Tag items as ammunition
issueid=2806 04-11-2014 10:56 PM
Number of reported issues by Setremedes: 4
Tag items as ammunition
Make non-standard missiles reloadable and pickup-equippable

Especially when playing as assassins (but surely for some other classes/players as well), it's possible to spend a significant amount of the game throwing non-standard ammunition - daggers, in the case of assassins, but people have won the game using thrown shields and such things. It would be really useful if you could tag items in your inventory (or categories of items globally - daggers in general, for example) as counting as ammunition for the purposes of reloading and equip-on-pickup querying.

Examples: If I throw my whole stack of seven daggers to deal with some nasty monster (or group of nasty monsters), I'll only be prompted to reload with things like rocks and throwing knives and boomerangs, even if I have another stack of daggers in my inventory. Additionally, if I pick my daggers back up with my missile slot empty, I then have to separately go into the item menu to re-add them to the missile slot. It would be incredibly useful if I could tell the game to treat my stack of daggers as missile weapons for the purposes of those two features, or even if I could tell it to treat any items called "dagger" as such.

While I'm wishing, perhaps a feature where you can tag weapons as primary weapons or similar, such that if you're disarmed and pick them back up, you get a prompt to equip?
Issue Details
Issue Number 2806
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 20
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-11-2014 11:41 PM
Ancient Member
That sounds like a good idea to me. I know it was annoying to be prompted to reload rocks/quarrels/arrows and not my poisoned daggers when I was playing an assassin. What kind of assassin uses a bow/sling/crossbow, anyways? Or at least, no stylish assassin does.

04-12-2014 01:53 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Superteeth
That sounds like a good idea to me. I know it was annoying to be prompted to reload rocks/quarrels/arrows and not my poisoned daggers when I was playing an assassin. What kind of assassin uses a bow/sling/crossbow, anyways? Or at least, no stylish assassin does.
I dunno, shooting poisoned quarrels (especially from a hand crossbow!) sounds pretty stylish to me. :)

12-02-2014 12:26 AM
Voting for. This has been annoying me for a while and I'm reminded of its necessity as my freshly-rolled assassin just started with 8 daggers in 6 different stacks. At this point using those daggers for their intended purpose of throwing is so tedious that I'm just unloading them and would rather throw rocks.

Another option for a fix would be to simply classify daggers as missiles. Using them as melee weapons would still work the same, since you can easily equip an item of any type into your melee weapon slots, but using them as missiles would be greatly simplified.

12-02-2014 03:37 AM
Duplicate of http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3404

(My thread has a comprehensive plan for implementing this as well, so you should give it a read)

12-02-2014 03:55 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Dogbreath
Duplicate of http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3404

(My thread has a comprehensive plan for implementing this as well, so you should give it a read)
My search didn't reveal that feature request because I searched for "dagger" and apparently "daggers" is not considered a viable result to that by the search engine. Kind of a rotten way to behave for a search engine imo.

Anyway, I'm fine with any implementation that streamlines the process of reloading daggers and yes, if it could be expanded to other items as well, like spears, then that would be even better. Voted yes on your feature request as well.

12-02-2014 09:26 AM
{EDIT: darn! Sorry. Late at night. I'd forgotten the "duplicate" link. I should have gone through that..}
I wonder if a good mechanic would be to be able to be able to nominate any inventory item (or stack) as "preferred thown ammunition." Then everything of that type would be treated as thown ammo, be it holy symbols, daggers, spears, coins, etc.

Then you will get the appropriate choices of adding it to your current stack of ammuniton, or reloading with the next stack of that item. (Though this makes me think that coins might be excluded from this, as that stack can't be split, right?)

Furthermore, it will stop the game asking about loading other types of ammunition. So, once you run out of daggers it won't ask you about reloading with rocks (if it does now.) ..and you could nominate standard ammunitiion types, so if you're using sling-bullets the game doesn't ask about reloading with rocks either. Or you could nominate rocks, and it won't try to use your precious sling bullets when you run out of rocks.

Could be quite a useful function actually. {EDIT 2: After reading Dogbreath's thread, I think I like his suggested implementation better.} :)

+ Reply