 1 turn to consume.

This petition for a change to In Progress was accepted
12-31-2016 05:45 PM
Ancient Member
Did this change actually get implemented? EDIT: No it didn't. 1.1.1 values for B/U/C spenseweed: 34/15/1
Testing results from r69, B/U/C spenseweed: 30-38/7-17/1-6.

01-12-2017 07:53 AM
Ancient Member
yes and it is more than sufficient.

01-12-2017 08:14 AM
Ancient Member
i think most of the original issue was effectiveness of uncursed spenseweed. Uncursed means farming a pile and reading one scroll - which is always an option.

If someone wants to train herbalism and farm trillion of blessed spens I don't see a major problem. At least not while smithing, mass scroll writing, chaos alchemy, beggar farming for booze, multiple precrowns and other activities are there. Any of these can eventually break the game, if you invest enough time - most players opt not to go that route and there is no reason to enforce others to stop doing (presumably they like it).

01-12-2017 04:41 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Carter
yes and it is more than sufficient.
Really? So blessed spenseweed used to heal for something like 80? That doesn't match my recollections from 1.1.1 (nor the wiki, nor the IGB), but I'd be happy if you tested in an old version to prove me wrong...

EDIT: I found an old 1.1.1 file on a thumb-drive and tested this. B/U/C spenseweed healed for 34/15/1, which is within the r69 ranges. So no, this nerf has not been implemented.

+ Reply