Two weapon combat and rangers
issueid=4134 12-02-2015 05:06 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blank4u47: 29
Two weapon combat and rangers
An attempt to make lvl 32 and 50 ranger class powers a bit more useful

So, rangers are a versatile and fun class to play, they excel at any form of non-magical combat, but they get 2 class powers which are intended to increase their TWC versatility, but in my opinion fail in that.

So my proposal is two-parted.

1) make two weapon combat energy cost be affected by weapon weight. There would be a slight (100) reduction to the base cost, but then add the 2 weapon's weight to the cost. So wielding 2 hand axes would give you the same cost, but 2 battle axes would cost you 40 extra. Not a big change, as the to hit penalty would be even more severe than the energy cost. on the flip side, it would start making more sense to wield lighter weapons as it would make your attacks a bit quicker.

2) make ranger class powers have an effect on weapon weight energy cost. So at lvl 32 if you keep playing with that battle axe of devastation you found, and use Rolf's axe the total weight would normally be 120, but your class power would make it 60, giving you a 40 energy point discount. At lvl 50, it'd be 70. Not game breaking or anything, and it would allow you to attack at less than 1000 energy points while dual wielding with mastery or higher in that weapon skill.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4134
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM r70 (v2.2.4)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-17-2016 05:26 AM
Ancient Member
*wipes off dust*

09-17-2016 03:59 PM
IMHO, instead of reducing energy cost for TWF, it is better to gift them extra bonus attacks at the same (hightened) energy cost, as well as extra bonus DV from dual-wielding: in real life, second weapon allows to parry more often, and to attack with the other hand while one weapon is occupied.

09-17-2016 04:16 PM
Ancient Member
In adom, reduced energy cost equals more attacks. Also the parrying is included in the DV increase from the 2nd weapon, however, it would be awesome if there was a parry feature in the game! But I'm mainly going for a minor change, because I feel it's more likely to be accepted that way.

09-17-2016 05:21 PM
In adom, reduced energy cost equals more attacks.
In a way, but what is more important is that it also equals less delay between actions, which allows you to do things like hit-and-run.
TWF in ADOM is all about trading more delay for more attacks - so reducing the energy is about reducing its cost (in a way making it a no-brainer), while extra bonus attacks is increasing the benefit without reducing that cost.
But I'm mainly going for a minor change
It is actually a major change, as you make it a no-brainer (or at least strongly reduce the disadvantage) of switching to a TWF. Extra bonus attacks does not have this problem, and can also make it more in line with the monster level up system that provides bonus attacks with no energy reduction per action.

09-17-2016 05:33 PM
Ancient Member
All true, but I don't see anything like extra attacks ever happening, and it might be way overpowered if it did happen. Not sure, I'll bust out the trusty pen and paper and see how it would add up.

09-18-2016 05:46 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
t is actually a major change, as you make it a no-brainer (or at least strongly reduce the disadvantage) of switching to a TWF. Extra bonus attacks does not have this problem, and can also make it more in line with the monster level up system that provides bonus attacks with no energy reduction per action.
Yes, it will. But doesn't it make sense for rangers? TWF was never a reason for me to play Ranger. Ever. With this change there will be only one class in game with which indeed is good with two light weapons. And it still won't be the easiest race to play...

09-18-2016 07:08 PM
Maybe make those extra attacks activated and with higher energy costs? It would be similar to "tremendous blow", only instead of doing more damage per hit rangers would be able to do more hits.

08-11-2017 03:00 AM
Ancient Member
Just setting this out there....

08-11-2017 05:20 PM
It would be nice to give Rangers a little love to their class powers, since they probably have the more weak ones.

+ Reply