Containers for JADE
issueid=45 03-31-2008 07:31 PM
Number of reported issues by spectre: 3
Containers for JADE
Because, like, we need 'em

Sadly, THE iconic phat lewt container from all RPGs is sorely absent from ADOM. This is Jade, however, and we should think big. So let me present, without further ado, .. drumroll... the chest.

What does it look like?
There are many possibilities: 0 (just like a pool, the same coor as dungeon floor tile), ^ just like a a trap, or & like the forge. Personally, I vote for the first. It may change color to indicate if it's closed or open, in a manner similar to the pit trap.

How does it behave?
When you approach it, the game generates a text: A chest with a -/- lock is standing here. It is closed. (There may be variations: an old rusty chest, a small chest, battered, woden, whatever).
If it's opened, the text should say so, and tell if there are items inside, or if it is empty.

You can pick up the chest (should be heavy, starting from 1000stones, depending on material and what's inside), using the 'p'ick command, the game will ask you: Do you want to pick up the chest? y/n.

If you decline, you'll proceed to pick items from the floor (if there are any) and from the chest.
If you 'd'rop items, you're asked if you want to fill the chest, or drop them to the floor.

'o'pen command used on the tile with the chest opens/closes the continer. The chest may be locked, if so, lockpicking has to be applied. Kicking it open also works (chest traps anyone, maybe chance to damage items within? :]).

Chests have limited storage space, based on their size (say, it stores 2x the weight of the chest worth of items)

What good does it bring?
Common, we have chests. Chests are cool. That's iron logic for you right there. (-:
Items do not lie around anymore in disorder.
NPCs have places where they store their belongings. Gives options to thieves in cities.
More use for lockpicking.
If the code's in, we can have things like backpacks, pouches, sacks, etc. Though it may be pushing it a bit.
I think regular Chests are enough for most of our needs.

The possibility for artifacts:
Bag of Holding: no matter how much stuff you put inside, it weighs the same. But there's a limit to how much stuff will fit in.
Bag of Many Things: generates random stuff inside. Useful stuff, useless stuff, dangerous stuff. Would you dare to have a look?

EDIT: The idea was first proposed by hrothgar, btw. I simply expanded it a bit.
http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=41
Issue Details
Issue Number 45
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 23
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-01-2008 05:24 PM
Ancient Member
I've felt too that containers were missing in ADOM... Though I think those Bags of Holding should be very rare as I don't like the idea of the PC carrying amazing amounts of various rubbish.

04-01-2008 06:03 PM
Heh, idea of Bag of Holding and Bag of Many Things seems to be familiar to me :). But it's good idea, I'm voting for it.

04-01-2008 11:40 PM
Ancient Member
Locked and trapped chests would be great. Chest mimics anyone?

04-02-2008 03:33 PM
Bag of holding... Neverwinter nights? :)

Nice idea, invisible chest may be interesting too..

you step on something

fuck an monster!

you hit something

you hear wood creaking

a broken chest suddenly appears!

04-03-2008 10:58 AM
"Bag of holding... Neverwinter nights? :)"

Nah, it's just pure d&d stuff, as old as the first editions. Both ADOM and JADE are based on this, so it seems logical to include.

04-05-2008 12:40 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
Locked and trapped chests would be great. Chest mimics anyone?
You zap the wooden wand (spoiler:of monster generation).
A chest appears.

Hmm :P

04-05-2008 07:40 PM
Sadly, i had already proposed this in my post "buildings and stuff" but didnt get the attention of anyone... well i certainly agree with this. Im against the bag of holding or such artifacts though

04-06-2008 04:40 PM
You are right, your idea came first, I somehow forgot about that it was there.
I edited the first post to reflect that.

04-06-2008 06:12 PM
thanks

04-18-2008 02:13 PM
I think a bag of holding -style artifact or item could be easily implemented. Instead of the option to put stuff in the bag, it would simply add something to your carrying capacity. Simple, eh?

EDIT: Oops. I forgot that there's the girdle of carrying... What an embarrassing mistake.

04-19-2008 09:20 PM
Nah. I don't really miss containers, I usually find them quite pointless in various rougelikes.

04-20-2008 12:59 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Epythic
You zap the wooden wand (spoiler:of monster generation).
A chest appears.

Hmm :P
2nd try...
You zap the wand of monster generation.
A female chest appears.

;p

04-27-2008 11:48 AM
Voted against, why? Just because hassle to open containers won't bring anything for the gameplay in my point of view and about magic bag, it is already implemented through the atlas spell. And if you class isn't magic and the item rare well why not, anyway magic bags should be very rare.

06-21-2008 06:31 AM
I like the idea of loot chests dropping off monsters. You could lug one if these chests (if you're really strong) to your house back in town and it would be a good place to keep your extra equipment in.

Also, I read somewhere that there might be merchant PCs in jade. I think it would be logical for merchants to have a place to store their wares.

07-01-2008 05:30 PM
I agree that containers are generally a hassle in roguelikes. I much prefer a consolidated, manageable inventory view where I can take survey of what I'm carrying. It was always a pain in nethack to remember what was inside a bag, and what wasn't.

If one is to implement portable containers in a roguelike, it's only fair to ask why? Sure the concept of a bag of holding, in that it will let you carry more is nice. Why make it a bag though? We already have the notion of a "foo of carrying", or talents, stats, skills, or even intrinsic class-based bonuses that let you carry more.

Implementing bags, albeit "neat to some" will be a usability burden to all. I wish to cast my vehement "NAY" vote against this feature!

Immovable chests with locks/traps definitely add flavor, and I'm all for it.

07-02-2008 02:26 PM
Ancient Member
I think chests, if they are implemented, should behave similarly to doors: They block their space, can be kicked (or bashed) open, which triggers traps, or unlocked with the proper skill.

01-28-2009 07:10 AM
Banned
Me too, I dont really miss containers. They are not that useful.

03-22-2009 02:10 PM
Ancient Member
I would also like to see chests in-game. However, I think you should be able to pick them up. They will be really, really heavy obviously, but if you pick one up and say, drop it in Dawarftown(or JADE's equivalent), then put things inside the chest and lock it, the inhabitants of Dwarftown will recognize the chest as yours, and won't even try to open it. On the other hand, if you place one in Lawenothiel, you might find that a bandit ran off with your stuff.

07-06-2009 09:17 AM
I just like chests and all things chesty.

On a slightly more serious note though chests may make lockpicking more of a want instead of "I don't need fineese I got feet" mentality. I mean yeah everyone kicks down doors with wild abandon, but if when you kicked open a chest everything inside it burnt/was crushed if a trap activated people may be a little more careful. *ponders* What about: *presses k then 6* Just before you connect the lid opens and slams shut crushing your toes.

09-24-2009 04:10 AM
Ancient Member
Not only would locked chests would add a use for the seemingly useless ADOM skill Pick Locks, it would be a "safe" place to drop any items you don't want thumbless creatures randomly scooping up or, if locked, most non-smashing creatures from reaching. Probably have different makes of chests too. Wooden ones could be kicked/burnt (though shatterable/flamable items are at risk), stone ones could be smashed with sufficient force, tools or magical means, metal ones are even more difficult to open (especially if they are given higher metal types. Don't see an acid ball melting away that eternium chest as easily as that relatively flimsy iron one). Traps should definately be involved.

I don't see why creatures should drop chests of items though. Realistically, I don't see many creatures carrying a trunk of goods on them during their day job of mindlessly wandering a dungeon, just waiting for a roving adventurer to slay them and take all their goods. Chests should only be found in logical places (ie royal vaults, dwelling places [old barbarian probably would keep his old gear sitting in a foot locker by his bunk rather than wearing it around as he strolls his peaceful glade, unless he was feeling nostalgic], other commonly accepted places where storage would be the intent) as well as the faint chance of a randomly spawned one in the same way as pools or forges. Not something that would be common place, but often enough that most PCs are garunteed to find a few in their travels.

+ Reply