Make the black tome more usable
issueid=2611 01-06-2014 04:46 PM
Number of reported issues by IGB: 12
Make the black tome more usable

Similarly to boots of great speed, the black tome is another artifact needing improvement so it is somewhat useful. I suggest:
* halve the corruption caused by reading
* make it always learn a new spell
* make the reading success only straigt literacy check without taking class, level, concentration, learning etc into account so that mindcrafters and barbarians have a way to learn spells. The spell knowledge on successfull reading should be calculated normally
Issue Details
Issue Number 2611
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 17
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-06-2014 05:28 PM
i only like the third part of this idea. i think the rest should stay as it is. reading the tome is, after all, a dangerous gamble.

01-06-2014 05:31 PM
Ancient Member
Duplicate of 2546

01-06-2014 05:44 PM
Ancient Member
If a buff was to be made, I would agree with point 3, but I don't think it's necessary because not everything must be balanced.

PS: I read "Make the black tome more visible" when I first read the title. This made me wonder, why isn't the tome colored black when lying on the floor?

01-06-2014 05:47 PM
Ancient Member
I think these suggestions are all fine. It's not like it makes it usable or desirable, but if some crazy farmer does decide to read it, at least he might learn Wish instead of wasting 3000 turns and just getting corrupted. And always learning a new spell gives some appropriate thought to using it (say, you haven't found Acid Ball yet). particularly looking at pts 2 & 3.

It'd still be a giant vortex of suck/disappointment, but at least there would be a conceivable use for it in some situations rather than none except for gut's amusement.

01-06-2014 07:40 PM
I think a minor improvement is OK, especially point 3.

If I find the Black Tome in the early game, I'm likely to read it for a spell or two if my character has high Le and is not a wizard. I mean, heck--it's an infinite spellbook! You can easily get spells that you might never find otherwise. Easily worth a couple of corruptions for some characters.
The decision is comparable to choosing whether or not to eat Keethrax for +2Le and +3Ma, and 1 corruption.

01-09-2014 11:12 AM
I agree, the costs are too heavy to be useful as is. It would make it useable to everybody if #3 was implemented, but not overpowered in any way (costs are still heavy). Otherwise it's almost always a sacrificial fodder for crowning or the demented ratling.

11-01-2015 12:38 PM
I'm okay with the Black Tome being pretty darn bad. But I don't like how it's pretty much useless in every conceivable situation.

I don't really care what gets changed, but make it SOMEWHAT applicable in just one vaguely conceivable situation.

11-01-2015 01:21 PM
Ancient Member
I'd drop the corruption from carrying and keep the corruption from reading as is. Other than that I'd reduce the reading time to zero. That would be its foremost advantage over reading a normal spellbook.

11-01-2015 01:41 PM
My vote is for proposal #3 as well.
I agree on reducing corruption from carrying for any artifacts and reducing time required to read as well (altough not to zero) and think that corruption from reading should stay as is too.

11-01-2015 05:42 PM
I agree with point 2 and 3. These improves the tome without removing its penalty by causing corruption at reading. Corruption by carring it should only happens if there can more than one spell be learnable from the tome.

11-01-2015 07:56 PM
Agreeing with #3, not the others.

11-17-2015 04:40 PM
I think a *unique* feature would be more interesting, i.e. letting the player select the spell he wants to learn.

11-17-2015 05:37 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
I think a *unique* feature would be more interesting, i.e. letting the player select the spell he wants to learn.
If you did that I'd think you'd want to tie amount of corruption gained to the spell. Learning "Light" is low corruption, learning "Acid Ball" is fairly high, and learning "Wish" is ridiculous (probably lethal? Maybe not if you have the right starsign/class power?)

11-17-2015 06:27 PM
SinsI's suggestion is really interesting, actually. I wouldn't mind if that were implemented.

Personally however I'd go for nixing the carrying corruption or alternately halving the reading corruption and/or reading time. It'd be nice for class not to factor into it since it's one of the few spellbooks that physical classes might actually find.

+ Reply