Toning down pet hostility triggers
issueid=3923 10-10-2015 08:31 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by pblack: 7
Toning down pet hostility triggers

This is one of those things up for debate, but I do think pets ought to be more reliable.

I mean, even with a bard if your pet gets poisoned it can turn on you quickly. And if the point of the class is to have powerful companions, then the game shouldn't make you afraid of having such pets. It's handicap enough that they are XP stealers IMO.

I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, but the triggers that make this happen could use a revision.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3923
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-11-2015 03:48 AM
Yes, I definitely agree. Pet kills should also give the pc experience (even if it is only a very small percentage).

I would go a step further here and say that instead of pets turning on the pc when they are caught in a fireball trap, some animal pets should actually be able to detect traps. In real life dogs, and even rats (google it), are used to detect mines. It's not a stretch to say that they could sniff out traps in the game.

There could just be a simple message like "The dog barks at the door" or something when detection is successful. I'm sure someone could come up with a better message, but you get the point.

Not saying they should be 100% effective, just that animals should be doing the opposite of what they are now, which is increasing liability with regard to traps.

10-11-2015 03:50 AM
Also pets should consistently remember the pc if left somewhere, and should never spontaneously stop liking them as I think they sometimes do now even if they stay with you. Isn't that the case? I don't mess with pets very much, so I may be misremembering this last part.

+ Reply