Attacked by troll brute from far away
issueid=991 05-06-2012 10:34 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Al-Khwarizmi: 62
Attacked by troll brute from far away

I was on lvl. 2 of a dungeon, filled with ogres and troll brutes. A troll brute began to attack me with a great club, so I retreated to inside the dungeon walls (had the earth shard). I retreated to places where it was impossible that he got me (inside walls, far away from the place where I found him, and no enemies in sight) but I kept getting messages of being attacked with a great club and losing HP. I eventually died, reportedly killed by a troll brute.

I suppose that there are no invisible troll brutes that pass walls so I'm guessing a bug...
Issue Details
Issue Number 991
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Gameplay
Status Fixed
Priority 3
Affected Version ADOM II 0.2.6
Fixed Version ADOM II 0.2.7
Users able to reproduce bug 5
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-07-2012 12:02 AM
Well I didn't have earth shard, just was running away from a troll brute, left it behind, and it still killed me somehow. Now that's quite imbalanced ;).

05-07-2012 02:15 PM
Ancient Member
It isn't exclusive to troll brutes, it has just happened to me with a female hill giant, also wielding a large great club. The message you see when she's attacking and she's not there is "Someone bashes at you with a large great club". I even managed to exit the level and then go back, but as soon as I went back to that level I was again receiving blows all the time as if the giant were near me. At the end she killed me.

05-07-2012 07:15 PM
Well, it's official then - ADoM 2 has ranged attacks ;). More seriously, maybe TB tried to implement huge creatures with huge weapons having range > 1? Would make sense, if it didn't misfire horribly ;).

05-07-2012 07:26 PM
I think the problem is in the large great club, since I've also seen alot of enemies do this, but always with that weapon.

05-07-2012 09:11 PM
In 0.2.3, monster could kill you by bashing doors: the damage dealt to the door was applied ot the PC. Maybe the fix introduced some borderline effects?

05-08-2012 01:04 AM
Just got my head smashed in by an Ogre standing on the other side of the wall...

05-08-2012 01:19 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Corco
I think the problem is in the large great club, since I've also seen alot of enemies do this, but always with that weapon.
I actually just encountered that problem with an orc wielding a morning star. Going to attach more screen shots.

05-08-2012 06:01 AM
The Creator
That's really amazing... I will look into this as I remember adding yet another check to attack options that makes sure that melee can only happen when the beings are directly adjacent. I've never seen it happen to myself though...

05-08-2012 07:38 AM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
That's really amazing... I will look into this as I remember adding yet another check to attack options that makes sure that melee can only happen when the beings are directly adjacent. I've never seen it happen to myself though...
It is rather frequent if you have to retreat, e.g. from troll brutes.

05-08-2012 03:57 PM
I've had exactly the same experience with Troll Brutes. One killed me from around a corner.

05-08-2012 04:17 PM
I just discovered another variant of this bug.

While standing in a hallway, I kept seeing messages about someone trying to disarm me. Now I know there is an invisible orc (I think) on that level because I killed him and he dropped a corpse before I was owned shortly after. The problem is that he followed me around and it was kind of hard for me to attack him because no matter where I hit, he was never there. So I went into said hallway. Oddly enough, my invisible opponent kept disarming me, but no matter to which side I stepped and tried to attack him from, I never hit him. He just wasn't in the hallway.

05-16-2012 05:10 AM
The Creator
Fixed for ADOM II 0.2.7. Please send your real name to creator(at)ancientdomainsofmystery.com for it to be included in the credits. (If you were already asked to do so you can ignore this message. Please include a reference to the bug or RFE you are credited for.)

+ Reply