Levitating characters should not slip in the Rift
issueid=6086 03-04-2018 01:22 PM
Number of reported issues by paivi: 17
Levitating characters should not slip in the Rift

Unless the cliffs of the Rift are sheer, featureless, steep rock walls (which they can't be, since the Rift can be climbed with a climbing set), levitating characters should not slip and fall with equipment damage.

Or maybe make slipping a possibility with cursed rings of levitation?
Issue Details
Issue Number 6086
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 3.1.2
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-04-2018 06:31 PM
Ancient Member
Honestly I think it should be the opposite, levitation keeps you a set distance from the ground, but can be overcome with enough momentum. So think about it: if you are levitating while trying to climb a wall it's pretty guaranteed that you are going to fall.

03-04-2018 10:36 PM
Probably in reality, you would be levitating above the rift, and then when it wears off you'll fall ala Wile E Coyote style lol

03-05-2018 10:32 AM
It would be a shame to see rift that easily passable with levitation. Maybe it could give some bonus but still won't prevent the fall?

03-05-2018 10:44 AM
Since the levitation message says you're floating a few cm above the ground, I'm imagining you should be able to float above the uneven surfaces of the cliffside. Based on my admittedly limited climbing experience, I'm imagining this should make setting up rope belays - which a rock climber would do with a climbing set - a lot easier since there is not so much weight on the rope, and you don't have to be so exact about your footholds. As long as you hold on to the rope, the way the ring works should help.

Rings of levitation are pretty rare at that stage of the game, so I'm not sure it would be unbalancing to allow safe rifting with them. However, I think Ixi's suggestion a better one - make levitating characters more unlikely to fall?

03-05-2018 12:46 PM
Ancient Member
If the rope was long enough, you'd never fall anyways, so in that situation, your character would need to set up more rope belays. The rift is a very deep and sheer cliff. As a climber you'd need both fingers and toes. If your feet repel the ground by 2 centimeters you'd be pretty hosed while trying anything requiring a free hand.

I'd like to emphasize that climbing without grip from your feet is nearly impossible for distance longer than a few feet.

03-05-2018 06:24 PM
I'm a bit reluctant to improving levitation even further. How about so that levitation does prevent the falling, but there's a 50/50 chance to drop your levitation-granting item (if ring, also gauntlets are dropped), and then the luck check gets done normally? The item would be intact at the bottom of the rift.

03-05-2018 08:42 PM
Or just don't allow rift entry while levitating.

03-05-2018 09:11 PM
Quote Originally Posted by psy_wombats
This would be my suggestion too

03-06-2018 08:17 AM
Quote Originally Posted by psy_wombats
That would be the easy way out, but I'm tempted to have these kinds of small slightly evil details in Adom. ;)

03-06-2018 03:10 PM
Or an additional evil way: levitation could give enough confidence for one that he could easily descend but won't help to avoid the fatal fall. With a special message saying how challenging actually climbing while levitsting was.

+ Reply